drumming on an iPad

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
Unfortunately I was diagnosed with a medical condition that requires me to undergo several procedures and significant treatment over the next 6 weeks, and then to be followed by major surgery. So I will not be able to drum on my kits for the next 4 months or so. I was looking at small electronic drum pad-type machine kits, but they seem pretty cheaply made. I have been contemplating buying an iPad for a while now, even before I developed this medical condition. I have a couple drum apps for my iPod, but the screen is so small that my fat fingers can't hit the bass, snare, or cymbals accurately. I'm thinking the iPad would be big enough to allow me to hit the correct symbols. Some of the drum apps sound pretty realistic, but I know it won't be the same as the real thing.

My intent is to use the iPad while playing at church, and plug it into the sound system and the drums would come through the mains.

Has anyone here ever tried this? I need to figure out what kind of cables/adapters I'd use to plug into the mixing board.

I found this video of someone (go to about :40 seconds in) playing the drums on an iPad and it sounds fairly good. I certainly wouldn't be playing anything this complicated at church, so it would be much more simple for me:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...DC0311EDEA9C35&first=0&qpvt=iPad+drumming+app

Here's a review of the Drum Meister app for the iPad - seems like a good one and it's only $1.99:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...074B4A48B65BCC&first=0&qpvt=iPad+drumming+app

You can also do some cool stuff arranging tracks in Garage Band on an iPad (or iPhone), so composing a backing track that way might also be a good alternative if performing using the iPad doesn't work out well. You can essentially multitrack-record yourself playing the Garage Band drums and edit the resulting track afterwards, or completely compose through the track editor.

Sorry to learn you're going to be off the kit for a while, best wishes for a complete and full recovery.

sounds like you will be able to use your hands...?

Maybe a programmable drum pad (one with 4 different pads that can be assigned any sound) would be better.

Dont know anything about these but I have iPad drum apps and they arent perfect- easy to miss a beat.

Simmons SDD7
Alesis sample pad

NEver used any of this but just looked through GC catalog and its fresh in my mind.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Best wishes for speedy recovery.

Back