A classic disco cover video

Nice! I also play this song on a regular basis.
Its can hard to hit the exact groove as there is also a shaker going on on the original recording that blends very well with the hats.
The ride sounds really good - what is it?

I mean this in the kindest way. You did a fine job, but you really have to loosen up a bit if you're going to play that song! It needs to be dripping with swagger. We should see you strutting even from the kit! If you're getting bored, you're not doing it right.

Also, next time I expect you to be wearing a leisure suit.

This is James's favourite song, so much so that he sent me a PM with a link to this thread, bless him.

You've made his day!

Thanks for the comments everyone!

I'm going to completely disagree with Dr_Watso, but thanks for giving me enough attention to comment in the first place.

So, no leisure suit?

So, no leisure suit?

That I'm totally into. I'm thinking linen is the way to go. White with a purple shirt and butterfly collar. I think that's what my dad wore to his wedding.

Seriously though, thanks for taking the time to watch and comment.

Make sure you get some powdered sugar and dab it around one nostril for the proper effect. :D

I could probably scare up a pinky ring with a hidden compartment if that would help.

New drummer question...

So the basic beat is 1/8th notes on the hat, four on the floor kick with the snare on 2 and 4 right? Is that a triplet on the 4th beat of ~every other measure? I think I can pull this one off with more modest fills and minus some of the hi-hat barks or w/e they are called.

Your kit sounds really nice btw - awesome cover! I love that song.

MM

You have some consistency issues with your timing. I agree with the Dr., swagger would help. Make sure that leisure suit has at least one deep pocket somewhere... :)

New drummer question...

So the basic beat is 1/8th notes on the hat, four on the floor kick with the snare on 2 and 4 right? Is that a triplet on the 4th beat of ~every other measure? I think I can pull this one off with more modest fills and minus some of the hi-hat barks or w/e they are called.

Your kit sounds really nice btw - awesome cover! I love that song.

MM

Thanks! The original basic beat for this is pretty simple, and might be a loop. 1/8th notes on the hihats, quarters on the kick, 2 & 4 backbeats. The hihat is opened on the & of 4 every other measure. Everything is slightly swung. There is a triangle part in the original that I try to simulate with the ghost notes on the snare. The offbeat tambourine and all the ride stuff was added by me. You can definitely get away with modest or hardly any fills.

Let me know if you want the drumless track, which I could send your way.

Thanks! The original basic beat for this is pretty simple, and might be a loop. 1/8th notes on the hihats, quarters on the kick, 2 & 4 backbeats. The hihat is opened on the & of 4 every other measure. Everything is slightly swung. There is a triangle part in the original that I try to simulate with the ghost notes on the snare. The offbeat tambourine and all the ride stuff was added by me. You can definitely get away with modest or hardly any fills.

Let me know if you want the drumless track, which I could send your way.

Sorry for the late reply - yeah if you could send me the track that would be great. My email address is [email protected].

Thanks!

MM

Back