Gene Krupa - What's The Big Deal?

Marconi

Ok, this is not meant to piss anybody off, but I often hear Gene Krupa's name as one of the all time great drummers. I've watched some videos, listened to a few recordings of him, but just can't figure out why his playing is so highly regarded. I mean, he's good and all, but I don't really see or hear anything that's all that impressive. I've only been playing drums about a year, and I can certainly understand why guys like John Bonham, Neil Peart, and Keith Moon are considered greats, but with Gene Krupa I just don't see it. Maybe my inexperience has something to do with it?

Can you guys give me some help on what I'm missing? This truly is an honest question, it's not meant to anger anyone. Maybe I just need to be pointed in the right direction?

One thing you need to know that before Gene Krupa, drummers sat in the back ground and were just time keepers. Gene brought drums to the forefront, so that people like Neil Peart, and Mike Portnoy could be the stand out drummers that they are today.

Also remember the time period that he was in. He did amazing things back then that no one else was doing. You can't compare drumming back then to todays drumming. Hope this helps a bit. You should watch his movie.

Yes, I think part of what makes Krupa great is the historical and cultural context of his accomplishments.

Looking at your profile I can see that you're 14, and can understand why you would feel this way. Especially if you haven't been playing for long. As sticks4drums said, you have to take the time period into consideration. Even today, playing Krupa's stuff is by no means some sort of easy beginner type stuff. Check out :38 - 1:11 on this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOVZ1gZDexo

You also have to realize that it's not just about drum solos. Gene Krupa could swing a band like mad, and that first and foremost, is the important part of being a jazz drummer.

Sticks4drums also makes a great point about Gene Krupa bringing drums to the forefront. In fact, when Gene Krupa died, Buddy Rich said "Every drummer in the world should stand up, face Yonkers, and bow because if it wasn't for Gene we'd all be just timekeepers".

Krupa is one of my all-time favorites. I always enjoy watching and listening to him play. Jazz is a different animal than rock, so I think if you studied some jazz drumming you would probably get a better idea of what he was doing and why he is so highly regarded. I'm sure as you become a more experienced drummer you'll get a better understanding of it as well.

I hope this has helped somewhat.

Last edited:
Often times it is not what is "BEST" that is greatest BUT what is "FIRST" that stands out as greatest. Intro.....Gene Krupa. Sniff.....

He was also self taught, and could not read music until later in his career.

EPIC 1st post I must say. At least you admit your lack of knowledge is probably based upon your short time with the instrument and its history. Research Mr. Krupa as everyone has already said and enjoy. I, probably as well as many others on here, envy you for being so green to drumming and open to a world of amazing talent. None of my comments are meant to be taken negatively.
p.s. - I have been on this forum as a guest for a very long time, but I recently joined. I was going to make my first post the whole “has anybody ever seen this crazy drummer in a gold jacket" routine just for kicks. I decided against it though.

He was also self taught, and could not read music until later in his career.

Thank you, this is exactly what I was going to post before seeing that you put this up, very important fact that not everyone knows. He was actually a huge influence for me, my mother saw him live quite a few times and would always comment to me "Maybe You Will Be Another Gene Krupa" ----To which I would respond, there will never be another Gene Krupa...

To the original poster, you will one day understand if you stick with the drums and not only learn to play but learn to learn...Good luck....

Thank you, this is exactly what I was going to post before seeing that you put this up, very important fact that not everyone knows. He was actually a huge influence for me, my mother saw him live quite a few times and would always comment to me "Maybe You Will Be Another Gene Krupa" ----To which I would respond, there will never be another Gene Krupa...

To the original poster, you will one day understand if you stick with the drums and not only learn to play but learn to learn...Good luck....
Your welcome :) My brother was named after him. I was named after Glen Cambell :(

If you watch Gene Krupa play, it makes you wonder were Keith Moon got that same type of playing style. its not the playing as much as it is Genes body movements while playing. Yes Gene could swing like mad. He did not have Buddys chops but what he played was tasty.

Yeah, you've have to have a historical perspective, which I suppose at 14 you do not have yet. But suffice it to say, Gene Krupa opened alot of doors and broke through alot of walls for drummers of all generations. I hesitate to say "he changed the way we all play drums" because I reserve that for Max Roach, but he did that too. You are standing on the shoulders of giants. Do your research and learn why you have such shoulders to begin with ;)

..................................................................................................................

Last edited:
April Fools is a possibility. If it were a joke wouldn't the OP have stated he could understand why Travis Barker is a great but what is so great about Krupa? One can only hope.

I suggest that you get some drum-less big band swing tracks and record yourself playing along with them. Then compare your playing to the great swing masters like Gene.
I think that you will change your mind about Gene's drumming.

No, this was not an April Fools Day joke lol. Thanks everybody for all of the advice and links. It certainly seems like I have some homework to do. That video link certainly shows that Krupa was no slouch. Guess I just didn't look hard enough. I freely admit I know hardly anything about jazz, so I'm obviously going to need to start doing some reading on it. Thanks again for the help. It's much appreciated.

No, this was not an April Fools Day joke lol. Thanks everybody for all of the advice and links. It certainly seems like I have some homework to do. That video link certainly shows that Krupa was no slouch. Guess I just didn't look hard enough. I freely admit I know hardly anything about jazz, so I'm obviously going to need to start doing some reading on it. Thanks again for the help. It's much appreciated.

That's one of the great things about this forum. Through the experience and knowledge of all the forum members, you can learn far more than on your own.

I even got some Gene info from this thread that I didn't know of before. (Thanks toddbishop.)

I would recommend you check out as many drummers and styles as you can. It will definitely help you in the long run.

Welcome to the forum by the way...

Hey, at least you asked. Most young guys would just dismiss him as being some old guy that didn't matter much. Don't ever be afraid to ask. Your approach was perfect. No one got defensive or upset. Good luck with your drumming.

Ok, this is not meant to piss anybody off, but I often hear Gene Krupa's name as one of the all time great drummers. I've watched some videos, listened to a few recordings of him, but just can't figure out why his playing is so highly regarded. I mean, he's good and all, but I don't really see or hear anything that's all that impressive. I've only been playing drums about a year, and I can certainly understand why guys like John Bonham, Neil Peart, and Keith Moon are considered greats, but with Gene Krupa I just don't see it. Maybe my inexperience has something to do with it?

Can you guys give me some help on what I'm missing? This truly is an honest question, it's not meant to anger anyone. Maybe I just need to be pointed in the right direction?

Go learn to play his stuff note-for-note and get back to us.

Back