Evans G1 or G2 on Yamaha MCA

mkfly2626

Hello forumers,

I recently bought a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute Kit.
At the present, I have stock heads.

I hesitate to put Evans G1 or G2 clear's batter on toms (I've been used to play G2 cotated on a birch kit).

What do you suggest?

Thanks

I've been using Evans G1 coated over G1 clear heads on my Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute drums for about three years. The stock Remo heads sounded good, but I had a bit of coating flaking going on with Remo. I like the sound of Evans, they hold up well and are available at any drum shop. I record a lot with my Yamaha drums and these recordings might take place over a few days for any one project, so I'm enjoying the consistency in sound of the Evans heads. In fact I just bought the same combination for my Ludwig Classic Maple kit yesterday.

I still do use Remo heads on one of my kits, but I'll probably be switching over to Evans something.

Dennis

I do prefer Evans coating (use them on my birch) but I was talking about clear ones.

You never played them?

I am using Evans EC2 SST's, clear on my Gretsch. Maple but not Birch, but they play well and kill overtones. And on my drums sound every bit as good as Evans coated G2's

You might consider Gplus(12 mil) over Gplus. You can sample the head at the evans sight. Gplus as a reso is gaining a following due to physics - thicker head, lower sounding note and longer sustain (but less high frequency) w/ the benefits of a single ply (win win). I am about to switch my 10 and 12 inch to this, and am thinking of clear G14's over G14's for my floor toms

I do prefer Evans coating (use them on my birch) but I was talking about clear ones.

You never played them?

The only drums that I still use Evans G2 clear batter heads on are my Tama Starclassic Bubinga drums. My Gretsch Renowns came with Evans G2 clear batter heads from the factory, but I changed them and put G2 coated heads on the drums instead. With me it's a match of the shells and the heads combined with the tuning to create the sound I want to hear. I find it difficult to advise someone on what heads to use because of the other variables that are always present.

Dennis

I've got Remo Vintages on my YMCAN toms now (10, 12 ,14, 16) but have had coated G2's over clear G1's with very nice results. I've gone through different heads but like the sound of double ply coated over single ply clear or coated.

Not sure what size toms you have but I want to try using a different head on my my 10 than the rest of the toms. That guy just doesn't sing as much as I want with a thicker head.

When I first got the drums in 2004 I replaced the stock heads immediately with Aquarian Studio X's over Classic Clears. Those sounded nice too.

This series of drums is just nice sounding with a variety of heads. I would stay away from really heavy heads like Hydraulics or Emperor X styles. We pay good money to hear the sound of these drums and a heavy head takes a good part of that away.

My .02

Jim

Wow, I don't know whether the coated emps were dying and the pins were at their peak but the pins sounded more open than the coated emps to me. The pins sounded wicked actually.

The snare in the pins soundfile sounded great. What heads were you using and what type of snare is it?

thanks for your answers.

i think im definitely on G1's. but clear or coated? (always play coated)

my stock heads are yamaha's remo clear ambassadors.

il like the clear round sound but they re a little fatty when hitting with the stick. maybe i should try coted?

im looking for a round warm stick rebound with attack sound (not to high pitched like jazzmen)

Back