WOAH!! Gadd!!!

That was a pleasure to watch! Thanks for posting it. I hadn't seen that Gadd vid before. It was interesting to see him play in that type of a venue, For lack of a better word.

Not to be a dick, but I thought that was a horrible version of that song. No soul whatsoever. That song requires a lot more feel. I feel bad saying this, and I'm sure I'll get strung up by the Gadd police. He's a legend, I know, but this is a terrible example of everyones playing. Sounds like a high school band.

Great for nostalgia though. Old videos like this are hard to come by for a lot of older players.

I'll take my kick in the balls now...

EDIT:

Okay, the guitar solo isn't bad, and the drum breakdown is very.... precise... But I stand by my accusation. NO SOUL!!!!

Not to be a dick, but I thought that was a horrible version of that song. No soul whatsoever. That song requires a lot more feel. I feel bad saying this, and I'm sure I'll get strung up by the Gadd police. He's a legend, I know, but this is a terrible example of everyone's playing. Sounds like a high school band.

Great for nostalgia though. Old videos like this are hard to come by for a lot of older players.

I'll take my kick in the balls now...

EDIT:

Okay, the guitar solo isn't bad, and the drum breakdown is very.... precise... But I stand by my accusation. NO SOUL!!!!
Richard!! (J/K, L0L!!), it wasn't ABOUT the song, it was about GADD!!!!

The GUITAR solo?? I thought THAT was the horrible part!!!

Yeah, they're square as Lawrence Welk, but it was an ARMY band for goodness sake!! it's not like there's a world of musicians to pick from. You get who's enlisted!!

The 'Stache was totally in control. Thank God its plans for world domination got thwarted.

Nice vintage Rogers tone!!!!! Kick drum is . . well. . . KICKIN'!!!! That's a GREAT tuning for a drumkit. The whole damn thing sounds great!![/QUOTE said:
I know, I want to go back in time and steal it for my very own!

WHOA is right! That's one stiff band! To his credit, Gadd does everything he can to get the tune movin'...
Is he wearing jeans? And, yeah, the tone, for that type of recording, is just sweet!

Agree, soulless, and the guitar solo was poor. Steve has the most feeling of anyone as far as I could tell. Those shoulder thingys have to go too. It sounds like they never heard the tune done right, as if they just read it off the page. Lacked groove, vibe and soul. Very white.

My 2 cents- Dont think Cissy Strut lends itself to BB arrangements. It gets too... ungainly and chunky..

Notice the space where the guitar takes a solo ( awful solo ), when the band sounds like a smaller combo.. the tune sounds fine there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OffJBDeF1Tk&feature=related

and some straight ahead...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGKva6KptAc&feature=related

See, it's a little different now.

Some of the best all around players out there kill to get in these bands.

Great stuff.. I've heard a Navy Band destroy a gig once. I'd pay to see them again..

That lead trombonist reminds me of Mr. Bean..?

These military big bands have come a long way in 40 years. Now they're considered some of the best in the world.

Here's the same band you guys are slamming playing a funk tune just last week.

Not really the "same band"... I've seen a lot of the contemporary military bands.. Some of them are smokin' hot. I think that we are all really just having a laugh at the overall stiffness of a tune which we are now used to hearing as a funk anthem.

No worries, the Army, Navy, Marine, Air Force bands kick ass (now) and are in no way easy to get into.

The band was dabbling in the latest stylistic directions.. maybe they could do 'em, and maybe they couldn't. This one probably falls into the latter (the melody sounds particularly hokey) but I don't blame 'em for trying.

And nice to see Gadd being Gadd back in 1970.

Dang! Some of you guys can be harsh!
Maybe a little stiff, maybe a big ungainly..... but I LIKED IT!

Back