It Might Get Loud

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
I just finished watching this documentary with Jimmy Page, The Edge, and Jack White. I'm neither a guitar fancier nor a movie critic but found this very informative and entertaining. The movie has to with each of their histories with playing the guitar and their approach to music and how the guitar fits in. Three generations of guitar music and playing with a lot of dialogue and insight into music, writing, and playing. If you get the chance check it out. As a bonus you will even get the opportunity to see Meg White playing the drums.

The movie is great, and as somebody who has always loved the guitar I really appreciated how informative it was.

One of my bands actually had to fire a guitarist who became obsessed with the Jack White "tone that is so bad it almost good." It got to the point where the stuff he was writing and playing sounded so bad we had to have a band intervention. He told us that after watching that movie he realized that he wanted to find his own sound that was different from everybody elses and he likes White's ideas on guitar tone. He refused to compromise when we told him how shitty we thought it sounded, so we fired him.

I hope he found his own sound.

What resonated most with me after watching this movie was how much more I respected Jack White.

The other guys had their fancy rigs and sounds dialed in just right, White strings up a piece of wire between 2 nails and lets the music flow through him.

3 really different approaches to music, was great insight into where they all come from musically.

I saw this earlier this year and was caught off guard by how good it was. I rented it with tempered expectations but found it really interesting and informative.

I saw it a few months ago on Netflix. I enjoyed it too. Jimmy Page is starting to look a little scary/evil though. Like an old master ninja, or a Bond villian, or something.

I'll have to watch this at some point. I thought they were slightly odd choices for a film like this...Jimmy Page is obviously a big name...the Edge similarly so, but not as much for being a guitarist as for being a member of U2...and then there's Jack White, who, whatever his merits (many and varied, I'm sure), is surely not in the same category as either of them? Or was that the point?

When you see all of the equipment, pedals and amps etc. that Edge uses you will be shocked. It is all contained in one huge box that is wheeled out on the stage and looks more like its own recording studio. quite amazing.

I don't understand why they got The Edge in this movie, that guy is a clown.
They should have gotten Slash or David Gilmour or Pete Townshend instead, now that would have been something

The guitarist in our band was telling us to watch this movie. I'll have to get a hold of it and watch.

They should have gotten Slash or David Gilmour or Pete Townshend instead, now that would have been something

I think Edge offers more of a contrast in playing styles than the other guys you mentioned - I would have liked to have seen Slash in place of Mr. Page, though.

Great flick. Thoroughly enjoyed seeing the differing approaches to the instrument. The diversity of the three muso's is what made it for me. I thought they were odd choices to group together when I first heard about the film. After seeing it, I was glad for the contrast.

Excellent viewing for anyone who hasn't seen it.

I would have liked to have seen Slash in place of Mr. Page, though.

Utter blasphemy!

I'm a fan of Slash, no doubt......but this is JIMMY PAGE, man!! :)

I finally watched this last night.

I'll have to watch this at some point. I thought they were slightly odd choices for a film like this...Jimmy Page is obviously a big name...the Edge similarly so, but not as much for being a guitarist as for being a member of U2...and then there's Jack White, who, whatever his merits (many and varied, I'm sure), is surely not in the same category as either of them? Or was that the point?

I think that was the point. Page is old enough to be The Edge's father, and the Edge is old enough to be White's father. 3 different generations, 3 completely different takes on the same instrument.

Page, the session guitarists who went looking for more in life.
The Edge, they guy who admits he's not the most talent, but has made a career out of creating unique sonic textures.
White, the youngster who attempts to buck all the trends of his generation and loves retro.

Had they gone for three more typical guitarists, it might have been far more interesting to guitar players, but would have had less appeal to the non-musician. If they got three noted solo-ists, the movie could have quickly ended up a wank fest, which would just make it more of a guitar instructional video instead of a documentary on music.

And I disagree on the Edge. He is very unique, and a huge influence/hero of mine.

What resonated most with me after watching this movie was how much more I respected Jack White.

The other guys had their fancy rigs and sounds dialed in just right, White strings up a piece of wire between 2 nails and lets the music flow through him.

3 really different approaches to music, was great insight into where they all come from musically.

I admit when I first heard of this movie, I was totally turned off from seeing it because of White being included. I can NOT stand the White Stripes and don't get them at all. But after seeing the movie, I agree, I have to respect the hell out of him. I never knew he was that talented under it all. And him pulling out old blues records, commenting that it doesn't matter if it's out of tune and not in time, it's real. That was just so, yeah! Wow.

But I still won't be listening to any White Stripes any time soon.

Overall, there so many interesting little comments.
Page discussing how he was becoming a successful studio musician, but realized he was playing musak.

The Edge commenting on how if Larry hadn't posted that note (forming a band) he might be in another line of work.

White and his thrift store guitar.

I was also highly amused at the Edge trying to teach the other two "I Will Follow" and Page kept asking "are you sure?"

Back