Ringing overtones on a cheap kit

Right on funky! I don't claim to be a professional tuner or know it all and all the suggestions made here are vaild thoughts, though it does take a minute to tune your drums and it's best to try and do it right the best you can before throwing moon gel or tape on them. I've got 7 drums so at about an average of 15 minutes a drum or so I'd say a good 2 hours is what it takes me and that's just a quick tune up and not fine tuning my heads. Though these thin shells tune up so well I usually don't have to worry about a perfect pitch at each lug, especially with this Evans Torque Key. Now if I was recording that would be a different story.

Anyway's glad to help at any time man and I hope you enjoy progressing with your tuning skills like I have!

PDP

I generally like my drums wide open but if any drum needs a bit of moon gel it would be the floor tom. Another thing to try is a bit of muffling on the bottom head or a thinner reso head like a Diplomat. A thinner head will stop vibrating quicker than a thicker Ambassador. I don't know the science behind it but for some reason this does not apply when two plies are used which will have even less sustain.

Did you make sure that the tension on every lug is pretty much the same? when my drums "rang" in the past it mostly was because the tension was uneven.
If it's not the case, THAN you should move on to o-rings, moongel or duct tape. Tuning is a process that requires a lot patience - but it's worth the time

All the best
David

I have to agree with this. Check both the reso and the batter for his. Large floor toms are notorious for being a pain to tune. Some people criss-cross when checking this some take a clockwise around the rim approach. I don't think it matters as long as you get all the lugs tuned equal.

Back