How Much Trouble Would Playing Drums W/o Asking Cause

Fireblazer

Hey,

How much trouble would I get in for playing the drums in the worship center at my church. I know this probably varies from place to place but is it usually acceptable to play someone's kit w/o asking? If not, how much trouble am I looking at; like a strong warning or having to buy a new $5k kit?

Basically, what would happen if I played drums w/o asking?

Thanks,
Fireblazer

Depends on whos' kit it is I guess.

If it were mine, I'd take serious issue with you (but then again, my kit wouldn't be found within bulls roar of a worship centre either)....others may not be nearly as anal.

Play it safe my friend....ask.

Consider this......would you drive someone's car, enter someone's house, wear someone's clothes etc etc, without asking?.....why should someone's drum kit be any different?

Last edited:
Hey,

How much trouble would I get in for playing the drums in the worship center at my church. I know this probably varies from place to place but is it usually acceptable to play someone's kit w/o asking? If not, how much trouble am I looking at; like a strong warning or having to buy a new $5k kit?

Basically, what would happen if I played drums w/o asking?

Thanks,
Fireblazer

Always ask first! Its only polite, and some people will really get furious if you whack away at their drums without permission. Heaven help you if you split a head, crack a cymbal, etc.

If you know how to play, be polite and ask. I'll let anyone play my kit as long as i know they know how to play and won't abuse it. Non drummers tend to just get behind the kit and start wailing away at everything and that really upsets me, especially if it's my kit.

Easy answer....Always Ask. Look at it this way, would you pick up somebody's tenor sax and start to play it without asking? If you played trumpet would you like someone to walk over and start playing your horn. Same thing with drums. Ask before you touch.

This reminds me of when my Dad busts into my room and starts playing my kit. Freakin' gets on my nerves, because he always plays an out of time surf beat and then goes into an over the top solo, all with no technique. He's like the manifestation of crappy drumming! Also, he practically puts all his weight into using the kick pedal so I am nervous that he is going to break the head.

Not so long ago we went to Guitar Center and I asked him to test out this snare so i could hear it from afar. He repeats the damn surf beat and suddenly starts bashing on everything BUT the snare that I was trying to carefully listen to. I had to yell at him to tell him that what he had done was enough, it was extremely embarrassing.

It's common courtesy to always ask permission - it shows respect.

This reminds me of when my Dad busts into my room and starts playing my kit. Freakin' gets on my nerves, because he always plays an out of time surf beat and then goes into an over the top solo, all with no technique. He's like the manifestation of crappy drumming! Also, he practically puts all his weight into using the kick pedal so I am nervous that he is going to break the head.

Not so long ago we went to Guitar Center and I asked him to test out this snare so i could hear it from afar. He repeats the damn surf beat and suddenly starts bashing on everything BUT the snare that I was trying to carefully listen to. I had to yell at him to tell him that what he had done was enough, it was extremely embarrassing.

Try not to be so hard on your dad. He's probably having a great time at your expense. He most likely deserves it!

Hey,

Thanks for all your help. I guess I figured that since people don't take em home and put them in nice hard cases they are more like furniture. Anyway, at least I only sound like in ignorant idiot here :)

Thanks,
Fireblazer

Asking will probably work in your favour!

If someone took upon themselves to use my kit without asking I'd never let them near it again if I caught them!

I someone asked me if tehy could use it, I'd want to watch and make sure they were competant and feel they wouldn't damage the kit and in which case I'd gladly let them use it.

If they had no epxerience and were just crashing about wildly no knowing what they were doing I'd probably offer them some help and see if they wanted to learn but also point out tha the wat they were playing would damage the kit and no one would ever let them use their kit if they played like that.
I can only see asking as a win, win situation, if its an expensive kit and the guys source of income he may not want it used and that's his perogative but if that were the case I'd question why he was leaving it there!

You sure it's not a church owned kit, in which case they may be more than happy for you to use it ?

Always ask. I have drummed for several churches over the years, and the prevailing attitude seems to be almost what you just said - that the drums in the church are furniture rather than musical instruments. I have seen a lot of very sad behavior towards drums in churches, and it is infuriating.

When something breaks on a church drumset (heads, cymbals, pedals, even sticks), it is not free to replace it. It costs someone in the church money - usually the drummer, but often the church pays for it with money that could have been used for someone's needs, like food or clothing. And the drums might not belong to the church - they might be someone's personal kit.

I'm currently playing at a church with a pretty large music department budget, and I was the one who sold a bunch of their old equipment and used the money to buy a drumset that's worth about $2500 all told. I would be somewhat upset to find someone playing it without permission; I would go ballistic if they're whaling away on it like Travis Barker trying to put out a drumset fire with his sticks.

Last night we had practice (non church related). Our singer/ guitarist got out to our studio ealier in the day with a couple of buddys of his from out-of-town. He was going to help them do some recordings.
When I got there last night, I found my drum set uncovered, slightly re-arranged and mics set up on it that weren't there before. I was pretty upset. I mean, I don't know these guys from Adam and no one ever asked my permission! I bit my tongue (although I did mention my discontent with the bassist during a break) and got through the practice.
Because they (singer and buddy's) were staying the night at the studio last night after practice to finish some recordings, I figured I'd take my cymbals home for their "6 month polish".
I didn't say anything last night as not to embarrass my singer in front of his friends (although, in hindsight that would have probably been the best thing I could have done), but he has an ear full coming from me very soon.
Bottom line- ask permission!

Back