Show Off Your DW Kit

If they left you hanging to the point you needed a lawyer, that's rough. I have been shopping there since 1978 (no lie) and never an issue. Usually, a DW problem is dealt with DW directly, but if they legit screwed you it's good you hold them accountable and share the experience.

The two threads I started regarding "high end kit" or "14in ft"...those threads are dealing with the whole mess. It is long and drawn out.

I can tell you that I loved drum world and then they totally left me out to dry during multiple issues. The final straw was when I called them to inform them that I had a myriad of problems with the collector's kit and I needed help. They didn't ask me what those problems were or to see the kit and just said they would get back to me. They never got back to me. Seven days later, (and this story is very long) I got in contact with a lawyer for the first time in my life about consumer protection and then called them. Upon hearing my voice, it was apparent they were dodging me as they said "oh, sorry, forgot to call you back. DW isn't going to do anything about the kit."

Now as I said, they never asked me what the problems were or to look at the kit. So how could anyone make that decision? I informed them I had a lawyer. Two hours later, the whole kit was getting replaced. The story is a good read in those threads though :)

Bottom line, I had to cut drum world out of the mix. John Good of DW called me personally after I sent him a letter and is taking care of me. And that wasn't the only issue I had with Drum World not looking out for me as a customer. I have many stories. As I said, I've never even had close to that experience shopping for anything else. So, just a fair warning to anyone.

Personally, I judge a business by what they do in the worst case scenarios, not the best. And in this case, they were bad enough I had to get an attorney, which believe me, took a ton of stress and lost sleep before I came to that decision.

Sorry for the derail of the thread! Keep showing those kits! :)

I will make a sound check vid/ tour for you. I am a fan of the 16x20. I have it in a VLT and a VLX.
VLX tunes low, and I tend to tighten the heads up to give a pointed attack. Maye the X shell would be the perfect in between. Iit's crazy how tight I have the heads and how low the 20" VLX remains. It's like the drum is eq'ed.
A 20" is punchier and clearer imo than the 22". Near field the sound comes off a bit faster to my ear, and that responsiveness makes it fun to play. If you like a "boomy" sound, just remove the muffling and it's there. I dug a 23" X I had the chance to play too. So if you want a bit more volume/loudness, that is the advantage the bigger diameter.

I've got a question about your rack. How tall are the two side bars in the front that attach to the legs? The product description says it comes with 1 42" curved bar (front) and 2 36" straight bars (sides) and 2 24" straight bars (i'm guessing for the legs). However, I've seen a few pics of dw racks that look like the 2 front vertical bars are different heights. See attached images. In the first image the bars look tall. I've seen images of dw racks where the side vertical bars look shorter allowing for lower crashes above the toms (more my style)...see second image. I know you can adjust the cymbal tube height, etc, but can you adjust the actual 'bar' height? Feel like I'm missing something unless they had them custom cut...

DV016_Jpg_Large_445182.jpg

IMG_0148_2.jpg

Recent pic's with DW rack system and lots of DW goodies. 24 x 24 DW kick to be added this weekend where the blue woofer sits.

Attachments

• IMG_0073.JPG
    IMG_0073.JPG
    264.2 KB · Views: 3,842
  • IMG_0072.JPG
    IMG_0072.JPG
    266.7 KB · Views: 3,506
  • IMG_0076.JPG
    IMG_0076.JPG
    263.2 KB · Views: 3,501
  • IMG_0082.JPG
    IMG_0082.JPG
    296.1 KB · Views: 3,485
  • IMG_0083.JPG
    IMG_0083.JPG
    264.1 KB · Views: 3,501
  • IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    240.7 KB · Views: 3,463
I've got a question about your rack. How tall are the two side bars in the front that attach to the legs? The product description says it comes with 1 42" curved bar (front) and 2 36" straight bars (sides) and 2 24" straight bars (i'm guessing for the legs). However, I've seen a few pics of dw racks that look like the 2 front vertical bars are different heights.tached images.
That horizontal straight side bar was cut down in the photo. The two front "main" vertical bars are equal height. I will have to grab a tape measure and get back to you.

That horizontal straight side bar was cut down in the photo. The two front "main" vertical bars are equal height. I will have to grab a tape measure and get back to you.

Thanks! I actually ordered my rack last night :) I found a friend who has a pipe cutter shoudl I need to 'trim' it down a bit. Hopefully it will be in next week.

such nice drums - such awful pics...no 50$ Camera around?

B.

Did the best I could with what I had... an iPod. One would think it would take better pic's, but honestly, it's probably more the user than the equipment. I'm a 34 year drummer, but never claimed to be a professional photographer.

I'll see if my 8 year old digital camera does any better.

Hopefully these are a little better...

Attachments

• DSC02420.JPG
    DSC02420.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 3,193
  • DSC02419.JPG
    DSC02419.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 3,169
  • DSC02418.JPG
    DSC02418.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 3,220
  • DSC02417.JPG
    DSC02417.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 3,216
  • DSC02415.JPG
    DSC02415.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 3,251
  • DSC02416.JPG
    DSC02416.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 3,218
...a few more, and I'll stop there. Thanks for the feedback!

Attachments

• DSC02431.JPG
    DSC02431.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 3,204
  • DSC02432.JPG
    DSC02432.JPG
    151.1 KB · Views: 3,198
  • DSC02433.JPG
    DSC02433.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 3,203
I don't have any pics yet but I just placed an order for the following:

7x14 DW Edge Snare
Blue Twisted Oyster Finish Ply
Maple/Mahogany VLT Core
Chrome Edge Rings/Hardware

Should be here in 10-14 weeks! CAN'T WAIT!!!

Does the canon work better w/ or w/out the woofer?

I played around just briefly with a woofer in front of the 24 x 24, and honestly, it was very difficult to tell much difference since the shell is so deep as it is. I'm sure in a studio, the woofer would make somewhat of a difference given the internal mic's on each drum, but I personally don't think it would be a better one. The same goes for the 28. If I were using the 28 as a primary, I could definitely tune and muffle it to work great, however not with a woofer. I use the woofer on the 28 since this is a secondary effect drum at this point, oh, and it looks cool as s*%#! :)

Thought I'd show this guy off here; came in the mail yesterday. 14x7 2005 Edge in black fade over mapa burl. Mint condition. The tru-tone snares are still in their original package. not sure it's eveer even been tuned and played.

DSC09572.jpg

Thought I'd show this guy off here; came in the mail yesterday. 14x7 2005 Edge in black fade over mapa burl. Mint condition. The tru-tone snares are still in their original package. not sure it's eveer even been tuned and played.
Beauty, moves to the top of your collection for sure!

Back