How do you lay down a drum track in a song?

I saw some band's video of them in the studio and what they did is get a scratch guitar recorded with a click then the drummer would lay his track to the scratch. Then re-record the guitar and other stuff.
Mastodon on the other hand has Brann Dailor drum to the riffs, not prerecorded, and then they put on bass, rhythm guitar, lead guitar, then vocals.

In addition to what everyone else has said, if the track is essentially complete except for the drums, I would pay particular attention to what the bass is doing and lock in your groove with that, also listening for any full-band hits that you should accentuate and making sure your dynamics are appropriate for the different sections of the song.

I think it's more of a creative process than anything, but critical listening is pretty key so you don't step all over what the other musicians are playing.

That's my take on it.

I hope he returns to correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem to me as if he's asking: at what point the drums should be recorded, or if they should be recorded to a click, or if the bass player and guitarist should be there with him.....but, how does he go about formulating drum parts to compliment the pre-recorded play alongs on the Igoe DVD. In fact, the OP said it himself.

"I want to know the methodical way ( or composition way ) you use to build a drum track in a song."

Why would he need a click?........ .

Just got back to the post, and thanks to all this nice responses, but as the guy here wrote ( and as I wrote in the middle, maybe some of you didn't read it.) I am not into studio drum recording , that is, what to do with the click, what to record first, and so on, but as I said before :
"I want to know the methodical way ( or composition way ) you use to build a drum track in a song."
So this is the only answer I got so far that answer my question, any more ideas ? btw? :)

Start by playing simple time along to the tune, no fills, no crashes....just feel the groove. Listen to what's being played....what does it need? What can you add? Slowly start to add some of yourself to the track, include some simple fills....try to feel the mood of the track, imagine the musical changes and then try to add some fills that set up those changes. Always be sensitive to what others are playing, but also try to be yourself at the same time. Record yourself and listen back. Build from there, add some spice and get a little more complicated if it's called for. Set a good groove as a foundation and add your own flair.

Are you playing WITH the other musicians as opposed to playing TO the other musicians?.....there IS a difference IMO.

I can't tell you how to play mate....that's your cross to carry. This is what the learning experience is all about.....this is YOUR musical journey. Just listen to the music and try to become a part of the process.....keep the pulse, create mood and invoke feeling. IMHO, that's what being a drummer in a band is all about..

Back