Don't know what drum heads to buy, need help!

Luke Bennett

Hi,

I've been playing drums for 9 years now, and i've really just put any head onto my kits that I could get hold of, never really thinking of what heads to put on, or when to change them, now as i'm older, I realise changing the drum heads is a massive choice, and one that needs to be changed often like guitarists change their strings. The only thing is, I do not really know what i'm buying. So i'm asking you guys for some advice,

I like to play all sorts of styles on my drums, so would like some versatile drum heads, the styles really vary from rock, to reggae and soul, to jazz, and latin styles, there are more, basically anything I am working on at the time, If I was to have any preferences to my drum sound it would be punchy, clear and defined, like gospel drummers kits, I quite like that sound, especially as I play a lot of rock and pop stuff. Majority of the time I am playing ska though in my ska band, and I realise they have more of a trashy sort of feel, so you can see that the sound I am looking for is quite a versatile sound.

Some recommendations of good versatile heads would be good, or if not, maybe some of your favourite heads and why, or heads that are good for particular genres of music for example, that way, I could always change heads depending on the gig.

Hope you guys can help, and I have given enough information,

Thanks very much,

Luke

If you want versatile, punchy clear and defined...don't buy anything premuffled. (for the versatility part) That way you can muffle as needed or play wide open. Punchy, clear and defined sound to me like a clear 2 ply head over a clear 1 ply 10 mil head. With tuning and muffling (or not) you can get just about any tone you are after.

If you want versatile, punchy clear and defined...don't buy anything premuffled. (for the versatility part) That way you can muffle as needed or play wide open. Punchy, clear and defined sound to me like a clear 2 ply head over a clear 1 ply 10 mil head. With tuning and muffling (or not) you can get just about any tone you are after.

^ Exactly. Just a good 2 ply over a good 1 ply, and you can throw any tuning you want at it. I use Evans G2 over G1 for my toms.

As for a snare head, you'll want a single ply coated batter over a thin single ply snare side. Right now, I'm using a G12 over a Hazy 300. A G1 might work better for you.

For a kick head, something with a removable dampening system would be good, so you can get that tight punch when you need it, or take it off and get that open jazz tone. I used an Evans EMAD 2.

For the record, I'm in the same boat as you. One day I'll play some jazz tunes, the next, I'll be playing with a ska or a punk band. I've recently been studying latin and afro-cuban grooves. This combination delivers wonderfully in all aspects. It has never let me down.

The Evens site has some pretty decent sound clips of their different heads. They also have a graph that shows attack, sustain, tone and durability. (I keep an old gretsch entry level kit at a friends house for jamming and I'm constantly impressed with how good the EC2's that are on it can make it sound.) They're "warm" and "round" and do well with a variety of musical styles.

I would also try to find the sound your looking for on a record and try to track down the heads that were being played, are they double ply, single, coated...? weigh that against shell type and it can be a decent starting point.

Don't ignore the reso's

Emperor over Ambassador resos = G2 over Genera Reso = Response 2 over Classic Clears

All, or any combination of 2-ply over 1-ply will sound great.

Back