So is ANYONE capable of drumming?

My question is, why concern yourself or waste time thinking 'will I ever get as good as X?' If you truly love drumming, then it doesn't matter. Because at the end of the day if I tell myself I tried my best and still failed, then that's ok. If I tell myself I didn't try that hard and didn't reach my goals, then I'd be kicking myself.

Motivation to get his gigs.

I strive to sound exactly like a few drummers. When I can pull some of that off at a high level I'll put full focus in striving to find my own voice.

I think this is a much more complex topic than people are assuming.

My answer is... no way, most people do not have the qualities needed to achieve a Weckl-like level.

It is about so much more than practice time. Obviously, there is an aptitude / natural gift / "born with it" element to it all. But no one has really emphasized how that aptitude interacts with desire and attitude.

To say that "anybody could be Weckl if he just practiced as much as Weckl" is naive, and misses the point; a big part of the greatness IS the ability and determination and that certain ratio of qualities needed in order to have WANTED to practice as much as Weckl did. And aptitude has a huge impact on that. We tend to like what we're good at. We also tend to be good at the things we like. Both concepts have a place here, and they create a rare feedback loop. But someone without tremendous drumming and rhythmic aptitude... sooner or later that person is going to hit a point on his own individual learning curve, a block or whatever, and it's then not going to be as enjoyable for him. His desire to practice will be affected. He'll get sidetracked and become interested is something else.

And never-mind the totally obsessive element to all of this. How many people have the combination of personality traits, the single-mindedness, and the focus, to dedicate all of their time to drumming alone? Not many. Most of us are interested in many, many things, and have multiple hobbies. There is an emerging hypothesis in the sciences that people who are great at certain types of things (like sports or music) are, in a sense, victims of a kind of illness, almost. I'm surely not explaining it well, but these people were susceptible to obsessiveness in a way that most of us could never be. This is not necessarily a bad thing. The greats are just out towards the edges of several certain bell curves. (Again, I am certainly not critiquing them; I think we all should celebrate these people, and am glad we do. They are freaks of nature, in a sense, who share their gift with all of us.)

Another way to think of it is this: the most beautiful women, science has shown, are the ones with the highest number of average features. That's right, the ones with least number of deviations from the norm. What's exceptional about a model is not her abundance of "beautiful" features; it is her overwhelming abundance of average features that is, surprisingly, so very rare. Most of us have a big nose, or funky ears, or a weird hairline, or some other combo of deviations that keep us off those Paris fashion runways (I've got about 20, haha), but a few people are lucky, take care of themselves properly, and so on.... But it is that *accumulation of averages* that is at play.

The obvious parallel is that someone like Gadd or Weckl or whomever is, in a sense, freakish in his drumming beauty. There are multiple deviations or susceptibilities that exist that would side-track most people on the quest to be the best. Attitude, perseverance, etc. These guys, however, have a certain combination of traits that allow them be the best. Add in that freakish obsessiveness (which may also partially be a sum of those other traits), and then you've got yourself a world class drummer.

No way could anyone do it if only they "only" practiced as much. To me, the point is, few have the qualities needed in order to tolerate or even *want* to practice that much.

(This does not even get into the mysteries of groove, etc... like, why can Gadd play a quarter note groove, 8 notes on the drums per measure, and it makes anyone within earshot want to dance, and yet we all know of the drum chops monsters (who've practiced as much as Weckl) and yet lack this ability. Clearly, there is an innate, "tapped into something rare" aspect at work here.)

I think anyone with enough determination drive and focus could learn to play the drums, but not everyone can be great. Thats just the way it is its a law of nature. Most everyone learns to drive a car but there are so few great drivers these days, right? I think most everyone has some talent whether it be sports music arts, whats sad is most people never figure out what it is they're great at, or even worse assume that they will never be good at anything, you will never know until you try.

This is my own Personal Opinion here; -

Initially I too thought that -- Everyone is indeed capable of Drumming ...But this is not True...as I found out.

I have a few Friends who would love to drum after watching us Drum - - The Very Basic 2/4Beat took Her a month still can’t make it ( there were 3 Girls I know who just cant do it though they tried hard )…But also There is a Girl who is so good though she had never drum before – can drum so well…All these are my Personal Friends.

But is it true – that with Proper Training, Stamina and Disclipine eg - - In Double Pedalling – One can Achive a Speed oneday sooner or later at eg 185 or 195 bmp ..Well this is not TRUE…Somethings are Inborn..some people just can drum with greater speed than others - - In this area – no amount of Training can help a Drummer…There is a LIMIT set for each of us.

My personal analogy.
I have been playing since I was 9, I am 49, to some degree or another.
My observation, on my status: At a young age, had I had a really good teach, and I knew how to practice... not taught by the teacher. The other, is the passion the player has. I think I have the passion, but I certainly never had the concept of "how" to practice, and put the "hours" on end into it, when I did have the time.
The cliche, if I knew then what I know now...? I would be a much better drummer. I would have been in much better bands, at a much younger age... BUT... To be at "that" level? Who knows. Again, genetics?

Of Teachers and Delusional Thinking

This discussion has been a really interesting re-take on earlier ones on a similar topic. Really interesting, and stuff that cuts to the core for all those of us lesser mortals that dream of one day waking up with the drumming skills of Dave Weckl.

There is a set of responses that suggests that if you work at it hard enough, you will make it.
This reminds me of teachers struggling to cajole resistant pupils into learning new stuff. They know really well that little Doug, with an IQ of 75, is never going to be an Einstein, yet encouragement with the - you can make it, if you just work hard enough - mantra, leaves Doug a very frustrated and disaffected young man.

Us budding drummers, or real drummers even, suffer from this kind of delusional thinking - if we just practise rudiments for 2 hours a day, get a great teacher, play with diverse bands to build up experience, and study the musical 'feel' of the greats, we will one day realize our aspiration of becoming a great drummer.

But it is just that, delusional thinking, which can have the seriously debilitating side-effect of leaving us frustrated and bitter, as all of our hours, days, weeks and years of practise fail to deliver the expected results!

As others have said, we need to be liberated from the tyranny of this approach.
Enjoy the drums as we play them - the rest of the world may not appreciate our music (I am reminded of all those tone deaf contestants in Amercan Idols - X Factor etc!!!), but heh, who cares! It's awesome fun beating those skins. And if no one at all appreciates your sound, well, there is always an audience that is guaranteed to applaud your noise, no matter how chaotic - yep, ma and pa. Well, normally, but there are exceptions.....

Have fun!

Anyone can learn to do anything anyone else can do. We're all made of the same stuff, it just depends what we practice and what we focus on.

I was a bit of a natural when it came to drums, but I've been playing guitar more than twice as long and I'm not as good as I am on drums, but if I spent the time I spent drumming on guitar, maybe I'd be way better at guitar.

Wow, cool and very deep thread. It is funny, I just posted on another thread something that would of fit right in here. Like Stevo, I am 47 and have had drums since I was 7 or 8.
From the age of 18 to about 26, I did nothing but play, live, and breathe drums. I was determined to be the best. I was so chronic, I would have a set of sticks with me whereever I went. Watching other bands, I would be practicing on the heel of my shoe under the table.
I worked so hard and it just seemed like it did not sink in compared to some other drummers I knew that hardly practiced at all. I believe some people "have it"

I did attain the ability to play quite well, but I think I had to work at it alot harder than others. Now, in my older years, I realize I have a great talent at learning to do many other things quicker than most people. Now I build furniture, I can fix most things mechanical, I re finish and customize drums as well as custom paint my bikes, cars and helmets. I can landscape, build houses, pretty well anything to do with my hands, comes quite easily.

Once in a while I hear a comment from my brother or an old friend where someone commented that they thought I was the best drummer to come out of my area, so even though I did not achieve the greatness I once thought I could, I did leave a mark and my hard work was not for nothing.

Jack Russell will never become a Great Dane

Biased viewpoint?

I have a feeling that all of the budding drummers that tried their best, but never made it at all are not a part of this forum. They're probably on forums discussing how to cook pea soup better than Delia Smith or how to be a better striker than Pele or even how to make cartoons better than The Flintstones.

What we have here is all the folks who had just enough success to keep them interested in talking drums. Is it then not a great surprise that we have lots of stories about, 'how anyone can do it' since 'even I can do a half decent job' and 'we are all made of the same stuff' ??

I'm kind of concerned here for all of those who will virtually kill themselves to make it to the top, but just do not have the combination of biology and environment to allow them to do it.

I could put my Jack Russell Terrier on a strict regime of steroids and daily extreme workouts, but try as I might, he will never become a Great Dane!

In my teaching experience (approx' 2000 + students) the bottom line physically is time spent practicing. But life doesn't always allow us the time. There are many things that can inhibbit growth, health issues, finances, family etc.

But the above physical aspect applies to muscle memory. Ideas? Where do they come from? I think from learning, listening and general observation. But when it's art, who really knows? I have never considered myself a good artist. I am probably best at learning from the past and passing that. Have I had any truly original ideas on the drums or in life? I don't know. Probably not. If I did I forgot it or didn't take it seriously.

Practice only does not an artist make. A craftsman perhaps.

This is an ancient thread - but still one thought from me:

the problem is, Dave Weckl (to stick with the OP's example) already has invented his
style of playing. So whoever gets closest to sounding like Dave Weckl - Dave himself
still already paved his way. So even if there comes a guy and plays exactly like Dave,
he still won't be as good, because Dave talks this way, and the other guy just mimics him.

That's one thing people mustn't forget: Coming up with certain musical statements at the
right moment is a whole another story than the technical execution of things (which though
is jawdroppingly impressive already with many of the top guys).

And that musical side of things is exactly where everyone can have his/her place,
without having to have Dave Weckl's abilities.

To say that "anybody could be Weckl if he just practiced as much as Weckl" is naive, and misses the point; a big part of the greatness IS the ability and determination and that certain ratio of qualities needed in order to have WANTED to practice as much as Weckl did. And aptitude has a huge impact on that. We tend to like what we're good at. We also tend to be good at the things we like. Both concepts have a place here, and they create a rare feedback loop. But someone without tremendous drumming and rhythmic aptitude... sooner or later that person is going to hit a point on his own individual learning curve, a block or whatever, and it's then not going to be as enjoyable for him. His desire to practice will be affected. He'll get sidetracked and become interested is something else.

Great post all-round, sttp, especially the above para. If you're naturally good at something then you get a stream of rewards for doing it. Banging you head against a brick wall day after day gets old fast.

I was lucky in my teens to be totally clueless. I practiced heaps because I could pound out horrible tripe hour after hour and think it sounded incredible. Hey, I sound almost exactly like Ian Paice and John Bonham!

When you start out, unless you are talented, having cloth ears - being able to aurally airbrush your playing - is an asset :) If I had any idea how abysmal I was I would have quit in my first year.

But ultimately, I agree. Not anyone could play like Weckl but almost anyone who loves playing enough to practice lots can reach a point where they can play bar gigs.

A point I'm missing in this discussion so far is physical advantage, some people have a higher natural dexterity (fine motor skills) than others and are capable of. Some brainrelated disadvantages (disorders sound so overdramatic) like autism spectrum, ADHD and dysgraphia cause a delay in developing fine motoric skills.

But as written earlier in this thread, enough practice can overcome it because it gets automated in the end. As far as I'm aware one's offhand is slower and clumsier in general than the dominant hand as well (maybe except for people born ambi-dexterious).

Just my two cents, because I had the idea this thread seemed to be very psychological at the moment.

Rick Allen lost an arm.

Excellent point. I was mostly thinking people with more than one missing limb. For instance, I knew a guy with no legs.

If we are talking full on drum set, I don't see that happening. However it we are talking about just feet or just hands or one hand and one foot on any percussion instrument. That can happen.

My teaching experience tells me that not anyone is capable of drumming. I've come across a few students who have had the drive to play some music and, according to their parents, practiced regularly, yet couldn't overcome the simplest of coordinational, technical or timing problems. I used to think that talent (or aptitude) has little to do with becoming a musician, but reality has proven me otherwise.

Back