Atlas mount: good and bad!

I have a Ludwig Legacy Classic with a 26, 14, 16, 18 setup. I added the atlas arch to the bass drum and it great. perfect positioning for the 14x10 rack tom over a 26x14 bass drum, love it!
the 14x10 has the atlas mount in place of one of the top lugs and it kills the sound of the drum, just does not resonate. if I pick the drum up, hold it by the hoop and strike it, it sings.
I'm wondering if the 14x10 3ply is just to heavy, or am I missing something here? I moved the drum up and down the L-arm to see id it made a difference but no. its just dead when its mounted.
bottom line= looks great, sounds like crap.

Perhaps you should tune the drum while it's on the mount. That was the way to get the drums to sing back in the day before suspension mounts became popular. In fact, on my vintage 1976 Rogers memriloc kit, my rack toms were both dead when I put them on the tom mount on the bass drum. I just tuned them in place and brought the ringiness back.

The largest drum that I have a new Atlas mount on is my 1968 Keystone 3 ply 9"x13" tom and it works great. I also have a new Atlas mount on the 8"x12" tom on the same kit.
I have also installed one on the 8"x12" tom on my 65 Slingerland kit.
I can't see why you are having trouble with your 10"x14"?
How was it mounted before? Did it have an old style shell mount?

I know the atlas mount is rubber isolated, but all the weight of the drum is still suspended by a small footprint or 2 screw lug. that's got to put some pressure/distortion on the shell.
next up, I will put the tom on a Gauger r.i.m.s. mount. see what happens!

Strange... at worst it should sound like a drum with a standard shell mount. The Atlas mounts do work though, they certainly don't kill the tone on my rack toms up to 13" (haven't converted my 14" Legacy yet... maybe I need to check it out!)

Bermuda

I gotta check out your kit sometime John.

I'd tune it up/tweak while it's mounted. It shouldn't sound "worse" than a regular small mount on the tom.
Sounds great on the tom at H&B. It's a very lively sound (as you probably heard at the shop)

Pretty sure I have a 14" RIMS if you want to try it out though.

For people who have not seen these mounts--The mount is on two "screws" but they are actually nice sized bolts, with lock nuts, and larger washers to keep everything secure.
I was using one for my cowbell, but I moved it to use for my ride. They show two mounts and a rod for mounting the ride, but I haven't had an issue just putting the ride cymbal mount off of just the one (with a 24" ride) with the "usual" L-rod deal.

I added a pair of Ludwig Atlas Anchor Spurs that use the Atlas mounts to the 20" virgin bass drum on my 1968 Keystone kit today. It had the original vintage 3/8" gull wing spurs.
The Atlas Anchors made a big difference in the volume and the punch. 3 ply shells are very affected by hardware that is mounted on them. The drum is also much more stable especially when I am rolling with my double pedals.
The Atlas mounts are a winner as far as I am concerned. I can't find any cons to using them.

Last edited:
I added a pair of Ludwig Atlas Anchor Spurs that use the Atlas mounts to the 20" virgin bass drum on my 1968 Keystone kit today. It had the original vintage 3/8" gull wing spurs.
The Atlas Anchors made a big difference in the volume and the punch. 3 ply shells are very affected by hardware that is mounted on them. The drum is also much more stable especially when I am rolling with my double pedals.
The Atlas mounts are a winner as far as I am concerned. I can't find any cons to using them.

I was wondering about those spurs, and I'm happy to hear that they work so well. I know I keep talking about having my Ludwig kit refurbished, and I will do it as soon as possible, meaning when I have the dough, but when Ludwig came out with the Atlas mounts I couldn't believe it. They're perfect for fixing up my drums. But I just wasn't sure about those spurs, they look so weird and I wondered how solid they'd be.

But now it's the new Atlas hardware all the way. Just what I needed for my project. I see this stuff as being a real innovation, quite brilliant really, and so simple. Way to go Ludwig.

I was wondering about those spurs, and I'm happy to hear that they work so well. I know I keep talking about having my Ludwig kit refurbished, and I will do it as soon as possible, meaning when I have the dough, but when Ludwig came out with the Atlas mounts I couldn't believe it. They're perfect for fixing up my drums. But I just wasn't sure about those spurs, they look so weird and I wondered how solid they'd be.

But now it's the new Atlas hardware all the way. Just what I needed for my project. I see this stuff as being a real innovation, quite brilliant really, and so simple. Way to go Ludwig.
Jay, I am currently using Atlas mounts on my 60's ludwig kit and also on the tom of my 65 Slingerland Bop Kit.
Links to video tours http://youtu.be/5Ru9Jv5BTwo
http://youtu.be/DpcqE676dlw

Back