Bass Drum noise?

MuDvAyNe

Hey guys, i just bought my Yamaha DTXtreme 3 and i have a problem. I live in an appartment and my neighbours (mainly the ones downstairs) keep complaining because my bass drum's noise is disturbing and loud. Any ideas what to do?
Oh and by saying my bass drum's noise i mean the pads noise not the real sound because i always use headphones to play.

Thanks

Yeah, this is the age old dilemma with having a kit in an apartment. My old neighbors were very cool with me playing during daytime hours (before 8pm). Then we got new neighbors that would party all week till 3am keeping the whole neighborhood awake. They hated me playing drums...guess drums & hangovers don't mix well.

Maybe you can ask them what would be the best time for you to practice, a little communication goes a long way sometimes. Your complex may have a noise ordinance or rule also ???

In any case. I went next door to listen while my boy pounded away on cymbals, toms and kick. THE ONLY THING heard was that kick shacking the picture frames on the walls lol. Maybe you can put cloth on the beater ????? good luck.

MuDvAyNe;512680Any ideas what to do? Thanks[/QUOTE said:
No..it is a problem of your house being build. if the house is being build by reduce stepnoice standards you will have no prolems. Other than this the"soft"sound of your pads will transfer to the walls, and will be amplified so that the guy living in the flat under yours will hear it much louder. I once lived in an apartment: the ceiling was kinda 2 layers, no dampening just air between the floor above me and my ceiling. This was like an amplifier.the resonance principle.exactly as drums work.......I lived in a box like a mouse, and if anyboy slightly scratched on the box top, I wet crazy, my neighbour above me, who was a professional cook, and a good friend was a cool guy he use to cook for me each day. But whenever I wanted to sleep he started to wipe his floor, and the sound of this created a hell of a noice..I solved the probem by moving out...Now I live in an appartment, in a big house, where I do not here anything from the neighbours and I can practise on my Roland BD pedals without anyone who lives in the flat under me complaining..Only trouble I have is my ol lady, she keeps telling me not to practise on my Roland, cause it might lead to any neighbour to complain. My opinion about this is: I do not give any shit about what my ol lady says about drumming. grin

excuse my bla bla

MuDvAyNe;512680Any ideas what to do? Thanks[/QUOTE said:
No..it is a problem of your house being build. if the house is being build by reduce stepnoice standards you will have no prolems. Other than this the"soft"sound of your pads will transfer to the walls, and will be amplified so that the guy living in the flat under yours will hear it much louder. I once lived in an apartment: the ceiling was kinda 2 layers, no dampening just air between the floor above me and my ceiling. This was like an amplifier.the resonance principle.exactly as drums work.......I lived in a box like a mouse, and if anyboy slightly scratched on the box top, I wet crazy, my neighbour above me, who was a professional cook, and a good friend was a cool guy he use to cook for me each day. But whenever I wanted to sleep he started to wipe his floor, and the sound of this created a hell of a noice..I solved the probem by moving out...Now I live in an appartment, in a big house, where I do not here anything from the neighbours and I can practise on my Roland BD pedals without anyone who lives in the flat under me complaining..Only trouble I have is my ol lady, she keeps telling me not to practise on my Roland, cause it might lead to any neighbour to complain. My opinion about this is: I do not give any shit about what my ol lady says, as long as it is about drumming. grin
Electronic bass pedals create an almost unhearable click but the click is amplified through the floor/ceiling and it is very much louder to the guy living the floor under you...and if you practise often specially at night and maybe drunk, this can drive the guy living under you crazy...
respect your neighbours.. there is no way how to do it by buing any noice reducing carpet or such....
excuse my bla bla

You could try something like these interlocking foam matts. I have used them and they are easy to store too. These should take away the thump being transmitted to down stairs.
http://www.gymworld.co.uk/prodpage.asp?ProdID=6350

Which one of these have you tried?Because i've been thinking that the 20mm might not be enough and the others are kinda expensive. And btw have you put your whole drumset on these or just the bass drum?

I have cut up mouse pads under everything between my drums and the floor (between the snare and its stand, too). They help keep the sound from going through the floor, and although this wouldn't matter to you since you have electronic drums, they make the drums sound WAY better. This might be overboard but I have four layers of mousepad under each of my floor tom legs and it has helped the resonance and overall sound exponentially.

I have cut up mouse pads under everything between my drums and the floor (between the snare and its stand, too). They help keep the sound from going through the floor, and although this wouldn't matter to you since you have electronic drums, they make the drums sound WAY better. This might be overboard but I have four layers of mousepad under each of my floor tom legs and it has helped the resonance and overall sound exponentially.

Isn't that rather unstable?

Back