Garage band (imac) vs CUbase le 4 agony

I'm waiting for 10.6 to do my upgrade of OS/X, but I like the fact that they don't do a complete re-write as well. The source is UNIX, which is stable as Hell and they can't really go wrong - they've accepted issues with the system in the past and quickly sorted out solutions for users. I really think Apple are winning the OS war at the moment; the number of Apple systems I've seen around University is getting more and more with each day.

I'm waiting for 10.6 to do my upgrade of OS/X, but I like the fact that they don't do a complete re-write as well. The source is UNIX, which is stable as Hell and they can't really go wrong - they've accepted issues with the system in the past and quickly sorted out solutions for users. I really think Apple are winning the OS war at the moment; the number of Apple systems I've seen around University is getting more and more with each day.

It's shocking to note the extremes the US Government has to go to to secure and maintain xp/vista that it runs. The extreme measures, restrictions and (lack of) stability issues would not exist if we contracted for Macs, or at least linux.

Armed services multimedia services *all* use loaded macs with huge displays.

Funny that you mention Linux. I'm messing around with various distributions on an old PC Laptop that I have. I've tried Fedora 10 and 9 on there (9 is awesome), Ubuntu 6.06, 8.04 (current install), 8.10, Madriva, (whatever the new one is) Puppy Linux (great micro distribution) and at least a couple of others I forget. All I can say is that they're all pretty good and it won't be long until commercial companies will start producing software for at least the Debian-based systems. Now Microsoft have been made vulnerable, more savvy users are starting to get their way again. Interesting how the tide turns.

Funny that you mention Linux. I'm messing around with various distributions on an old PC Laptop that I have. I've tried Fedora 10 and 9 on there (9 is awesome), Ubuntu 6.06, 8.04 (current install), 8.10, Madriva, (whatever the new one is) Puppy Linux (great micro distribution) and at least a couple of others I forget. All I can say is that they're all pretty good and it won't be long until commercial companies will start producing software for at least the Debian-based systems. Now Microsoft have been made vulnerable, more savvy users are starting to get their way again. Interesting how the tide turns.

My (now retired) PC with cubase was set up as a dual boot to kubuntu. I didn't get too far, because that pc (unlike this one) had too many proprietary media boards/chips that ubuntu didn't like. That may also be why Cubase hated it as well.

That was the only, and last "pre built" pc I have owned in 18 years.

I tried Kubuntu on there too actually now I think about it. Hated the KDE interface with an absolute passion. Next on the list is Xubuntu. My main problem is the damned Broadcom wireless adapter in the laptop - same problem you have with the drivers. I have to go around and use a firmware cutter every time I install the system and I invariably forget how to do it.

I tried Kubuntu on there too actually now I think about it. Hated the KDE interface with an absolute passion. Next on the list is Xubuntu. My main problem is the damned Broadcom wireless adapter in the laptop - same problem you have with the drivers. I have to go around and use a firmware cutter every time I install the system and I invariably forget how to do it.

I think I gravitated toward that because of the GUI, maybe gnome would have been better. But when you have a "windows xp media edition" pc, it's as if it is designed to react like a body rejecting an organ transplant if it has anything except xp media edition on it.

That would sound about right. No surprises there. I think my next laptop is going to be one of those subnotebooks with dual boot XP and Ubuntu. I need XP to run Max/MSP but the rest of the time it'll be a Linux distribution. Ideally I'd get a Mac, but I'm considering a Mac Pro as my next desktop and a small (non Mac) laptop.

That would sound about right. No surprises there. I think my next laptop is going to be one of those subnotebooks with dual boot XP and Ubuntu. I need XP to run Max/MSP but the rest of the time it'll be a Linux distribution. Ideally I'd get a Mac, but I'm considering a Mac Pro as my next desktop and a small (non Mac) laptop.

I was under the impression that the new intel-based macs would run XP apps? I don't know how good...

They run XP full stop natively. Dual boot system on Boot Camp. They'll also run Linux if you want them to. I was referring to my next laptop, which I doubt will be a Mac laptop - mainly because of the expense and the fact that I'm a poor student.

I have a rubbermaid folding table (approximately 5' wide) that I am going to have to use instead of my round table.

With all this gear, I need to spread it out better.

I am also considering a wireless mouse and keyboard to eliminate a couple cables.

My Mac arrived via ups today. It took less time to go from the box, to recording than it did simply to install and register cubase.

Power on.
Make a few language choices.
Instantly recognizes netgear network, and several others in the area, with a signal so strong it blows away the signal I was getting on my PC
Instantly recognizes Lacie backup via time machine.
Instantly recognizes firestudio
Launch garage band.
Instantly recognizes firestudio control input and synchs.
Add track, record done.
The end. All that took a whole 20 minutes from the box.

This was the easiest computer setup I have had since plugging in an Atari to a TV set.

Now I am updating software, and getting something less rudimentary than iphoto--like GIMP.

Rudimentary recording studio:

Attachments

• studio 1.jpg
    studio 1.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 1,310
Last edited:
A brisk 675mb of software updates, GIMP and Open office and I now have a full function workstation.

Now comes the challenge of recording. I also intend to experiment with the recordability of 2002 vs Zildjian A customs.

I will also find a more elegant way to route the wires and set up the presonus.

My side snare will be here no later than saturday.

Good to see it's all working for you mate! It's really not difficult is it?

Good to see it's all working for you mate! It's really not difficult is it?

I am surrounded at work with hardcore Mac naysayers. That, was a waste of breath on their part.

If relationships with women were this easy, I'd have a dozen right now.

I hate to call this stuff a no-brainer, but nothing "PC" has ever worked this well and this quickly. It's almost scary how well it works. Setting up vista +cubase was a project to keep my blood pressure intact after the 14th re-boot and complete failure to interface with the presonus.

Reservations I had were gone, and os/x does everything better -in every conceivable way- than xp or vista with the possible exception of crashing.

If I thought I could get a fair price for my PC, I would sell it and get another IMAC.

My PC's days are numbered, because it will get replaced, if by attrition.

My Mac arrived via ups today. It took less time to go from the box, to recording than it did simply to install and register cubase.

Power on.
Make a few language choices.
Instantly recognizes netgear network, and several others in the area, with a signal so strong it blows away the signal I was getting on my PC
Instantly recognizes Lacie backup via time machine.
Instantly recognizes firestudio
Launch garage band.
Instantly recognizes firestudio control input and synchs.
Add track, record done.
The end. All that took a whole 20 minutes from the box.

This was the easiest computer setup I have had since plugging in an Atari to a TV set.

Now I am updating software, and getting something less rudimentary than iphoto--like GIMP.

Rudimentary recording studio:

I have my iMac on that same exact table. Plenty of room to spread out.
Now you need a small midi/keyboard to add piano and effects to your drum playing.

If it's any consolation, mine hasn't crashed in over two years.

I haven't seen the blue screen of death often, however...

In XP and vista things happen that MS claims the system was designed to avoid. One application can go haywire and lock up the whole system. This is to the point the task manager has no effect or cannot even be used. This happens plenty of times.

If this happens in linux/OS/X they have a force shutdown to kill the offending application.

On a pc, it just goes into a coma as all memory/CPU resources are gone.

Power off... restart. Safe mode? Normal?

Xp and Vista are uncooperative multi-crashing platforms.

I am completely amazed how fast the imac runs on ONE gig of ram. XP and especially vista need much more just to be minimally useful. My 4gb module has been shipped and should be here soon.

Ok, minor fiddling, not a killer learning curve.

I was able to do a test recording. It sounds like I have mics on EACH drum, not just overheads.

I don't quite have the depth of the ban's , but the attack and most of the tone is there.

I had to set the mics to midpoint and let er rip. I have some slight cleanup to do with the kick, but that's it.

Finally!

I just have to figure out a few more tweaks on how garage band works, and get the kick dialed in.

Definaetly getting low end through the sub!

Back