Off Time On Time

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
I just won a copy of the DVD, On Time Off Time, by Spanky from Tiger Bill Direct.
Does anyone know much about it? thanks

Not really. I've seen a few snippets (posted on facebook by Hudson Music) and it looks quite interesting. Way too advanced for me.

Just got this. I understand odd timing but the exercises aren't explained as well as they could be. That's okay, I can still learn with a little perseverance but Gavin Harrison did a better job of breaking down subdivisions and spacings in his DVD, and I was able to learn those things easily.

I'll eat my words if I change my mind after a few more views.

I posted a review of it in the dvd review thread.

NAME:
George 'Spanky' McCurdy - Off Time/On Time

STAR RATING:
##

WORDED RATING:
Nicely produced but ultimately covers topics that are covered more completely in other books. A DVD that didn't need to be made.

TARGET AUDIENCE:
Intermediate - Funk/Gospel players

PUBLISHED BY:

Hudson Music

DESCRIPTION:
The DVD aims to cover the idea of playing with the illusion of being off time but still remaining in time.
It is the usual high quality Hudson production and sounds good (Spanky has some interesting choice in cardigans) but is ultimately let down because all the topics covered are covered in other material in a much more details and thought through manner.

In a similar way to the Aaron Spears DVD, Spanky knows what he plays but can;t communicate that effectively enough. His playing doesn't grab me like Aarons does and as such the DVD isn't massively entertaining either.

As i could workout 'Off time' to spanky means either displacing the beat by whole quarter notes or a combination of polyrhythms and syncopated phrases in the hats and or snare which are then mirrored in the kick.

If these topics are something that interest you i would check out the Gavin Harrison books and dvds and also possibly some stuff by Pete Magadini or Thomas Lang.

Spanky isn't a bad player, he has to be good to play for Lady Gaga, but like lots of dvds and books out there...it didn't need to be made.

Just my 2c

D

Pretty much.

I watched it again a couple of times and it did get easier to follow, he just doesn't dumb certain things down enough to catch the first time.

Regardless, shifting the 1 just isn't a priority to me right now. I didn't care when I saw Gavin Harrison do it either. David Garibaldi apparently covers the subject too.

I realize I sound a bit ignorant - Spanky can obviously apply what he does very well, and it's beyond me, doesn't make me care though. Excellent drummer, I just don't connect with his style, or the music in the video. And I don't like those onyx heads.

Last edited:
Not ignorant man.

I personally don't think that it is even that off time. Its more syncopation. He isn't displacing the whole groove in the same way that harrison does.

I also didn't connect with his style. Guys like chris coleman, aaron spears etc resonate more with me that he does.

Just personal preference.

D

Back