New Snare Drum - Need Advice

McGowanSonor

Hi

I currently play in a melodic metal band, using a Sonor Force 2007. I love this kit, everything sounds great, apart from the snare. I have the Remo Powerstroke 3 skin on it with the pinstripes and so on, and replaced the snares, but I just cant get it to sound right. Its a pretty average snare drum to be honest...

Anyway, im on a mission to buy a new snare. Im a ''first timer'' at this, so i was hoping to get some advice on what sounds and feels good. Obviously i play in a metal band, so i need it to sound tight a precise. We dont use too many blast beats, but i do use them in a number of songs, and there are plenty of fast rolls etc. If you are interested in hearing my drum sound, check out our myspace : www.myspace.com/ayerametal

When i recorded with my band i used a Ludwig black beauty steel snare similar to this, with a black remo skin (not sure exactly what it was). It was really tight, and it felt and sounded amazing! So, this is at the top of the list.

I was also thinking about a Mapex Black Panther (this is my maple option)

What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi
When i recorded with my band i used a Ludwig black beauty steel snare similar to this, with a black remo skin (not sure exactly what it was). It was really tight, and it felt and sounded amazing! So, this is at the top of the list.
Thanks

The Black Beauty is a brass shell. Not steel.

If it's at the top of your list, what's stopping you? Get it. Brilliant drum. I own one and I love it. If you liked it for recording, you'll love it for gigging. I'd go for the 14" x 6.5" tho. I'd suggest it anyway but especially for metal.

Oh maybe i should read the description better :p Thanks for pointing that out! Anyway, the one i used to recording was apparently a steel one, and im pretty sure it was a similar size to that. Is there much difference in the sound between a steel and brass shell?

Check out the Morgan Rose sig snare. It's steel and a 14 x 5. It will have a little less body than a deeper snare but can definitely give you a tight snare sound with a lot of cutting capability.

It also has an interesting finish, but you have to like green.

There are so many really that fall into the sound description you gave.

Is there much difference in the sound between a steel and brass shell?

Plenty. Steel snares lend themselves to being very cold sounding drums I find. And that's not a negative, it's just the best description I can offer. I find brass snares a lot warmer and brighter. More virbrant perhaps. I've never owned a steel snare though, so I can only really speak for the brass.

I bet if you change the heads on the 3007 snare to say coated emps on top and ambassador snare side on the reso, crank them to the tighter side (especially the reso head) and get your snares pretty tight, it should sound great.

Heads and tuning is where you should always start before looking to replace anything.

Sounds to me like you have a dead head that's tuned too slack, that's the impression I'm getting.

Also make sure that reso is tight and sings a high note when lightly tapped w/ the snares off.

Hey man,

Its 2007, not 3007...so its a birch shell. Iv tried everything with tuning, i just cant get the sound i want out of it. I just replaced the heads and snares and tightened everything, still no go.

I'd recommend the Tama Metalworks Steel Snare 6.5 x 14. Speaking from first hand experience, it's pretty awesome. Just the right amount of ring, a very defined crack, just defined attack overall and the 6.5 inch depth adds a lot of depth to the hits. It's also a very loud snare, so just keep that in mind.

Back