Triggers

CptHowdy

Im looking to buy a bass drum trigger, money isn't what im worried about, im concerned with quality and lifetime playability for the trigger.

So what im asking is, should i get the Ddrum bass trigger, or the Roland bass trigger?

Im going to be using the alesis dm5 module.

I have the same module as well i use DDrum pro acoustic triggers, i have been thinking of buying Roland's just to test them out, both triggers are good anyways. The only difference is the price and the design the only thing is that you have to be carefull jow you place the DDrums since the Piezo is kind of delicate but resistant so i would go with which ever.

Both work great!

you have to be carefull jow you place the DDrums since the Piezo is kind of delicate but resistant so i would go with which ever.

Well ive been working with piezo's for about 3 years no, i got a lot of them laying around as well, and electronics are a pretty easy fix usually. But i was just skeptical about the ddrum trigger because of the reviews i have read. Mostly saying that they will give out after 2 or 3 months, and i dont really need that happening in the middle of a show, but i guess you take the chance with any trigger.

Also, where is a good place to place the trigger?

We got 1 use from the first bass drum DDrum Pro Trigger and 3 or 4 out of the replacement. The third the dealer gave us is still in use after 8 or 10 shows but clearly its reliability is in question. Both failures were where the wire enters the piezo pad coming loose.
Several drummers he plays with use the Roland and none we have spoke to have had reliability issues. Miss triggers yes but they seem to be hold up.
We’ll be replacing the DDrum with the Roland.

Never used the DM5 module but he uses the DM4 and it’s been rock solid and has some sounds that he is looking for. We put an EQ in the rack with the module so we can customize the sample.

Well ive been working with piezo's for about 3 years no, i got a lot of them laying around as well, and electronics are a pretty easy fix usually. But i was just skeptical about the ddrum trigger because of the reviews i have read. Mostly saying that they will give out after 2 or 3 months, and i dont really need that happening in the middle of a show, but i guess you take the chance with any trigger.

Also, where is a good place to place the trigger?

Ok good, honestly some drummers have had issues with the DD´s but for others it has work out great, the only bad part is the wires outside of the trigger box and the piezo piece conected to them where you can clearly see all the wires and other connections, i would go with the Roland´s since they have a different design and good manufacturing as well thr sendor looks more secure, i just baught the DD´s to prove myself personally how they are able to perform, once you get all your settings setup as per comfort they work great, but you also have to be carefull with mufling, and double triggering.

I always put the trigger where ever is more closer to the head´s heavy vibration, one time i put it on top of my 20X18 kick drum and it worked awesome with just a pillow and some towels inside for mufling, now i have a 22x18 kick which was a pain in the ass at the beginning due to the double triggering that was being produce because of the miss mufling, i have to basically put a whole bet inside of the kick to make it sound right and go over all settings for days until i got it right.

Is there any particular bass head that works great with them? im using an evans emad and i dont think that a you could place a trigger on it because of the dampening ring, maybe im mistaken?

Is there any particular bass head that works great with them? im using an evans emad and i dont think that a you could place a trigger on it because of the dampening ring, maybe im mistaken?

I have never tried the emad's, and yes the dampening rings can give you a hard time when your setting up the decay, to eliminate doble triggering plus working with the Noise, Xtalk and all the other settings you have to play around with.

I have a PS3 head on my Pearl 20x18 kick, the first time tried the triggers on it they worked flawlessly, once i switched to a Evands EQ3 that i have on my PDP 22x18 kick, the head has some thick dampening rings, so i had to muffle the kick drum with tons of pillows and blankets and then re adjust the settings on the module again.

Get a PS3 or Aquarian Super kick 3, i've seen the work great and they have all the muffleing needed on the rings so it would be easier to work on the modules settings.

Back