What's the most money you've blown or wasted on a purchase?

BigDinSD

Gold Member
Is there anything you've purchased (expensive, let's say at least $100 plus) and found out you wasted your money because it was the wrong thing, or you actually didn't really need it?

I'm asking because I recently purchased a double bass pedal for $500. It was completely different (Long Board, Direct Drive) from my DW9000 that I spent 2 years on. Talk about frustrating for weeks...I just couldn't immediately get the doubles, triples, etc. I was used to on the DW.

It got to the point where I was thinking, man - did I just blow $500?????? Questions like; "Can I at least get $400 for this?" Or "I should have got the DW9000 double instead"....

Luckily, I wised up and took my time - made some adjustments and I am right back on track. Talk about a learning curve for me. I'm glad I woke up because the current pedal is amazing. As we all know, it's not so much the pedal, as it is the drummer...

I'd like to know what's the most anyone has blown on a bad purchase?

Mapex 500TW double bass pedal.

I was a beginner starting out on double bass (after rolling doubles with a single foot for two years) so I got the cheapest pedal I could find £120.

Turns out a year later that I should have spent an extra £30 and got a better pedal haha.

We all go through phases where we think that something is for us but it is not.
It is a right of passage when one enters into the world of drumming.
I bought Roto Toms in the 70's and it was a waste of money.
In the 80's I bought a double pedal that I hardly ever used.
I never should have bought my kit with Concert Toms in the 70's either. I did convert it to reso heads and get my use out of it though.
It happens to all of us.

About 7 years ago I made the mistake of buying hi-hats without trying them out in person. These are A Custom Mastersound hats. They're not bad, but since then I've played so many hats that I think sound much nicer. I'm finally going to replace them this year.

The only things I have bought and dont use are a drum dial and an evans torque key. But as for my radial drums, sabian cymbals and dixon hardware I was sure it was what I wanted or needed before buying them.

$200 on recording software (Sonar).

I spent hours trying to get the thing functional on a new computer, then gave up and downloaded Audacity for free and was recording in 20 minutes.

About 5 years ago I decided to upgrade my electronic kit with new snare pad, new kick pad, and some other stuff. I somehow justified that as being cheaper/easier than investing in new mics and mic inputs. Technically, that was true, but in retrospect, I should have just put that money toward the mics and inputs.

Live and learn.

I bought roto toms from my old concert band for $200 or so (I don't remember exactly). They were 10", 12", 14", and 16". That was in the 80's. T have no idea what I was thinking.

About 7 years ago I made the mistake of buying hi-hats without trying them out in person. These are A Custom Mastersound hats. They're not bad, but since then I've played so many hats that I think sound much nicer. I'm finally going to replace them this year.

Oh, forgot to mention I had these too - and did not try them out in person before buying.

I was lucky to recover 75% of my cost...

I expect sticks4drums to chime in any second. I believe he calls it the "monster"...
Not quite sure what I am supposed to be chiming in about. If you guys have a better name let me know. You guys bored tonight?

I have had the 13" version of these and never really liked them either. It was not until I recorded them that I was happy with the results. I guess this can be said of most recorded instruments. I recently purchased the KC Hybrid 13.25 which are incredible hats.

The most I've ever spent on any one thing that just sits in the corner for most of the year is a SAGE fly rod ($475). I have a lot of snare drums that don't get a lot of use either. I break them out from time to time. I think I will dust one of them off for my next gig.

I have had the 13" version of these and never really liked them either. It was not until I recorded them that I was happy with the results. I guess this can be said of most recorded instruments. I recently purchased the KC Hybrid 13.25 which are incredible hats.

KC Hybrid 13.25 hats do sound incredible. I dare not purchase anymore hats so I don't have to list one of them on this post...

Back