Gretsch Round Badge Specs - Please!

wsabol

Gold Member
Hey guys, I want to replicate the nice Gretsch Round Badge sound on a new kit. So I need to now from all you guys with Round Badge knowledge what the specs are.

- Sizes
- # of lugs
- # of plys
- Thickness of shells (mm)
- Reinforcement rings?
- Number/placement of Air holes
- Bearing edge description
- Type/Size of hoop (depth of bass drum hoop too)

I've been searching and searching for this info, and surprisingly it isn't anywhere. I know it would be so easy to figure out if I could just get my hands on one and inspect it. Thank you all so much in advance.

If you go to www.gretschdrums.com at the top of the home page is a drop down box that says History. In there you can find old catalogs which may help you. There is also a badge timeline to pinpoint the age you may need.

If you study vintage drums you will find that most of them are three ply shell drums.
Mahogany with mystery wood (poplar) in between.
In the late 50s, 6 ply became the norm.
Again, Mahogany with layers of mystery wood (poplar) in between. Thicker shells.

Number of lugs; A 14 inch snare had 10 per head.
Rack tom 6, Floor tom 8.
Drums had one vent hole with internal adjustable mufflers.

Bearing edges were round for the most part.

Thin shell 3 ply drums were about 3mm thick.
6 ply shells were thicker, 5 to 7 mm.

Don't forget about the reinforcement rings. These were there to help keep the shell round. The rings did make a slight difference in the sound of the drum.

Last edited:
By the way, The famous Gretsch Silver Sealer is nothing more than paint that you can buy anywhere!
The same goes for many other paint jobs on the inside of drums.
Some drums were painted with a thick spotted paint product that was used to paint the interior of automobile trunks, or "boots" for our English friends.

Last edited:
The hardest part about all this ... is gonna be .... the drum shell. The shell Gretsch used was a Jasper shell, maple/gum/maple when the Famous "That Gretsch Sound" was carved into history.​
For a while, Fibes owned Jasper, and so the Jasper shell was available by buying a Fibes kit.​
Currently, I don't think anyone is making a maple/gum/maple shell, ..... why not just buy a real Gretsch round badge kit?​

I think that it is also important to recognize the fact that the Jasper shells that were made for Gretsch Roundies were made to Grestch specs.
I have heard other drums with Jasper shells such as Fibes and they do not sound the same.

Gretsch was an entire package of success that also involved other things like cast hoops,etc.

I agree, Just buy a Round Badge kit, It will be easier and cheaper in the long run.

Thanks for the comments.. I looked at the vintage catalogs. Pretty sweet stuff, thanks for the link.

I have thought about buying a Round Badge kit, but I have my reservations. This will be my first "high end" kit, so I want it to be versatile... The love that Gretsch sound, and the old drums sound fantastic, however I feel it'll always be a crap shoot when purchasing old drums: maintenance could be a nightmare, you never know how well they were taken care of, and its hard finding a complete set or drums. Also old drums also have old technology that, I agree were necessary, but now I find undesirable (internal muffling, reinforcement rings...) or there is simply better equipment out today (tom mounting system, floor tom legs..etc).

My actual plan is to buying some keller shells, cut my own Gretsch style bearing edges, add some authenitic vintage hardware to yield some great sounding drums, the sizes/finish I like... it'll be fun, easy, and just as cheap as buying a Round badge shell pack.

My actual plan is to buying some keller shells, cut my own Gretsch style bearing edges, add some authenitic vintage hardware to yield some great sounding drums, the sizes/finish I like... it'll be fun, easy, and just as cheap as buying a Round badge shell pack.

This seems backwards to me. Usually, it's the older hardware that gives people problems or wears out over time. Plus, the wood being aged 50+ years is a service you can't have Keller replicate for you. Buying the classic shells and putting newer hardware on it would give you a more reliable kit, in my opinion. Not that the Gretsch hardware was notorious for being bad or anything. If the edges of the shell are choppy, you can have them recut, but there are plenty of good shells out there that it shouldn't be an issue.

I'd go for the real deal, if you want that sound. Oh, and it's PLENTY versatile...

Athough Jasper isn't around you can come close to the Gretsch sound with the following:
Keller 6 ply maple shells
outside round over on the toms
outside round over with a 30* inside cut snare and kick
Die cast hoops BTW Gretsch 12" is 5 lug
no air vent on the toms
lugs placed in a postion closer to the bearing edge to use a shorter tension rods
Rustoleum aluminum paint on the interiors
Aquarian Modern vintage heads
The kit will sound good but no Gretsch Mojo.

I've got a Jasper shelled Camco kit from 1966. It sounds different from the Jasper shelled Gretsch kits from the same year. Its been a while since I've been able to inspect a Gretsch shell from that era. My Camco shells are maple-gumwood-maple-maple-gumwood-maple.

The one thing I would say about the Gretsch round badge drums is that their hardware and everything else was a cut above the Ludwig, Slingerland and Rogers sets being sold at the time. They are seen as a more 'elite' set. Most of the Gretsch sets I've played from that era still have hardware that is functioning excellently. Obviously inspect before you buy, but if I was looking for the Gretsch round badge sound I would just buy some.

Alternatively, I know that Gretsch sold a Jasper shelled kit in the early 2000's from shells they still had left. I've also heard that they still have a stockpile of the shells and will make you a custom set from them. I'd think that would be fairly expensive.

Alright guys!!! you talked me into it. I'm going to get me some 3 ply round badges if its the last thing I do! 12-14-18 will do the trick. haha, YES!

To scratch my drum making itch, I'll going to refurbish my practice kit. Percussion Plus, probably poplar shells. I'll put on some of the proposed Gretsch bearing edges and redo the finish.. probably put some RIMS on there. It'll be nice enough to go gigging and I won't look like a fool.

Thanks for all the help guys

Last edited:
Don't forget the Linen between the shell and wrap as well if you are looking for a true Round Badge kit, also no airholes in the toms.

Back