Packed up the Vistalite Kit.

Kg_lee

I purchased my Vistalite kit in July of 2011 and I played it all but 6 or 7 times. It's not a bad sounding kit it's just that I prefer my maple classic better. I thought about selling them and put them on Craigslist and no one was interested. So I decided since they are new I'll just box them up and try selling them in 15-20 years. I wish I could have played a kit before really spending all that money on it because I thought it looked cool! Just wish I would have purchased another maple kit instead. So my next venture is to restore some maple classic's from the 70's and really have something that I will enjoy playing.

Ouch, painful decision to make, but probably one that will pay once those years have gone by. Just make sure you check on them now and then and make sure they're storing weathering the storage well.

At least you've learned something from the whole experience - we all have to buy the extra things we don't need to realise that we didn't need them in the first place. I look forward to seeing the next maple kit ;)

Ouch, painful decision to make, but probably one that will pay once those years have gone by. Just make sure you check on them now and then and make sure they're storing weathering the storage well.

At least you've learned something from the whole experience - we all have to buy the extra things we don't need to realise that we didn't need them in the first place. I look forward to seeing the next maple kit ;)

They are boxed just the way I got them in original packaging bubble wrap and all. They are also in a climate controlled room. I know if I wait that long I'll get more than what I put into out of them.

LOL. You're going to hang onto something for 15 years ...for what? So you can sell it then for what you can sell it for now? Shrewd.

I kinda like vistilite. Sure, they were a gimmick, but they had a sound -- NOTHING like wood, but how could you not know that?

I especially prefer plexiglass snares -- snappy and clear.

Dude, you don't want them? Sell them, get what you want. Walk away with a lesson. You're kidding yourself if you think investing in 15 years of hoarding them is going to bring in a profit that will affect your life in any way.

- we all have to buy the extra things we don't need to realise that we didn't need them in the first place.

I wish I had a nickle for everything I bought that I later realized I didn't need or want.

LOL. You're going to hang onto something for 15 years ...for what? So you can sell it then for what you can sell it for now? Shrewd.

I kinda like vistilite. Sure, they were a gimmick, but they had a sound -- NOTHING like wood, but how could you not know that?

I especially prefer plexiglass snares -- snappy and clear.

Dude, you don't want them? Sell them, get what you want. Walk away with a lesson. You're kidding yourself if you think investing in 15 years of hoarding them is going to bring in a profit that will affect your life in any way.

I'm a huge Ebayer and I've seen what old ludwig drums go for, even some rather new drums sell for a high price. My kit is flawless and I'm sure I'll make something on it. I'm not really that worried about it, it's paid for. Who knows how long Ludwig will continue to make these drums that is the question? That will really determine if it was worth while doing. Ludwig drums have a great resale, not to many other drum companies really do.

As for sound I knew it wasn't going to sound like wood but I really prefer a wood kit over this any day! I don't think many people play these things for their sound, I thinks it more of a flashy statement they way they look on stage.

I've come to realize I only enjoy playing my kit live. It lacks warmth but looks great. :)

nyc-kit.jpg

I bought my first Ludwig Vistalite kit in 1980. Wound up with 14 pieces accumulated ... played them for 25+ years. Sold them about 10 years ago, and made quite a profit on them. But I had rare stuff. Matching 22x16 virgin kicks (special order items, back then). And then a complete double bass kit, that I picked up "used", in the 90's, for $500 (before Vista's became collectable).​
So I agree with the others who say "sell now" I don't think 15 years will make much difference. They're re-issue drums. Collectors want OG's. And as long as the 70's/80's drums are around, your re-issues are gonna be looked at as red-headed stepchilds, by collectors.​
I'm putting together a red Vistalite kit, right now. 22x14 virgin, 24x14 (with flange), 12x8, and 16x16. So far. And I'm going all original B/O badge OG stuff. Why? Because the new stuff, in my opinion, won't hold it's value. My originals, no problem, I could sell them tomorrow, for what I paid for them.​

I agree with Harry. Holding on to them for years probably won't increase their value to much. At best this seems like a break even deal. The amber color is one of the better colors. But the Vistalites are a tricky thing. Their marketability is somewhat narrow. Even the vintage Vistas aren't as valuable as one might think. A maple Ludwig kit from the same 70s time period will usually fetch more. I've seen black and blue Vistalites on ebay going unsold for $650-750 range. Maples wouldn't have that problem.

Anyway, a lesson learned. Vistas are great drums. Loud as hell though.

Back