NAMM 2018 New Gear Thread

RobertM

Platinum Member
Just wanted to get this thread started!

I noticed that Bosphorus Cymbals has a new line out, which I believe they'll debut at NAMM: the Syncopation Series.

Boston Drum Center has a pretty good demo of the hats, crashes, and rides, which has just been posted. There are two lines in the Syncopation Series: "Lathed" and "SW" (sand washed). The SW cymbals are supposed to have more definition and shorter sustain than their shinier siblings. Both lines are nicely, heavily hammered.

Any other news?

I'll have to take everyone's word on how great the new cymbals will sound. NAMM sucks when it comes to actually hearing the new instruments! The show floor is so loud with everyone making noise you might as well forget trying to hear any cool subtleties there might be.

Now if I could take some of those new cymbals upstairs to the Pearl room that would be another matter.....

Tama is coming out with some cool gear, shown here.

The new pedal is a throwback.

142.png

Ludwig has the raw brass snare, basically a Black Beauty without the black finish, and raw patina a la the Copperphonic. Affectionately known as the Raw Beauty™ :)

Bermuda

Roland came up with new PA systems for e drums. PAM 100 and 200 I think.

Tama made the new S.L.P. kits which are mid range

Tama also came up with new finishes and sizes for their Superstar Hyperdrive which I'm excited about.

Tama also made some vintage styled hardware which is super cool

Ludwig has the raw brass snare, basically a Black Beauty without the black finish, and raw patina a la the Copperphonic. Affectionately known as the Raw Beauty™ :)

Bermuda

I saw a few of those on Reverb the last few weeks. Very cool looking. Really tempted to buy one, just hard to justify another snare. Seeing as your a Ludwig guy, did you know if this is a short run of drums or something that’ll be offered for a long time?

Bermuda

LUDWIG should modernize the L201, call it the 'SPEED QUEEN'.

Her time is now, hand over the reigns.

Any new finishes for Pearl Masters kits or Gretsch USA Customs? Tama has some new finishes for Star and Starclassic.

Meinl Traditional Polyphonic and Jazz Monophonic ride cymbals sound pretty good, as do the Bosphorus Syncopation rides.

LUDWIG should modernize the L201, call it the 'SPEED QUEEN'.

I think Electrolux owns the name, although the druggie/cross-dressing thing isn't lost on me. :O

I saw a few of those on Reverb the last few weeks. Very cool looking. Really tempted to buy one, just hard to justify another snare. Seeing as your a Ludwig guy, did you know if this is a short run of drums or something that’ll be offered for a long time?

It's a catalog item, unless it simply stops selling. I think it will do well though. Sound-wise, it's a Black Beauty, which is great. But most drummers like a little extra visual, and they look pretty cool. I think they'll be around a while, along with the Copperphonic.

Bermuda

Any new finishes for Pearl Masters kits or Gretsch USA Customs? Tama has some new finishes for Star and Starclassic.

Meinl Traditional Polyphonic and Jazz Monophonic ride cymbals sound pretty good, as do the Bosphorus Syncopation rides.

Gretsch will likely do some finishes "off the menu" if you find a dealer who has good working relationship with the factory. I've confirmed that recently. They go so far as to state it in the price-list I've seen.

"Color matching and custom finishes available"

My dealer said DW has brought expanded color options to Gretsch. In general, the finishes should be available across the USA Custom, Broadkaster and Brooklyn lines.

Yep, Tama has some interesting additions. I am particularly interested in the Star Walnut and the Indigo Japanese Sen Burst finish. Very tempting as Tama is making some of the very best drums (and integrated hardware) on the planet in my opinion. Plus, you can get the sizes some don't offer in the "flagship" lines (14" depth bass drums, 15" floor toms etc). Maybe the best value in "high-end" ply drums now.

I am glad to see the Classic light-weight stand series expanded (completed), including a tom/snare stand for those that prefer a lighter alternative to the Star Series tom stand. I suspect Tama will have none of the issues DW (and others) have seen with slipping or stripped tilters etc.

Still would like to see Tama offer tom holder on their bass drums for the Star Series. Their shells should be able to handle that.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 8.35.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 8.35.16 AM.png
    377 KB · Views: 1,414
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 8.42.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-18 at 8.42.15 AM.png
    24 KB · Views: 1,356
But I don't think these are technically NAMM material since they are available now in North America. Well, I take that back. Technically they say they are available world wide in spring, so maybe they are Not Available Maybe May material.

This is sadly too true

Tama's new Hand Hammered Copper Star Reserve Snare looks and sounds amazing, I gotta have one.

Attachments

• Tama Copper Snare 8 lug Star Reserve.jpg
    Tama Copper Snare 8 lug Star Reserve.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,283
Tama's new Hand Hammered Copper Star Reserve Snare looks and sounds amazing, I gotta have one.
That does look amazing! I'd love to hear it in person.

Tama made the new S.L.P. kits which are mid range
The S.L.P.s are priced at mid range, but they are not typical mid range drums. They are actually R&D creations, available to the public (at really good prices) to allow the R&D team to experiment and also see what public acceptance is (and make money on their creations). It's actually a brilliant marketing/R&D strategy if you have a company that can afford to do that (which Tama obviously can).
Disclaimer: I'm a Tama fan :), but the concept seems very cool to me.

That does look amazing! I'd love to hear it in person.

The S.L.P.s are priced at mid range, but they are not typical mid range drums. They are actually R&D creations, available to the public (at really good prices) to allow the R&D team to experiment and also see what public acceptance is (and make money on their creations). It's actually a brilliant marketing/R&D strategy if you have a company that can afford to do that (which Tama obviously can).
Disclaimer: I'm a Tama fan :), but the concept seems very cool to me.

Yes, great idea Tama! That slp line is definitely going places.

The spruce one though I need to play as it has a special place in my heart, as it is the obiquitous species we see when we go outdoors up north.

For the foul-tasting beer it has given its name to, the damaged snowmobiles / cross-country skiers, and for every ruined campfire it has ever been in, I'd be more than happy to give it the whacking of a lifetime it deserves !

Back