My dog is some kind of masochist

Bad Tempered Clavier

Silver Member
Was watching the tennis on TV yesterday and tapping away on a practice pad: my dog came and lay down in front of me, which is not unusual, but because I was distracted by the match I didn't notice for a while that the dog had laid his head right up against the base of the stand whilst I was playing. So for a good few minutes he must have had a load of vibrations going directly into his noggin.

I thought that can't possibly be comfortable but he was actually asleep whilst I was transmitting rudiments into his little walnut brain. Mind you, my dog is dumber than a bag of sand so I guess I'm not too surprised . . .

Attachments

• 20130624_175938.jpg
    20130624_175938.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 668
Now that's cute but 2 questions:
1. What breed of dog?
2. What patterns were you playing at the time (you must have been doing something right to send the dog to sleep)!

Now that's cute but 2 questions:
1. What breed of dog?
2. What patterns were you playing at the time (you must have been doing something right to send the dog to sleep)!

My TV/canine-sedative practice is nothing too taxing for the brain, just a workout for the hands: typically 10 minutes of 4 stroke ruffs [no pun intended], 10 minutes of single stroke rolls, 10 minutes of double stroke rolls - I was using a metronome so I guess the patterns of sound were fairly consistent. I know there are people who like to use recordings of rain sounds or similar in order to help them sleep - but I doubt anyone [normal] would appreciate me clattering about when they're trying to sleep.

The dog was rescued and we adopted him from Labrador & Retriever rescue so although he seems to be more Lab than not - his true parentage remains a mystery. Many people have theories as to what he's crossed with: considering his general habits my best guess is Pig.

BTC - we have two Labradors. One pedigree, the other is a rescue like your dog. We thought our rescue was a cross when we first got him (in 2006) because he was so skinny but it has been confirmed that he was also crossed with a pig.

I thought all Labradors were crossed with pigs, isn't it in the breed standard or something?

We had a thread on here a little while ago about drumming somebody to sleep. Perhaps BTC's dog read it?

One of my cats (Oswald the Bastard) has been known to sleep in my bass drum, but he tends to vacate it quite quickly.

That reminds me of a website I saw the other day. Your dog was resting against a practice pad, so the sound was minimal.

But I have seen many videos on youtube where the dog is in the room with a drumset or even a live band. So here is a solution to protect their ears.

http://www.safeandsoundpets.com/index.html

Jeff

Back