Remote hat stands?

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
After watching a cool Chris Dave clip I thought about getting a remote hat stand... I have the pearl one that doesn't have the pedal/cable:

picture.php

But I have always sort of admired these things from afar. I think different setups inspire you to do different things and I might go and buy one. I can always regret it later.

One cool idea: I could mount it from the bass drum mount on my yamaha kick, for a unique and minimalist live setup. Has anyone done this?

Or anyone been through this and come out the other side thinking they're not nice and it was maybe a waste of $$$?

I am aware of the Bill Bachman remote hat but it doesn't suit me as I think I want to mount them on the right hand side and have a left foot pedal.

So ignoring that one I can see there's a pearl, a dw, and the trick, and the trick turns me on the most. I'm sure they're all pretty good, but if you have tried them please leave me some feedback.

If you mount it from the bass mount how are you going to get the remote cable into the bass so it will go up the mount and into the stand?

I looked into them a long time ago and tried out the DW5000 version. they are nice, little lag (compared to a standard HH stand) because of the length of the cable. In the end I just couldn't justify the cost. To me an X-Hat mount to the right like you currently have just made more sense.

After watching a cool Chris Dave clip I thought about getting a remote hat stand... I have the pearl one that doesn't have the pedal/cable:

picture.php

But I have always sort of admired these things from afar. I think different setups inspire you to do different things and I might go and buy one. I can always regret it later.

One cool idea: I could mount it from the bass drum mount on my yamaha kick, for a unique and minimalist live setup. Has anyone done this?

Or anyone been through this and come out the other side thinking they're not nice and it was maybe a waste of $$$?

I am aware of the Bill Bachman remote hat but it doesn't suit me as I think I want to mount them on the right hand side and have a left foot pedal.

So ignoring that one I can see there's a pearl, a dw, and the trick, and the trick turns me on the most. I'm sure they're all pretty good, but if you have tried them please leave me some feedback.

I've given the remotes as a primary a try, mounted in front of the snare ala Bill Bruford. Gave it a year actually, went back. Setting up was more of a hassle, cartage- the remotes are essentially two pieces and the feel of the cable...its OK till you play a smooth standard HH stand, then you're reminded of the lag.

If I were to get a remote again it would be the SPEEDY/Bachman one, its the best feeling one out there that
that I've played.

Thanks, Les.

Kona, I haven't thought that far ahead but I'm sure I could clamp it to the tom mount and have it somewhere comfy in front and to the right of the snare.

Hot damn I loved having a remote hihat set up on my kit. I could use my main stand for a 13 in hat with more stick definition and click and then my 14 in sabian regular hats on the right of the kit. Felt so good to have the different options in sound. I got one like you, a gibralter I think, without a cable so all I got is a switch to move it closed or open. With it closed, I could play some of that djent metal with the stacked cymbals like Matt Halpern.

But ya, to your idea, I've never tried it live, but when I was moving gear around and didn't want to set up my main pedal, I would just set up my remote hat on my home kit and it would work well. Real minimalist, all I could play along to were some nirvana or blink songs

Back