Aydee's sold his soul...

aydee

Platinum Member
The future looks ominous. More days to be spent on the 29th floor of a Manhattan apartment.

The Yammie Maples will now be the occasional mistress. My 18" bass drum conversion for a jungle/jazz kit will have to wait...as will its partner-to-be, the Lenny White Istanbul ride cymbal.

In the meantime, I done what any sensible guy in my shoes would do...

I've ordered a Roland TD-KX all mesh e-kit!

What do you think?

Do any of you play both acoustic & E?

What IYO is the difference? Do you use lighter sticks for the E?? Is it a whole different ball game?

Any reviews of this product would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

(with disdain) Reviews?! Why? You've already ordered the blankedy blank thing! Where did you get it? I hear there are great deals on E-kits at satanplayselectronicdrums.com. Everythings $666.00. So I already know how much you paid. Enjoy your new kit, I hope it's worth it. When your Yammies spontaneously combust don't come to us asking why.

Seriously, that's an awesome compromise for your situation. I've hit, (not played mind you - so my soul is still intact) the mesh pads vs. rubber pads, and they feel miles better. I think, given your plight, it was the right move. Hope you enjoy. And we'll still want pics btw...

Thanks for the clip, B... boy if only I could do Johnny's single handed roll ( might be wild on an e-kit, with a differently assigned sound for the rim click )

TPT, your evil eye on my Yammies wont stop me! A man's gotta do what a mans..etc etc

A drum tech friend ordered it for me. Not to sure from where. The price is about right.
Blind Faith. He know his beans, whereas I'm an idiot on the Estuff.
He thought this best suited my purpose, which was to practice, and lay down some demo tracks on my comp with musicians I'm working with.

Got to wait about a week for pics.

Last year, a great deal was presented to me and I just had to take it. It was a bulk sale which included a td10 module with pd 120 dual trigger toms and all the fixings including rack. It was a sick deal which I couldn't pass up, thinkin' that if I don't like it I could easily double my money selling everything off individually. Well at first I was having a blast, loved the fact that the kit made almost zero noise etc..was exploring the module and its gazillion different sounds, but after a couple of weeks I got bored. I don't want to discourage you, but I didn't dig the e-kit. I couldn't feel the groove and the dynamics were just not there for me (try a buzz roll).
Now, if I didn't have a choice in the matter ie: lived somewhere that had noise bylaws. I would of kept for one reason, that edrums are better than nodrums.
good luck.

(with disdain) Reviews?! Why? You've already ordered the blankedy blank thing! Where did you get it? I hear there are great deals on E-kits at satanplayselectronicdrums.com. Everythings $666.00. So I already know how much you paid. Enjoy your new kit, I hope it's worth it. When your Yammies spontaneously combust don't come to us asking why.

Seriously, that's an awesome compromise for your situation. I've hit, (not played mind you - so my soul is still intact) the mesh pads vs. rubber pads, and they feel miles better. I think, given your plight, it was the right move. Hope you enjoy. And we'll still want pics btw...

I feel so dumb. I actually went to that website. :(

An e-kit will serve you just fine for practising, , especially with mesh heads. And it has some big advantages over acoustic kits when you play in a small venue. They just don't look half as manly as a set of acoustic drums.

Good luck with them! Post pics when you get them.

Mesh pads are cool.

I do find myself wanting to use lighter sticks with e-drums.

There is a bit of adjustment, as all the pads tend to be smaller the most of your toms.

But it's a lot of fun too!

You'll be plenty happy with any of the mesh head kits. You might want to look into some additional software though as the electronic sounds will begin to grow tiresome after about an hour of playing.

Even the high-quality Roland sounds still sound really fake to me. There are lots of options for getting real acoustic sounds though rather than modeled ones.

Aydee, I guess you are right, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do...I do hope that you enjoy it and find great use in that...personally have never touched them. Post when you get the time.

Good Luck,

JIM

Welcome to the dark side. Yes, you got a whole new ballgame. But nothing to worry about. I'm sure you'll adapt fine. Roland make an excellent product(s). Worse case senario. "Better to play an e-kit than no kit at all" Best case. "I like this". Nod to Bernhard, the Johnny Rabb stuff is totally "off the hook". I've seen the cat now, do his thing live 3 or 4 times at NAMM, simply unbeliable. Since you're in New York, check out Tony Verderosa (Yamaha man living in the Big Apple).

Last edited:
Aydee.
Ya - the choices are hard sometimes. But, eDrums are a lot of fun. I've been playing around on a number of edrum set-up over the past few years....thinking about getting some too. The Yamaha use real drums for their samples whereas Rolands are electronic. The Rolands still sound pretty amazing. Whatever ekit you end up with you're going to have a lot of fun.

Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Thanks all you guys, will post pix n sounds when its up n running.

And will be hitting up Garvin & Harry for tech support.

Gmrakich, gimme a plan : )

I used one when I was in the same predicament as you. It was a Roland with the mesh heads and a TD-8 brain. It's quite fun when you first get it but the novelty quickly wore off. My main gripe was that while you can hear the music you can't feel it. It's not moving any air. The other thing was that every strike sounds clean and perfect unlike an acoustic set. Not dynamically as fun to play.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed having it. Tons of cool features. It was better than nothing and it served me well for 6 months. I bought it used and sold it to the bassist in LifeHouse for $100 less than I bought it for. (Some guy in a band I like came to my house and gave me money LOL). I'd buy another one if I lost my lockout space.

Also, the hi hat totally flippin blows. Use your acoustic one if you can.

Like has been mentioned above the one thing that will take getting used to is the drums pretty much all being the same size ( I think they are 12" ) but the mesh does give you a more "realistic" drum feel compared to the rubber pads. The cool thing is all the sound possibilities you will now have and experimenting with assigning them or layering them with other sounds. So a whole new world there is opened up. I'd love to be able to get one but the wallet just says it's not going to happen! :-(

The other thing was that every strike sounds clean and perfect unlike an acoustic set. Not dynamically as fun to play....
Also, the hi hat totally flippin blows. Use your acoustic one if you can.

These are reasons why acoustic players loose interest in e-kits. I agree with these sentiments, but it also spurned me to discover things like how to map my hihat pedal differently and also how to find true acoustic samples that do have humanized dynamic ranges.

Even the TD-20, the top end Roland kit has essentially the same robotic feel in terms of sound. The benefit of the mesh head kits come from the pads. It doesn't matter which module you use. In my mind, as an acoustic kit player, you should plan on using that module only as an interface for external software. I have aTD-3, absolutely bottom end module, and stupid rubber pads which feel totally foreign, but the sounds I trigger are awesome and I would have no qualms about playing them live (provided I had a sub).

In the everlasting words of Drew Barrymore in E.T.... They're here!

set em up.. figuring them out.....they're cool but..........." overwhelming".

and fun.. need a good amp, though ( whats a good sound for this rig? ).. any ideas where to go from here...where to get more sounds, better hi-ha action...( whoa.. the hat needs help! )

Any good headphone reccos?

Garvin, Harry.. help!

Need to get my dw 5000s going with this...

drum case 1.jpg
drm case 2.jpg
stand 1.jpg
stand 2.jpg
mesh drm.jpg
set up.jpg
set up 2.jpg
td 9.jpg
both kits.jpg

Last edited:

LMBO!!!

Good choice in all seriousness. For those of us who are the huddled masses dwelling in apartments, e-kits are the next best thing. the Roland Vseries kits are really very nice btw.
I have used one do record a complete cd for a gospel band a couple years back and have to say that they were very cool and user friendly. The one I used was the TD-20 which is like 5k!

I have got my beautiful Gretsch Purewoods set up and staring at me longingly! Its tough not being able to play when you want to.

Back