Work Hard / Don't Stop / CARPE DIEM

MasterCylinder

My grandmother's house in Lubbock, Texas was actually a four-plex; she lived in one apartment and rented the other three...........usually to students of nearby Texas Tech University.
When students move out, sometimes they leave stuff behind.........on one occasion, I found a stack of 45 rpm singles. This was early 60s stuff, Gene Pitney, Bobby Vinton, Chubby Checker, Elvis, etc.
I got to know these songs by listening over and over for weeks and months.

Also watching the variety shows with my parents, I would get to see Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich perform............I'd ask my Dad about their expressions and he would tell me that all drummers are weird but fun to watch.

Then, like many other American young people, my life changed in February, 1964 when the Beatles hit the stage on the Ed Sullivan Show........all my friends were attracted to the guitars and vocals but my eyes were locked on Ringo and what fun it looked like to play some awesome drums like his.

That same August, my Dad bought me a set of drums for my 11th Birthday.......a used set of Slingys he found in the newspaper want-ads...........a bass, a snare, a floor tom and one crash/ride cymbal...........that's it.
In the school band, I played trombone, but all my practice time was on my drums.

I learned to play along with my old 45s and some new Beatles records I added to the collection.

In 1973 I bought a really nice used set of Ludwigs and began playing in local garage bands............during '75 - '78, I had the great privilege of playing with some of the best rockers in Dallas and the North Texas area while I attended music school at a local junior college. I loved playing in the precussion ensemble and the stage bands............I was lucky to get lessons from Steve Houghton and the late Paul Guererro.............we would drive up to Denton (NTU) and watch the famous lab bands of Leon Breeden............amazing..............incredible, actually.

In 1977, I traded my Ludwigs in and ordered a new set of Gretsch USA Customs.............I didn't know that I was buying a piece of history but I knew they cost twice as much as all the other drums in that music store...............and the floor model kit they had was gorgeous.

From 1982 until 1998, I played in a band that had many good gigs..........we played pop music and made some good cash on the side............I never, ever used a credit card at Christmas..........lots of gigs...........and you always could count on New Years Eve to get the best pay.

I had a child in 1990 and by 1998 I was sick of the late nights and smoky bars.................other than a dozen days or so in the recording studio, I would not play my drums for 13 years...............until now.

Don't make the same mistake I did.............keep playing........don't stop.
I'm trying to regain lost technique..........my doubles stink............I'm not as fast or as solid behind the kit any more.........it's all coming back, but way too slowly for my impatience.

My Mother is in her eighties and she is declining fast............I can see that there will not be many more years that I will be able to learn and (physically) develop like I want to...............I'm working on something every day.

The bottom line :
You drummers keep working...........always find somthing you can do today that will help you with technique, timing, reading charts, new fills, double-bass work, practice pad............anything !

And don't forget to reward yourself when you make progress.

Seize the day !

My grandmother's house in Lubbock, Texas was actually a four-plex; she lived in one apartment and rented the other three...........usually to students of nearby Texas Tech University.
When students move out, sometimes they leave stuff behind.........on one occasion, I found a stack of 45 rpm singles. This was early 60s stuff, Gene Pitney, Bobby Vinton, Chubby Checker, Elvis, etc.
I got to know these songs by listening over and over for weeks and months.

Also watching the variety shows with my parents, I would get to see Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich perform............I'd ask my Dad about their expressions and he would tell me that all drummers are weird but fun to watch.

Then, like many other American young people, my life changed in February, 1964 when the Beatles hit the stage on the Ed Sullivan Show........all my friends were attracted to the guitars and vocals but my eyes were locked on Ringo and what fun it looked like to play some awesome drums like his.

That same August, my Dad bought me a set of drums for my 11th Birthday.......a used set of Slingys he found in the newspaper want-ads...........a bass, a snare, a floor tom and one crash/ride cymbal...........that's it.
In the school band, I played trombone, but all my practice time was on my drums.

I learned to play along with my old 45s and some new Beatles records I added to the collection.

In 1973 I bought a really nice used set of Ludwigs and began playing in local garage bands............during '75 - '78, I had the great privilege of playing with some of the best rockers in Dallas and the North Texas area while I attended music school at a local junior college. I loved playing in the precussion ensemble and the stage bands............I was lucky to get lessons from Steve Houghton and the late Paul Guererro.............we would drive up to Denton (NTU) and watch the famous lab bands of Leon Breeden............amazing..............incredible, actually.

In 1977, I traded my Ludwigs in and ordered a new set of Gretsch USA Customs.............I didn't know that I was buying a piece of history but I knew they cost twice as much as all the other drums in that music store...............and the floor model kit they had was gorgeous.

From 1982 until 1998, I played in a band that had many good gigs..........we played pop music and made some good cash on the side............I never, ever used a credit card at Christmas..........lots of gigs...........and you always could count on New Years Eve to get the best pay.

I had a child in 1990 and by 1998 I was sick of the late nights and smoky bars.................other than a dozen days or so in the recording studio, I would not play my drums for 13 years...............until now.

Don't make the same mistake I did.............keep playing........don't stop.
I'm trying to regain lost technique..........my doubles stink............I'm not as fast or as solid behind the kit any more.........it's all coming back, but way too slowly for my impatience.

My Mother is in her eighties and she is declining fast............I can see that there will not be many more years that I will be able to learn and (physically) develop like I want to...............I'm working on something every day.

The bottom line :
You drummers keep working...........always find somthing you can do today that will help you with technique, timing, reading charts, new fills, double-bass work, practice pad............anything !

And don't forget to reward yourself when you make progress.

Seize the day !

i promise.

Screw that, I'll sleep in, thank you! Carpe noctem!

Back