For Your Yamaha Recording Customs (toms only)...

porcaro

I've been rocking Emperor Clear batter and Ambassador Clear reso...it sounds fine to me. What are you using? It's impossible to make a birch drum sound like a maple...but this combo seems to make them sing pretty well. Looking for other ideas from other YRC players, or birch drum users.

That's the combo I'm using on my Rogers XP-8's right now. On any hi-end shell (I'm a Remo guy), I've found Ambassador, Controlled Sound, Powerstroke 3, and Emperor heads batter, to be my favs. I almost always use Ambassador heads reso. You could probably "fool" most people into thinking you had maple shells simply by going to coated heads, batter and reso.

I have a set of RC and keep experimenting. Currently I have the Evans EC1 Coated on top and the G1 clear on the bottom. They don't sound as thick as say the Emperors but that's to be expected since they are single ply. That being said, they do sou nd very nice and open.

Try using single ply heads the nextr time. See what you think.

If you want to warm them up a bit try a coated batter with the clear ambassador reso, the coating will add warmth to the sound!

I second what has already been said-

Coated emps batter and clear resos-

I currently have coated on all my toms apart from my 10.

An experiment I dont like and will be changed very soon. The coated gives my drums a nice deep - for want of a better word warm booming sound- compared to a higher pop that the clear gives.

This could just be my ears? I guess if you have all the toms the same it wont be as noticable as I am finding it at the moment

Back