Endorsed to who?

Emmaticus00

If you could have the dream companies to endorse, who would it be?
Personally mine would be:
Gibraltar
Evans
Vic Firth
Zildjian and/or Sabian (kind of indecisive)

I've never bought a drum set so I could not choose a brand, but Roland V-drums are sweet

Are you talking about just products that you would buy regardless of affiliation because you like them so much or are you dreaming about being an A-lister and actually getting supported from these companies?

As Bermuda's endorser FAQ points out, there's all kinds of levels to being an endorser and not everyone gets stuff for free.

I figure since no one is paying me to use their products, just the fact that I'm using whatever it is I'm using is an endorsement that I like their product - even though I play drums from a company that's been dead now for 30 years ;)

I figure since no one is paying me to use their products, just the fact that I'm using whatever it is I'm using is an endorsement that I like their product - even though I play drums from a company that's been dead now for 30 years ;)

What Bo says!!! If I like it I use it.

If it says Gretsch you like it.

I wish I was sponsored by:

Hammunds
B&Q
Doug Bottomley
Wally drums

Last edited:
I'll bite.

I love Tama hardware because it has proven its worth to me over the years. So I'd go with Tama just because I look for their stands and stuff first.

Drums? I don't know. I've never played a real Pork Pie. I have one of their cheaper snares, and it's incredible for what it is. I blew away all the other snares I tried out in the store. And I love small, lesser known companies. I like what their doing and would sign up with them given the opportunity. But really, there are so many companies out there and I've only had so many kits, you know?

Overall, I tend to use a variety of brands. As much as I like Remo's on my toms, I don't like their bass heads.

If it says Gretsch you like it.

I wish I was sponsored by:

Hammunds
B&Q
Doug Bottomley
Wally drums
If it says Zildjian, Ludwig, Paiste, DW, Gibraltar, Tama, Taye Metal Works, Vic Firth, Vader, Evans, Sound Percussion etc etc etc

I think the difference between the fantasy and reality of endorsements is there is so much more to it all than "just" playing what you like. Of course I'd like to think that at least many of the players out there that are lucky enough to snag a high profile endorsement are playing gear they are (at least) satisfied with. But I know that the business and logistics side of these partnerships is often equal (or even greater than) than the instrument itself.

However, for the sake of actually answering the original question, I'd love to be be endorsed by the companies whose gear I love;

Ludwig Drums
Aquarian Drumheads
Yamaha Hardware
Paiste Cymbals

Until very, very recently, I was extremely happy with Yamaha, and in many respects, I still am. However, I had always dreamed of moving up to a Recording Custom, brand new, one owner only. That's not going to happen now.

Then I kind of fell into a vintage Ludwig set that I'm remodeling. I think I could be a happy Ludwig guy for some time to come.

I don't worry about who would be my dream company. I just go play drums.

Zildjian and/or Sabian (kind of indecisive)

Well, it wouldn't be and... endorsements are typically exclusive. With those companies in particular, you wouldn't be allowed to endorse both.

Bermuda

Doesn't Mike Mangini play Zildjian sticks but use Vater Cymbal Toppers

I don't know what he uses, but those are different products, so there's not an issue of exclusivity.

But funny you should mention Vater...

Before they were "toppers", Samson Fastener manufactured/marketed them as Slicknuts, and I endorsed them. But when Vater took over distribution and put their name on them, I dropped the endorsement because I felt it was a conflict to use Vic Firth sticks, and a product bearing their competitor's name. It probably wasn't an issue for the companies involved, but my sense of integrity got the best of me.

However, there are a few instances where there's some cross-pollenation. Two years ago, when Zildjian bought Vic Firth, and D'addario (Evans et al) bought Pro Mark, endorsers of related companies were questioning how things would pan out. A Pro Mark and Remo endorser now fnds himself associated with Remo's competitor. A Vic Firth and Evans endorser finds his head company now owns the competing stick company. And in my case as a Sabian, Vic Firth and Evans endorser, there's now a connection to Zildjian and Pro Mark.

But, there hasn't been any weirdness from the involved companies... Vic Firth isn't trying to get me to switch to (their parent) Zildjian, and Evans isn't trying to get me to switch to Pro Mark. And because the sticks don't bear the parent companies names ("Pro Mark by D'addario" or "Vic Firth by Zildjian"...) there's no conflict.

Bermuda

Ludwig-for drums
Zildjian-for cymbals
Remo-for heads
Vic Firth-for sticks
Tama-for hardware
I dont think it will ever happen officially but those are what i recommend to my students when they ask. It's the list one of my teachers gave me when i was first looking at gear and had no clue what i was buying. The idea was that these were solid brands who made products that were going to suit my needs and not break under normal circumstances. The next part to that was that these were not the only good brands or products and that i would use my ear and what knowledge i acquired to decide what was best for me in the future but that for the present what i really needed was a solid piece of equipment to put up with the beating that playing without proper technique inflicts. Which of course i would be doing since i hadn't learned proper technique but still played drums in school and at home everyday. I must have been 13 at the time and it stuck with me. My primary teacher recommended Tama drums if i recall chiefly for the hardware. Sabian or Zildjian for cymbals

Well I just replaced my lame Sabian B8 splash and crash with a lovely Paiste Alpha crash and a RUDE crash/ride, so now my cymbals are all Paiste. I'd still love an opportunity to snag a Paragon ride or china and/or the new AAX Tremor if I could get a really good deal. But the Paragons would be mostly for the Neil Peart association and the Tremor I just like because it looks cool when it vibrates and it sounds funky… I'm such a little kid. :p

I'm still enjoying my Tama Stagestar and Remo heads since I started using them all those years ago, and I'm definitely not giving up my Ahead Lars Ulrich sticks anytime soon. My only problem with them was that I didn't buy them years ago and wasted so much money shredding wooden sticks.

I'm not really picky when it comes to hardware brands. If it'll hold a cymbal and/or drum without falling to the ground, it's welcome on my set.

We can still dream, right? And I will.

Yes. That's why I'd like to be endorsed by Guru Drums.

Seriously though, the products I really like are Tama Drums and Sabian Cymbals, but I'm open to any good sounding cymbal or drum kit. As for sticks and heads, I'd go either way. I'm not too partial to any particular company. I played Pro-Mark 747 nylon sticks for years. I could go back to them. I could even play Evans heads for the rest of my career and not look back. I think it would take an endorsement to keep a guy like me loyal to one particular brand.

We can still dream, right? And I will.

Good on you, and I don't wish you any ill will.

I dream of many things, some of which are material. I dream of a 6.5x14" Supra, of getting my Ludwigs restored, of many drummy things. But all of those things are attainable for me without an A-level endorsement. So I don't dream of getting one of those.

Non,ive got what i need,i do not need rules of companies .
If i need something ,il will safe up and buy it, do not care of what brand it is.
Endorsed, sorry guys not my cup of thee

grt

I don't get any compensation for it whatsoever, but I endorse Zildjian, Vic Firth, and Aquarian, and Gibraltar.

Back