What kit to buy for a newbie? Advise please

grecko

good day all,this is my first time here and i really need help...ive only been playing for six months and am totally hooked its all i want to do right now..im so keen to get a kit but not sure how to get what i want, my teacher is trying to sell me a really nice mapex kit at a great price,however,,am i going to regret this the second i start to play on a gretch or tamma? how do i know what symbols i like if i cant hit them all at the same time,start small to find out ? or just get the best i can afford and switch from there ? i live in brisbane australia and would gladly shout a few beers over lunch to pick some brains,0438439237 please help.

Re: helpful advise please

I really suggest you search the forum, theres 1000+ threads on this topic, also the forum rules do say that you should make the title more specific, "helpful advise please" is pretty ambiguous.

Anyway since you've already got a teacher ask him about it, he knows who you are, what playing style you have, as well as what genre you will mostly be playing and can help get the best kit for you.

Although he maybe a bit bias with his Mapex kit remember that hes been playing drums way longer, he will have care and respect for all of his drums and wont just be trying to sell you a kit for a bit of quick profit. This is all assuming he is a good reputable teacher and not some guy giving lessons cause he plays rock/metal drums and some jazz.

Mapex do make excellent kits even in there lower range of the Tornado, The Meridian Birch is a great kit, but may be out of your price range, having your price range might help by the way.

As for cymbals, always try to go out and play them in the store, then you can know what they sound like as each cymbal sounds different, but as a guide always spend more on cymbals than on your drums, you can tune drums to sound good but you cant tune a cymbal.

Ps its "Cymbal" not "Symbol"

I really suggest you search the forum, theres 1000+ threads on this topic, also the forum rules do say that you should make the title more specific, "helpful advise please" is pretty ambiguous. (...)

Ps its "Cymbal" not "Symbol"
+1. Correctamente.
That's why I just did exactly this. It's really pointless to have "helpful advise please" as a thread title - info content is close to zero. So next time take a few seconds to come up with a more specific thread title.

There's more spelling errors than that - but the above is drumming related.

Apart from the good advice you've already be given there's one aspect nobody can avoid - growing as a musician. This means your taste may vary from now, and your ears might develop so there might be stuff in the future (sonically/musically) that you like now and start to not like in the future, or vice versa. Meaning be prepared that you might get the 'right' drumset for the moment but still switch to another kit/cymbal setup later once you start to determine what it is what you(r ears) want (regardless of the equipment your favourite drummers are using). But ultimately don't think too much about this for now.

hahaha,so humbling ,thank you for the uppercut and quick reply,the kit is a Meridian 6 pce and i thought i was going to be very happy,know i know,,cheers

+1. Correctamente.
That's why I just did exactly this. It's really pointless to have "helpful advise please" as a thread title - info content is close to zero. So next time take a few seconds to come up with a more specific thread title. (...)

Apart from the good advice you've already be given there's one aspect nobody can avoid - growing as a musician. This means your taste may vary from now, and your ears might develop so there might be stuff in the future (sonically/musically) that you like now and start to not like in the future, or vice versa. Meaning be prepared that you might get the 'right' drumset for the moment but still switch to another kit/cymbal setup later once you start to determine what it is what you(r ears) want (regardless of the equipment your favourite drummers are using). But ultimately don't think too much about this for now.

Haha when I saw this thread called "What kit to buy for a newbie? Advise please" I was actually about to link Grecko here, one to prove how often it comes up and too this thread might of got more attention, imagine my confusion when I've magically already posted here already.

Its strange though, I've never taken growing as a musician into account when I buy a drum kit, I've just gone, played it and if I've liked it bought it, although looking back to when I first started I've changed loads in terms of kit. When I started I wanted a kit with like 20 deep toms, and a million cymbals, now though, I'm happy with 4 half toms and 7 cymbals (incl. HH, ride and splash). I don't see the need for that much stuff any more, it looked sort of cool when I was 15, but the way I see it is that I can be just as if not more creative on a smaller kit.

EDIT: The meridian is Mapexs high intermediate range, they're fantastic, I would of killed to start on one.

hahaha,so humbling ,thank you for the uppercut and quick reply,the kit is a Meridian 6 pce and i thought i was going to be very happy,know i know,,cheers
You may still be very happy. The Meridian is a good kit, & certainly competitive with others in it's price range. Check the price your teacher has offered you with local pricing (Ebay, etc), & if it's fair, & you like the kit, & can afford it, then go for it. If the price is right, you can always sell it again later (& probably will).

6 months playing, don't get too hooked up on gear. As Arky says, you will change, & so will your requirements. Have fun with drumming. Concentrate on getting to a level where you can start to play with other musicians as soon as possible, as that's a whole other journey in itself, & will ultimately craft your style.

Good luck, & welcome to the forum.

Ah, BTW, things to avoid when starting out;

Incorrect spelling of drum related stuff (symbol, petal, etc)
Temptation to cover everything in tape.
Temptation to fill your bass drum with bedding.
Setting your kit up primarily to make it look cool.
Buying gear you don't absolutely need right now.
Getting frustrated because your kit doesn't sound like your favorite recordings.

There's more, but that's enough for now :)

Getting frustrated because your kit doesn't sound like your favorite recordings.

How about stay on the forum, become an active member and learn loads?

also if drummers start hitting "petals" then I'm sure they would be many more angry florists in the world, and I've never seen an angry florist.

I would think any well know brand kit would do. 22,12,12,16 and snare works well. Hihat , ride and 2 crashes. Stands and what not . The. Just set it up and play. You may have your teacher show you how to tune (or look up bob gatzen on YouTube ). And have fun !!!

Love the list. Come on drummers. We must endeavor to become more proficient at the art of spelling. Or at least the word "cymbal"!

When I'm exhausted, my spell check works out great, lol.

See, it corrected the word exhasted for me. Thanks spell check.

Dennis

my advice would be to find a used pearl export that is in good condition.
they're rock solid, have quite decent hardware and if you get a cheap one you will easily be able to sell it for close to the price you paid should you decide to upgrade/or quit.
good luck in your search sir :)

If you can find one used, but in good condition, go for the tama silverstar. All maple and all birch shells, great intermediate kit, even if you are a beginner.
Good luck my man!!!

If you can find one used, but in good condition, go for the tama silverstar. All maple and all birch shells, great intermediate kit, even if you are a beginner.
Good luck my man!!!

I was under the impression that the Tama Silverstar drums were just birch. Did this change recently to also encompass maple?

Dennis

Back