Paice VS Bonham

stevo

I am not bashing Bonham here by any stretch, just being objective. Does anyone here feel that Ian Paice was technically better than Bonham?

LOL! This brings me back. Ian Paice was my first drum hero. I thought Bonzo was dull by comparison. I liked flashy, fast drummers.

They are both great drummers but these days I prefer Bonzo because I like his groove better. Since music isn't sport, you don't really get "better" or "worse" players at the elite level, just "more suitable", "more to taste" etc.

To be fair, I think Ian's drums tend to be a bit less prominent in Purple's mix and his hats mixed higher up, which I think gives the impression that he's not "digging in" as much as Bonzo and also less funky. So much depends on the mix. I prefer Bonzo's drum sound, but maybe that's the mix again where you can hear the tones in greater detail.

Ian plays more notes per bar than Bonzo and, while I like the extra space Bonzo leaves, there are times when I felt his playing sounded a bit more cumbersome than is ideal which is not something you could ever say of Ian's playing. I'd like to hear Ian play more styles because Bonzo had the chance to show his versatility with Zep whereas Purple was less varied.

It's hard to criticise, though, because they're both so good.

Last edited:
Blackmore, being the hiring and the firing guy in the band, Paice suited best for his style.
I dont think Blackmore would keep Bonham for longer if he ever hires him.
Both were perfectly fit in their own bands, cause Purple and Zeppelin cannot be compared.

No right answer, but I seem to remember John Bonham thought Ian Paice was better than him.

Hi, I'm new here, and couldn't find a greater thread for a start than this one:

I think that yes, Paice was more technical than Bonzo in a academic way of seeing things. But, there are some things that Bonzo did that made him so special: For instance, regarding the technique topic, his right foot was amazingly fast, in his own self taught way, probably. But since then, most of the drummers tried to emulate his way of playing or his sound with techniques such as the heel - toe.

What makes me love Bonzo and remark him as a musician? (Not only as a drummer). He made over a million people to want to be a drummer.

In some ways they both are very different but in some ways they are very similar.

I always said there is something in the water. Paice,Bonham,Palmer,Ward,Moon came from

similar parts of England. Bonham will always be my favorite but I always thought Paice was

great also I can never get tired listening to either drummers they both had that unique combo

of power & finesse when you hear Bonham there is no other drummer that sounds like him

and the same goes for Paice. That's what separates the men from the boys.

having you're own style & being original.

Bonzolead

Ian (Paice) created The Mule - John (Bonham) invented Moby Dick.

Each Drummer is Special - Original - Unique, each one has his strengths and weaknesses and bits. If you listen to them far away, you can say....hey that's (Paice) playing there, and that's (Bonham) on the other side. Both are excellent > good.

I respectfully disagree, I think the Paice vs Bonham question is out of context.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Ian (Paice) created The Mule - John (Bonham) invented Moby Dick.

Each Drummer is Special - Original - Unique, each one has his strengths and weaknesses and bits. If you listen to them far away, you can say....hey that's (Paice) playing there, and that's (Bonham) on the other side. Both are excellent > good.

I respectfully disagree, I think the Paice vs Bonham question is out of context.

Cheers,
Great post Ian I don't. care for the -vs- threads either.

Every GREAT drummer is unique in their own way that's what makes them GREAT.

Even through Bonham is my favorite doesn't. mean he's the only drummer I'm influenced by, only learning one style or type of drumming or music really makes a person simple-minded or cymbal-minded LOL.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead

Bonham's triplets were better than Ian's , and Ian's doubles were better than Bonham's.
Which then leads to the the conclusion that Bonham's triplets were equal to Ian's doubles.

Later ofcourse Gadd showed up with his paradiddles and messed the whole thing up.

They both play/ed 26" kicks. I play a 26" kick.

Bonham's triplets were better than Ian's , and Ian's doubles were better than Bonham's.
Which then leads to the the conclusion that Bonham's triplets were equal to Ian's doubles.

Later ofcourse Gadd showed up with his paradiddles and messed the whole thing up.

HAHAHAHA thats hilarious!!

-Jonathan

Great post Ian I don't. care for the -vs- threads either.

Every GREAT drummer is unique in their own way that's what makes them GREAT.

Even through Bonham is my favorite doesn't. mean he's the only drummer I'm influenced by, only learning one style or type of drumming or music really makes a person simple-minded or cymbal-minded LOL.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead

Thanks! Bonzolead, I got inspired by the moment.

Wow, that's a real good one mate!

Yeah, but I can twirl my sticks really good, like better than all three of them combined. So I must be the better drummer. Also, I have way more drums/cymbals so I must also be better.

Yeah, but I can twirl my sticks really good, like better than all three of them combined. So I must be the better drummer. Also, I have way more drums/cymbals so I must also be better.

Case closed. This thread is officially obsolete.
ZZ > Bonham/Paice/Gadd/Every Drummer Every Alive

Back