worth it?

price is an issue. I'm looking to spend about $600 on a shell pack, about $600 on cymbals, and about $300 on hardware.

I think it's gonna boil down to the silverstar or the mars.

I'm probably gonna get a mix of zildjian a and sabian aa cymbals, unless there are sweeter, warmer sounding pies in that price range. hats, a ride, and a crash or two. I was even considering a light pst7 pack. anyone play them and think they can hold their own against the a or aa series? I'm more concerned with tone than cut/projection. I might even get some stagg sh cymbals again.. I don't know yet.

Last edited:
Okay I think I get where bmeat is coming from. I do notice on a lot of forums when someone has an interest in getting a new kit people kinda just revert to telling you to keep your kit, that it is all about tuning, etc.

The thing is a lot of your drum sound is tuning and a lot of kits are not "worth it" depending on what you have and need, but I can also see how it may be frustrating to someone who is considering upgrading to be told that.

I had an Impearialstar and even tho it pretty much got the job done, I ended up getting a Silverstar and I COULD feel a big difference even tho I was told I would not.

I think both sides make sense. You should not get a DW (or other "Pro kit") kit unless you:
A. are pretty serious about music/drumming
B. have a s%^&load of money to burn

I would say buy a used Tama Silverstar, Yamaha Stage Custom, PDP Concept, Mapex Meridian, Gretsch Cat, Etc. I think "intermediate kits" are some of the best deals out there. I found that cheaper kits made from Poplar and or Mahogony (probably not great quality of either) simply don't sound as sweet or tune as easily as Maple or Birch shells and I totally believe that.

I say have the best of both worlds! You don't have to have a begginers kit if you feel you have gotten better or want to make that investment but you also don't have to have a super pro set up to sound great.

Meat.....you keep second guessing yourself.At a certain price point,any quality kit will give you good performance for the buck.The Catalina line uses several different woods like maple,Ash and birch.You need to play some drums my friend.We can't decide for you.I like the 14x24 bass drum in that rock kit.buy you just need to maybe visit the Long Island drum center,in Nyack...and play some drums.

Steve B

I went to sam ash and found a used superstar for $500 and a used catalina maple for $600*. ugh. I'm gonna sleep on it.

some guy played a marquee in front of me it sounded sweet. to be honest I think he just moved that catalina maple off the floor and the marquee on that day he was very excited lol

Last edited:
I've been doing some thinking and I might just go inspect the superstar and get it if it's in great condition. he pointed me to some other good options like a catalina maple. (I was gonna check everything out anyway, it's like a candy store lol). I also saw a vision in a very ugly green and a meridian, but the superstar is calling my name. I don't even know the sizes and I have a print up to buy it and a sabian aa pack LOL. I'm so confused with all these choices.

do they still make superstars? how old are they? are the better than silverstars?

Last edited:
I don't live in the US but don't you see 2nd hand Saturn shell sets going for $650 and there abouts?

I've been doing some thinking and I might just go inspect the superstar and get it if it's in great condition. he pointed me to some other good options like a catalina maple. (I was gonna check everything out anyway, it's like a candy store lol). I also saw a vision in a very ugly green and a meridian, but the superstar is calling my name. I don't even know the sizes and I have a print up to buy it and a sabian aa pack LOL. I'm so confused with all these choices.

do they still make superstars? how old are they? are the better than silverstars?

Tama superstars haven't been made for a while now,so what you're seing is called new old stock.Again,I'd stay away from cymbal packs and buy one at a time,and buy used.It is confusing,which is why,you have to actually tap on a few drums,and not rely on a drum forums opinion of what to buy.You already have enough info about certain kits to make an informed decision.

I f you want me to say....hey Meat,just buy the Silverstars....I'm not going to do that.You have to be happy with the choice,not me....

Steve B

do you guys think it's worth waiting till namm to buy? think anyone will release any new drums?"

I have it on good authority that there will be no new drum lines released at the next NAMM. The industry has decided to use NAMM as an opportunity to hold a tiddlywinks tournament. Not meant to be a snarky comment, just sharing a chuckle.

Dude....I used to play tiddlywinks too,but I was the NY state lawn dart champion for 3 years in a row.The training just got to be too much,so I gave it up,and just raised a crop of dental floss.:)

Steve B

This thread is absolutely amazing to me. This is essentially just a blog for bmeat, seeing as they're not listening to anything anyone has to say, and posting updates to show how little they're taking from the advice given.

And here I am feeding into it too.

*sigh*

-Jonathan

some of you guys are too funny (the ones that comment with no constructive criticism whatsoever).

thanks for the info about namm.

I just played a silverstar set and it sounded great! much beefier than I expected.

I also have some photos of the other drums. to the left of the merdian maple is a meridian birch for $500 and a catalina birch for $550. there is also a used ludwig signet 3 piece for $700. no sonor drums at the stores I went to.

what do you guys think about this superstar set? it still has the stock heads. what year is it from? I didn't play it yet because I didn't want to bother the employee to help me set it up because it was busy today.

catalina maple http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1081&pictureid=8597
meridian maplehttp://www.drummerworld.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1081&pictureid=8598
tama superstar http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1081&pictureid=8599
tama superstar http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1081&pictureid=8600

Last edited:
Back