Drum muting vs E-drums

frisco68

Hey, I've been browsing the site for a while and have searched the forum for opinions and answers, but I'm still in a bit of a tight spot and need your advise.

I started drumming on an acoustic set about 3 years ago. I tend to play quite hard, but had no problem with my wrists or anything, until I had to sell my acoustic set at the beginning of the year because we moved to a residential complex where no extreme noise such as drumming is allowed, so I bought an electronic kit, a Roland TD3 to be precise. I thought this would be the best solution until my wrist started paining because of the vibrations produced by the rubber pads of the e-kit. I am going to the doctor tomorrow, so I am sure with treatment the pain would go away. But as soon as I start to drum again I would have to make some changes. I thought about buying some Zildjian anti-vibe sticks, but get a lot of mixed opinions on that. The other thing I can do, seeing that I am on quite a tight budget is to buy an acoustic set again, which I had no problems with my wrist on and just use mute pads.

What do you guys think?

Have a teacher check out your technique if you already haven't.

I think you may a causal-correlation thing here. It may not have been the rubber pads that is causing wrist problems, rather it could have been building up, even when you were playing the acoustic, but the problems didn't flare up until your electric kit. If that makes any sense.

Anyway, I think most wrist problems so early in your drumming life are technique related.

Have a teacher check out your technique if you already haven't.

I think you may a causal-correlation thing here. It may not have been the rubber pads that is causing wrist problems, rather it could have been building up, even when you were playing the acoustic, but the problems didn't flare up until your electric kit. If that makes any sense.

Anyway, I think most wrist problems so early in your drumming life are technique related.

Yes it does make sense. But my teacher said that my technique is correct, but I will have it verified again.

Yes, you can injure yourself with electronic drum pads. Plus, you won't develop touch and tone for acoustic drums.

So you would suggest that I get an acoustic set with mute pads, because its not possible for me to get one of those hybrid kits, seeing as import costs and support from the manufacturer would be a problem for me - I live in the dark continent of Africa

Yeah I use a TD12 and have never had any wrist problems. You can play the Rolands quite gently - you don't have to bash them so I would just relax, put on some reggae (ideal for relaxed drumming) and see how gently you can play.

Dynamics on my TD6 was not great. I notice a big difference in the TD12.

BTW what sticks are you using?

Davo

The problem is I play quite hard and gig with an acoustic set, so it kind of defeats the purpose of having a electronic kit for practice reasons only and then having to change my style just to practice.

I play with Vic Firth 5A's or sometime 7A's

I use TD20, no problem at all when it's kevlar pads instead of rubber ones. Consider the option to replace your rubber snare pad to PDX-8 pad. It might a solution of your problem, at least snare will be made of kevlar.

Good luck,

Serge

www.whatdrum.com

My kit has the mesh snare. Looks like this one:

images

The thing that messes me up are the the cymbals pads, seeing that it is my right wrist that gives me problems

Back