How to Buy a Top Level Kit

SkaaDee

Hi All

I've had this problem that some of you may have an opinion on.
I've played for a few decades so drumming will be a life-long hobby.
I play everyday. All my kits are intermediate type kits like Sonor 2007,
Mapex Pro M, and Tama Swingstar (I consider the Swingstars entry level actually).

I could probably shell out a few thousand to get a pro level kit
but where I live (Ottawa, Canada) there's no practical way to play
and compare them. In drum shops the drums are usually stacked. I realise
the salesperson would set them up, one after another if I was serious
but banging away for a couple of days in plain view and earshot seems incredibly awkward and uncomfortable.
I like relative isolation and I like to live with a kit for awhile. It's not like taking a guitar off the rack
and plugging it in. Even if the vendor is willing to have me buy them with the option of exchange
would probably compel me to purchase something from his or her shop.

I still like playing the drums I already have but think I hear short comings,
although do I?
Until I've played top of the line kits it's hard to know.

Am I being cheap? Should I just dive in and buy Yamaha because Steve Gadd plays them? Gretsch because of Charlie Watts? Etc.
I've always found that a shallow way to make a decision since any top drummer could play my Sonors and make them sing.

Has anyone else experienced this?
It's almost like buying a sports car without a test drive.
How did you decide on the pro level drums you play?

Thanks
Scott

Most drummers do not ever get to sample top level gear before they buy it.
Most stores don't even stock it. It is special order.
I have been fortunate enough to have had access to many high end kits.
I don't however own any.
I discovered that I am content with intermediate drums.
The intermediate kits of today play so well that I would just be spending thousands of dollars on a kit that wouldn't make me a better player.
I am happy playing a $1000 kit. I wouldn't be any happier if it was a $3000 kit.

Testing before you buy a top level kit may be easier if you are in a major market where the demand is consistently there from a consumer. I am not in that market.

The highest level drums around in my parts (Western, NY) are Gretsch Renowns which are considered semi-pro at the very least and some consider pro level. Not for me to debate. The eqivalent Mapex and a few even higher end DW's are also generally around to try out.

When I worked at a music store the profit margin wasn't there on the kits to warrant the owners tying up that kind of real estate and money on the high end kits to stock them much. The turnover was slow at best. For every one high end kit, they'd sell 10-20 mid/low end kit.

That being said, to get to your question, I think it takes a lot of research and a little leap of faith - or - some travel time to a major market (i.e. Steve Maxwells in NYC) to see what's there. Then again, you are restricted by whatever brand that shop sells and has available at the time of visit.

The 3 pro level kits I've purchased since 1984 - Yamaha Recording Customs, Gretsch New Clasics and Gretsch USA Customs all came by ordering and a leap of faith. I did a ton of research beforehand and was always happy at the outcome.

I look at it this way: you don't have to justify whatever it is that you want. If you have the money and really want it, why not just get it? It might inspire you to at more but that's about it. I've owned many a pro level kit so far in my lifetime and I tend to sound the same on everything I sit down at. So if you really want it, go get it. You only live once, right? The reason many pros play pro kits isn't so much about sound but about construction and durability. The kit has to work through all the traveling and set-ups and tear downs. Pro kits are meant to take the abuse. All it takes is $$$ if you got it.

i live in ottawa as well... the only hope for seeing a pro level kit is at international musicland out in barrhaven... they might, and i mean might have a dw kit on the floor... other than that one kit, i don't think there is a u.s made kit in ottawa... well actually i am wrong... dave's drum shop on gladstone might have a gretsch... and he sometimes has older vintage stuff... but you never know, you have to keep checking in with him

It's not at all essential for me to play a kit, before I purchase it ..... but I go into that purchase knowing what the kit sounds like. 'Cause usually, I've heard that brand/model kit many times before. And let's add, hearing a kit from the front is different than hearing it from the drivers seat. So, over the years of listening to hundreds of different kits, I know what I like, and what I don't. And then I only spend my money on what I like.​
As far as your Watts/Gadd question. No. Don't buy a Gretsch USA maple because of Charlie. Charlie plays a '57 round badge. Whole different ballgame from a new Gretsch. I love the round badge sound, so I own an RB kit. With Gadd, same thing. Steve plays a maple kick, and birch toms. If that's the sound you want, then that's the combo you wanna buy. Buying a Recording Custom, or an MCA ..... close, but no cigar.​
The fact that you own 3 kits, already .... you know how different kits sound ........ different. Stepping into a high end kit is gonna work the same. A different sound.​

If you're going to take a punt on something without being able to play it first then maybe stick with something you know you'll be able to sell relatively easily. If you went ahead and bought a Yamaha Recording Custom/Pearl Reference/Tama Starclassic shell pack and a Supraphonic/Black Panther/ to go with it then if you didn't like them you'd shift them no problem.

I'm sort of in the same boat, I'm going to be auditioning for the 'con' where I live, and If I get in and pursue a career in music and drums persay I want to sell my trashy 2nd hand entry level kit and find an instrument that's an investment for a lifetime of performing, and it's so confusing trying to figure out what that is exactly... I don't want to pay for a brand like DW, I want a kit that has a bit of character and soul etc.. DW to me have this superficial and plastic style that I just can't fathom. . .
:X

Thanks for the well thought out and quick responses
and it' nice to come across another Ottawa drummer, Mikeo.
Even though there doesn't seem to be a consensus in this thread
I think I get a clearer picture as to how to go about this. It's probably
impractical to expect to compare a large amount of kits before I
buy.

Thanks again.

If you're going to take a punt on something without being able to play it first then maybe stick with something you know you'll be able to sell relatively easily. If you went ahead and bought a Yamaha Recording Custom/Pearl Reference/Tama Starclassic shell pack and a Supraphonic/Black Panther/ to go with it then if you didn't like them you'd shift them no problem.

This is sound advice. However, keep in mind, if you buy new and don't like it, you're going to take a hit on the price if you sell. If you were able to find something used along these lines, and don't like it, you'll hopefully be able to sell it for about what you paid.

Best advice I can give you after playing drums for over 40 years is to make your own decision. Narrow your choices down as much as you can to the brands that interest you most. You don't need to get recommendations to be honest because something this other person likes may not be suitable for you. Take advantage of the Youtube videos to get an idea on sounds and sizes that interest you. Then try and find those brands in person whether it be friends that have them or at local shops or backline providers and try them in person.
You may also consider renting a set from your local shop to try the set for a week or so to help with your decision. This might be best for you because you could then put the heads of your choice on the kit to see how it would sound. Ultimately you will be happiest with your decision if you make it yourself instead of being influenced by some Endorser.

The reason many pros play pro kits isn't so much about sound but about construction and durability. The kit has to work through all the traveling and set-ups and tear downs. Pro kits are meant to take the abuse. All it takes is $$$ if you got it.

this is interesting right here because i've been told most shells come from the same factory regardless of company, at least beneath a certain price point.

A pro kit usually has shell construction that is specified just for that kit.
Higher end hardware is also used.
There is more labor time put into the finish.

A pro kit isn't more durable than a mid range kit.
All kits will scratch and get dinged if they are mishandled.

I agree with pretty much everything RickP said.
There are a lot of resources available today that weren't here in the past.
Do your research, go with whichever seems to be the best shot, and see if they turn out to be everything you expected.

All just speculation on my part, because I don't buy high end drums, although I did get one pretty expensive kit a long time ago. I wouldn't do it again, but don't regret having done it.

If I needed a nice pro level kit, but was a bit hesitant on what to buy, I'd go to Guitar Center's website. There are numerous used pro level kits at very reasonable prices. Would they ship to Canada?

As far as Yamaha, there are currently Maple and Birch Custom Absolutes, Recording Custom, Oak Custom all ranging from $900 to $1800 and some higher. But quite a few below $1800. There are also usually a bunch of Tama Starclassic kits, Pearl Sessions and the like. You could upgrade and try something out, without putting a bunch of cash at risk.

Know exactly what you want before you put down the money. I was able to play the kit I wanted without any issues at all at my dealer. I honestly think it is very important to hear the kit, get to see the kit and compare it to others of the same caliber. Also consider the availability of add on drums in the future. You want to make sure you are buying into a kit you can grow with if needed or get parts/support.

The stores I shop at let you test out all their equipment with no issues. If I am going to spend
$$$ on a drum kit then I had better be able to try it out to make sure its what I want.

Also keep an eye out for top level kits that are lightly used. I see a lot of touring pro drummers who sell their tour kits often in great condition for a bargain. Knowing what you want though will guide you towards knowing what to look for in that market.

Think of it as an investment. I remember when I first ordered my custom Pork Pie (10 years ago) from Guitar Center, I had to shell out 25% of the total out the door price (which was about $3000). This was 'before' they even started making the drums. I called the warehouse and the turnaround time was about 3 months. So I was able to make monthly payments in those 3 months and the day it arrived I had a zero balance. I bought my cases at Guitar Center the same day I picked up the kit. Not sure how it works these days but I'm sure any local drum shop will work out a payment plan for you. I feel like I got my money's worth at this point. Kinda thinking about building a new kit, but not pork pie as they've become mainstream now.

this is interesting right here because i've been told most shells come from the same factory regardless of company, at least beneath a certain price point.
And Pro kits are above that price point. You buy from Tama, Gretsch, Ludwig, Sonor, Pearl, DW, Yamaha, etc. ..... their high end kits are all made differently. Sure, laminated ply shells all have, to some degree, shared common elements. But these drum shells are not all coming out of the same factory.​
With lower end drums, yes, to some extent, there is some cross-sharing. But, when you're talking a $300 of $400 drum set, they gotta save money, somehow.​

Back