Do other drummers do this?

Oh yeah, I love some of those comments on that video.

Thanks for pointing me to this. I actually have seen her before and it pissed me off that this chick can play it that easily and I can't. It looks simple enough, doesn't it?

She does make it look simple. She makes everything look simple. She is a good player, and uses very little energy to do things. She isn't hard to look at either! :)

I just wanted to add, that the rudiments I learn usually find there way into my everyday playing. Neil Peart mentioned this on a video I watched a while back. They are all tools in your tool box.

I like to think of my drumming as sort of a Jeet Kune Do style in that it's a hybrid drumming system because it takes from all styles and incorporates a certain life philosophy that goes along with it.

I've done that too. Maybe I do inadvertently use them without consciously thinking about it. I'm an unorthodox drummer who has never been trained in a classical sense. I just mimic the beats and fills I hear on songs. That's why it's so hard for a guy like me to pull off a solo. I don't transcribe anything. Everything I know is from memory. I mean of course I use the simple rudiments like rolls, paradiddles and flams, but, as you know, a lot of those rudiments were created for using on the field of battle. I'm not in any way putting down learning rudiments or classical training.

it has nothing to do with being schooled or classically trained

I just could never understand any musician just consciously shunning valuable information that can only enhance the development of their craft

especially something as accessible and simple to learn as rudiments

I wouldn't call that unorthodox...I'd call that something else

it has nothing to do with being schooled or classically trained

I just could never understand any musician just consciously shunning valuable information that can only enhance the development of their craft

especially something as accessible and simple to learn as rudiments

I wouldn't call that unorthodox...I'd call that something else

Yes, it's nice to have a name for everything, isn't it?

BTW, my parents never bought me lessons, everything I have done on the drums, I've done on my own. I never had money for lessons. So all the stuff I know has been picked up from listening to drummers who I assume know all about that stuff. So if I'm playing the same stuff they are, then I guess by osmosis or whatever, I do incorporate that stuff into my playing. Maybe it's accessible now, but even my drummer uncle never told me about the importance of rudiments. I've never really hung out with drummers. Part of the reason I started visiting this site is because I'm trying to learn more now. Drumming is one of the few things that actually do interest me, but, yeah, for well over 30 years I consciously shunned all of that stuff because I simply didn't have the time or the money to learn it all properly. I have the time now before it runs out, but I'd say it's more for personal development and a feeling of accomplishment. I was on a plateau for quite awhile, you know?

Last edited:
oh....every time.and I force myself not to up the metronome the first day of learing a new drum part, then in the next few days, I'll come home form work, and just. it's there....that's the greatest feeling.

Back