recording help

PS: The world's best vocal mics are... condensers!

Just do some search on "microphones" and "recording" on this forum and... you'll find tons of info.

Shure SM57

Shure SM58

100 dollars each. Used would be cheaper

Yes, the SM57 is the industry standard for snare drum.

The Shure Beta 58 is a few dollars more but MUCH higher quality. It can used for everything. In the recordings in my sig I used the Beta 58 for drums, horns and vocals. Everything else goes directly into the board.

Why not just buy a zoom Q3HD? They go for roughly $300, records good video and very good audio.

Search youtube, there are tons of people using the zoom t do recordings of covers or practice sessions.

Thanks for your replies guys
just wanted to know
if i am using some mics
more then 3 and all can be attached to my computer
do i still need an interface and mixer?

and i want to keep my recording equipment cheap at the moment
cause this is the first time i using mics to record.
will these mics give decent sound-http://www.sony.co.in/productcategory/pa-accy-mic-vocal-microphones ?

and if not
then i will look forward to buying shure mics

Well how are you planning on connecting the mics to your computer for recording? You need to have some sort of device for turning that analog signal into digital so your recording program will recognize it. You need to look at the whole picture, not just the mics. If you are wanting to go the cheap route I would recommend getting a drum mic pack. You can get an entry level set for around 100 dollars. This should include 4 or 5 mics that you will attach to your drums. So then you would need something to get those 4 or 5 mics into your computer. This will be accomplished most likely through usb. You can get a low end interface or a mixer with usb, just be sure it has enough inputs for all of your mics. Another options is to do only an overhead using an X-Y stereo pattern. This will use 2 condenser mics, you will be getting more cymbal sound than drum sound using only this technique, but it is an acceptable way to record your entire kit. Then you would only need an interface with 2 inputs.

Just as an aside. Drum mics are going to be dynamic mics. Dynamic mics will capture more mids and lows, and are capable of handling the high sound pressure level produced from hitting a drum. If you are doing the overheads, then you would want a condenser because they are more sensitive and and will be better at a further distance to capture more high end than the dynamics.

Go look for mics at http://www.musiciansfriend.com read some reviews. With recording you will generally get what you pay for. You buy cheap mics and equipment, you will get a cheap sounding recording.

Back