The best 13" Snare?

Bimlyjim

I'm stressing over the decision of what snare to buy.

I've decided I deffinatly want a 13" snare however. 6.5 or 7 inch depth. I also think wood is the best way to go, as i don't want a lot of overtone.

The two snares that have caught my eye the most are
The Tama Sound lab project G Maple
and
The mapex black panther blaster (haven't actually played this one before).

I play a lot of rock, but i also like hip hop. I need a powerful but controllable snare.
If i purely played rock i think i'd get something like the TAMA SLP Power Maple, but as it's a 14, and it wouldn't be great for hip hop, I've decided to continue pursuing something else.

Can anyone suggest some great 13" snares and also tell me what they think of the 2 i have already mentioned?

Thanks to anyone that comments.

On the higher end would be the Sonor Benny Greb or Artist beech ( a tad shallower than you specified but the 27ply makeup will recoup the volume/crack). You may also consider a Yamaha MCA in 13". You can usually find those for under or around the $300 range.

Brady jarrah block 13 x 7

My favourite but they're not cheap!

I played a pearl reference 13x6.5 on the weekend, it's 20 ply with die cast hoops, really nice looking and sounding drum. I haven't tried the others you've mentioned but I have an Akira Jimbo snare and I can only say good things about it. Wood hoops are not for everybody though.

Wood:
Yamaha Maple Custom Sensitive 13x6,5 (beats the Jordan and normal MC by far)

Steel:
Yamaha Anniversary 13x6,5 Brass Phoenix snare.

Most versatile sizes ever.

I have a 14x6,5 and a 14x5,5 too but the 13'' is the most used.

For the rimsclicks I use the Russ Miller Groove Wedge.

The CRUSH Acrylic 13" x7" Sounds great.

I'm getting one very soon!

The Blaster is very nice, one I'd definitely like to have in my collection. It has quite a distinct voice. Only downside is that the black chrome plating on the hoops will start to wear after a while.

[edited for possibly bad info...]

Last edited:
Reactions: Jml
For custom: Acoutin Custom Copper / Koa 6.5x13

For production: Yamaha Musashi Oak 6.5x13

Calling something "best" doesn't fly but these are my two favorite 13's. for now.

Attachments

• Best 13s.jpg
    Best 13s.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 1,603
I use a Blaster for my main snare and love it. IMO, this snare likes to be tuned up high to find its voice. I don't really like it at lower tunings ( could be my current head selection though ). For that i use my 68' Supra. You could also look at the Ludwig Black magic ( maybe better suited for rock ) or the Mapex Cherry Bomb. The mapex is definitely unique sounding and would be well suited for hip hop. It can handle lower tunings for rock if that is what you desire but may not project as well as the Ludwig due to its shallower depth. Both are very affordable though. The Yamaha Mushashi is a great drum and barely lost out to the Blaster when I was looking for a 13. You can find these reaaly cheap if you look around ebay and craigslist.

Rather than suggesting specific drum brands/models, I thought I'd chime in with a bit of advice/my opinion. If you're considering a 13" snare, then IMO, it should sound quite different to a 14" snare. Ensure that it's construction is focussed on it's size, & seeks to accentuate that. This will offer character/individuality. I see/hear many 13" snares that try too hard to encompass the abilities of a 14" snare. I feel that takes away from the appeal of going for a 13" snare in the first place.

Good luck with your search :)

First of all, that's incredible,
Second of all, Are you sure that's a blaster? I looks like a 14 to me. Although that may just be my bad eye site.
If it is the blaster it does sound fantastic i must say...
TBH, that snare sounded choked, bland, & totally lifeless to me (& I'm listening through good reference cans). That said, the whole kit sound is very processed, so it's difficult to know what you're actually listening to.

TBH, that snare sounded choked, bland, & totally lifeless to me (& I'm listening through good reference cans). That said, the whole kit sound is very processed, so it's difficult to know what you're actually listening to.

That's fair.
Tbh though, It's still not what i want. There's a lot of cracking rock snares out there, but I really need once that can be hip hop as well, you know, just gimmie some solid back beats. I like higher pitch, i like no overtone and i don't like dry, a quick snappy crack that's loud and has some body behind it. The Tama SLP G Maple was nice, VERY nice, but I just wanted to see if i could find some equal with a bit more rock in there.

Also my kit is pretty big. I got a 13x9 16x16 and 18x18 Toms, So the toms are pretty deep, I'm worried the Tama won't fit when i go into full kit rock mode.

That's fair.
Tbh though, It's still not what i want. There's a lot of cracking rock snares out there, but I really need once that can be hip hop as well, you know, just gimmie some solid back beats. I like higher pitch, i like no overtone, a quick snappy crack that's loud and has some body behind it. The Tama SLP G Maple was nice, VERY nice, but I just wanted to see if i could find some equal with a bit more rock in there.

It entirely depends on your budget. If your budget is under £300 then you'd do well with a Yamaha Musashi. If you have over £500 there are an awful lot of fantastic custom options out there.

First of all, that's incredible,
Second of all, Are you sure that's a blaster? I looks like a 14 to me. Although that may just be my bad eye site.
If it is the blaster it does sound fantastic i must say...

Actually, I may be wrong on that one. My friend who owns a Blaster, bought it based on a video of Aquiles, I thought that was the video because it looks like the blaster, but it may be something else. Either way, his drum sounds very much like that one, minus all the processing. I'm usually the one who tunes it for him.

Pearl Maple shell PIccolo 13x3 All Maple Shell. You can find them for around $80 used on music go round.com. Tune it to not quite tabletop tight and there's your funk,hip hop sound.
Then when you're ready to rock, put a drum key to the lug just under your snare hand and de tune it a bit and she'll fatten up for you real good.

Back