Jagger & Bowie Dancing in the Street

One of those times when the sum is less than the individual parts. Love the Stones. Love Bowie. This cover and the vid did nothing for me at the time. They badly needed Rick Astley in there with them to give the song a lift :)

Having said that, I heard it on the car radio the other day for the first time in many years. I enjoyed hearing the contrasting way each of the guys sang their lines and the pop arrangement is well done.

Of course, this could be construed as an indictment of the other stuff on the radio more than the quality of the cover ...

Damn fellas relax I'm just foolin around, its like when I say something everyone gets their panties all twisted hahaha!!!

Twisted? Nah....I'm not wearing any. :)

You are free to say as you please. I don't begrudge your opinions, even when I don't agree.....but I'm free to flip the coin and speak from the otherside. That's all it is. Nothing more, nothing less.

I don't think their great song writers sorry.

Fair enough. I don't ask that you agree with me, but I do think they've written some great material. That doesn't make either of us wrong or right. It just confirms what I've known for years.......music has something for everyone.

The Gershwin Bros were great song writers, Duke Ellington was a great writer, Johnny Mercer was a a great writer.

Yep. Right along with Jagger/Richards, Lennon/McCartney, Bowie and countless others from the rock world.

When you hear Daniel Bowies tunes in comparison to Marvin Gayes or Stevie Wonders or Bill (Smoky) Robinsons you gotta be kidding me right?

No. I kid you not. They ALL do something for me musically. Each for reasons as wide and varied as the musicians themselves. I'm thankful for a world where they can all co-exist, not tread on each others toes and I can pick and choose which one I want to listen to and when. Such variety......it's like a dream for all seasons isn't it?

I like steak, but I like ice cream too. Why should I choose definitively.....why can't I have both......plus anything else that tickles my fancy along the way?

Maybe because ...............your from down under??????? I see now, didn't see where you were "really" come in from hahahaha!!!! I'm from the inner city, grew up on T-Bone Walker, Fats Domino Louis Jordan and the likes of Blues to Rhythmn N Blues and Swing and Jazz then Soul. However I do respect the "Lil River Band" a hell of alot more than the Stones hahaha anyone can play the Stones tunes its so easy you could be a sleep learning it, I'd love to hear some shmo band playing Stones covers start a rehearsal on the Lil Rivers Vocals!!!
That would be priceless!!! Well its no big deal you get your fancy tickled by Bowie cause you don't wear draws, and I'll not listen at all. Is he related to Meatloaf??? Nah! Doc

That has to be one of the worst songs / clips in the history of the universe - what a blatant money making grab - shame Mick shame!

Maybe because ...............your from down under??????? I see now, didn't see where you were "really" come in from hahahaha!!!! I'm from the inner city, grew up on T-Bone Walker, Fats Domino Louis Jordan and the likes of Blues to Rhythmn N Blues and Swing and Jazz then Soul. However I do respect the "Lil River Band" a hell of alot more than the Stones hahaha anyone can play the Stones tunes its so easy you could be a sleep learning it, I'd love to hear some shmo band playing Stones covers start a rehearsal on the Lil Rivers Vocals!!!
That would be priceless!!! Well its no big deal you get your fancy tickled by Bowie cause you don't wear draws, and I'll not listen at all. Is he related to Meatloaf??? Nah! Doc

It's all in the perspective mate. You know that when viewed from a certain angle in space, the world is upside down and Downunder is on top!! :)

You grew up listening to some "great" music Doc, no doubt. I just don't think greatness stopped with those guys or in that era, is all.

From T-Bone to Tool......if it moves you, then that's "great" as far as I'm concerned.

Haha cheeky blighter. PFOG is correct ... when the universe has a THIS WAY UP sign then I'll accept that Oz is "down under"!

I believe the correct term for you is "blues snob" heeheehee (just givin ya crap :)

Seriously though, the Stones tunes are easy enough to play, but not to write, nor to play with the spirit the Stones gave those songs. Also, bear in mind that Keef played a lot of partials that young garage players fudge with bar chords.

PFOG and I came up listening to some fabulous artists that most of you Yanks don't know about (excluding Unfunkyfooted, who's a true internationalist) http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82370. The pub rock scene here in the 70s and 80s was great but sadly is no more.

Personally, I'm loathe to dis established artists because they release best selling albums, play in front of thousands of people and are loved by millions around the world ... it would seem odd for a two bit local player like me to cast judgement. I'm a big fan of the atmospheric pieces Bowie's German period music too.

But Dancing in the Street? It was super popular but give me Sticky Fingers and Heroes any day!

And of course there is nothing better than the original, unless it's a parody by our favorite accordion player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdvITn5cAVc

Yeah, I'll have to agree with you there, although VH is a close second. There's some good cowbell in there.

When I saw this post title, I thought of that Family Guy episode and starting laughing. That was a hysterical clip. And the show let the entire video run. Thanks for posting.

It was one of their best cut-away scenes they did. Saw it a while ago but a rerun just played recently and reminded me of it.

One of those times when the sum is less than the individual parts. Love the Stones. Love Bowie. This cover and the vid did nothing for me at the time. They badly needed Rick Astley in there with them to give the song a lift :)

Having said that, I heard it on the car radio the other day for the first time in many years. I enjoyed hearing the contrasting way each of the guys sang their lines and the pop arrangement is well done.

Of course, this could be construed as an indictment of the other stuff on the radio more than the quality of the cover ...

Rick Astley and Billy Squier! Now it's a party. ha ha! Actually, I don't think the version is all that bad.

That has to be one of the worst songs / clips in the history of the universe - what a blatant money making grab - shame Mick shame!

Oh yeah! That video is so bad that it's good. Check out the Billy Squier one too. Shame!

Actually, it was recorded for charity.

So while it was technically a money grab, and is a rather shameful performance, there was some good intent behind it.

..........but give me Sticky Fingers ...............any day!

I'm off to review their finest period. Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile and It's Only Rock 'n Roll.........just to spite Doc. It's gonna be "great"

And when I'm done, I'll be back to tell him just how "GREAT" it was!! :)

I see I knew shallow people in the past, I understand. So listening to a nice rhythm guitar that most anyone could play would get a positive but not amazed comment from you?? Yet if you did look "deeper" to find the chords were barred and the strumming was both accomplished by using feet that would still keep the ordinary rhythm just that, ordinary?
Yeah screw looking deeper to much effort! Doc

You're deliberately missing/twisting my point.

I short, I'm not interested in how much or little effort goes into a song, how educated the players are by any particular standards, how 'intelligent' the music or lyrics are, how well-respected the players are among the music community, the age, gender or nationality of the players, or even whether there's a live drummer on the track. I am only interested in whether the resulting work appeals to me. The sole criterion being, does it make me feel good? It's that simple.

Now, do I recognize the effort and craftsmanship that goes into various songs? Of course. I can appreciate what an artist does without actually liking what they do. There are plenty of musicians I find amazing, but don't enjoy the music they make if it doesn't make me feel good. If I have to search for or rationalize or qualify its 'value' in order to like it, then I'm not really enjoying it.

Think of it like being told a joke - you either get it, or you don't. If it has to be explained to you, it's no longer funny.

Bermuda

Last edited:
to be in honest, i don't think they recorded the song to be an earth shattering cover. if i remember correctly, it was just thrown together over about three days - video shoot included, simply because they wanted to do something together. they decided to give the money to charity. it was around the time of Live Aid...in fact, i think it premiered on Live Aid. i could be wrong on that. but if not it premiered only a coupla days afterwards.

and yes, i always hated it. : )

noble cause though. hey, let's do something together. no time to write something. let's do "Dancing In The Street" and record it and shoot the video all in 3 days. and let's give the money to charity.

i can live with that.

thanks for the shout out Polly.

Bowie was better when he hooked up with Bing Crosby. Although I don't think they pranced around on that one.

Looking back at the Dancin video, it really does look like a SNL parody. And they don't come off as very masculine with their moves and their clothes.

Now contrast that with Bowie's Let's Dance video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4d7Wp9kKjA&feature=relmfu

Is Bowie really playing the guitar with white gloves? LOL

Interesting factoid:

The original plan was to perform a track together live, with Bowie performing at Wembley Stadium and Jagger at John F. Kennedy Stadium, until it was realized that the satellite link-up would cause a half-second delay that would make this impossible unless either Bowie or Jagger mimed their contribution, something neither artist was willing to do.

Last edited:
Now contrast that with Bowie's Let's Dance video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4d7Wp9kKjA&feature=relmfu

Is Bowie really playing the guitar with white gloves? LOL

whom you are hearing is Stevie Ray Vaughn. he recorded the album, but fell out with Bowie over $$$ and declined to do the tour.

this was before his later fame.

i (almost) saw him open for the Pretenders back in '84. as i entered the arena, there was this guitar player playing with his teeth and behind his back and between his legs and i'm wondering who the heck is THAT ?, as i stole glances while trying to find my seat. as soon as i get to my seat and plop down, the arena announcer says: "That was Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble !!!"

that's why i say i "almost" saw him. :p my thought at the time was, ah, so that's the Stevie Ray Vaughn everyone is talking about....followed quickly by:

eh. BRING ON THE 'TENDERS !!!!!!!!

Last edited:
whom you are hearing is Stevie Ray Vaughn. he recorded the album, but fell out with Bowie over $$$ and declined to do the tour.

this was before his later fame.

i (almost) saw him open for the Pretenders back in '84. as i entered the arena, there was this guitar player playing with his teeth and behind his back and between his legs and i'm wondering who the heck is THAT ?, as i stole glances while trying to find my seat. as soon as i get to my seat and plop down, the arena announcer says: "That was Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble !!!"

that's why i say i "almost" saw him. :p my thought at the time was, ah, so that's the Stevie Ray Vaughn everyone is talking about....followed quickly by:

eh. BRING ON THE 'TENDERS !!!!!!!!

You are quite correct sir, and Tony Thompson on drums!

Musicians:
David Bowie: Vocals
Stevie Ray Vaughan: Guitar
Nile Rodgers: Guitar
Carmine Rojas: Bass
Omar Hakim, Tony Thompson: Drums
Rob Sabino: Keyboards
Mac Gollehon: Trumpet
Robert Aaron, Stan Harrison, Steve Elson: Saxophone
Sammy Figueroa: Percussion

Upon further review, I don't think the VH video comes off any more manly, especially the way Roth prances around and the white gloves he wears. Although the two Van Halen brothers look pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iBpJUzz79c

I have no idea what Roth is wearing in this live version. And the backing vocals are horrendous. How did we survive the 80's??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iBpJUzz79c

I didn't really judge the song based on the videos, but yeah, you are right about that. You hear the way Alex plays that cowbell in the studio version? Now that's how you play a cowbell!

Speaking of fruity, here's the video that killed a potentially great rock and roll career:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR0j7sModCI

I missed this. LOL - what a funny little man. Imagine being the director and saying "Good work, Billy. That's a take" after he's just pranced gauchely across the room. Maybe Ed Wood was directing?

But if you close your eyes he had a cool Robert Plant thing going vocally ...

I'm not interested in how much or little effort goes into a song, how educated the players are by any particular standards, how 'intelligent' the music or lyrics are, how well-respected the players are among the music community, the age, gender or nationality of the players, or even whether there's a live drummer on the track. I am only interested in whether the resulting work appeals to me. The sole criterion being, does it make me feel good? It's that simple.

Now, do I recognize the effort and craftsmanship that goes into various songs? Of course. I can appreciate what an artist does without actually liking what they do. There are plenty of musicians I find amazing, but don't enjoy the music they make if it doesn't make me feel good. If I have to search for or rationalize or qualify its 'value' in order to like it, then I'm not really enjoying it.

Nicely put, Jon. Some people have a bottom line of mastery when it comes to listening, so they won't ever enjoy a White Stripes song on principle.

I'm more like you - if I like it I like it. Anything from The Shaggs's to Mahavishnu Orchestra to John Cage to Abba ... it's all just "food".

Back