At what point did this seem like a good idea?

"Remember, This is a custom set of drums that Ludwig built for me and took them 4 months, So Do Not Call with a ridiculous Offer."

I'll bet he'd take $7,500.

Attachments

• Picture 8.png
    Picture 8.png
    326.5 KB · Views: 536
Hmmm, it would have to be extremely custom to have Legacy drums in those sizes and as concert toms. Ludwig doesn't like straying from their standard offerings, and getting them to cook up special SKUs to that extent is unheard-of, unless you're Ringo, Alex Van Halen, Joey Kramer, or Vinnie.

Also, one thing is for sure, those 6 and 8" concert toms are absolutely not Legacy shells - Ludwig can't install the rings on drums in those sizes.

$7900 isn't really that high for everything, but I doubt anybody wants a fairly bombastic kit like that anyway.

Ironic that it doesn't come with a Ludwig snare!

Bermuda

Hmmm, it would have to be extremely custom to have Legacy drums in those sizes and as concert toms. Ludwig doesn't like straying from their standard offerings, and getting them to cook up special SKUs to that extent is unheard-of, unless you're Ringo, Alex Van Halen, Joey Kramer, or Vinnie.

Also, one thing is for sure, those 6 and 8" concert toms are absolutely not Legacy shells - Ludwig can't install the rings on drums in those sizes.

$7900 isn't really that high for everything, but I doubt anybody wants a fairly bombastic kit like that anyway.

Ironic that it doesn't come with a Ludwig snare!

Bermuda

So what do you think they are? I would hope that anybody looking to actually buy those things would do some homework, but I am curious what somebody who knows as much about Ludwigs as you thinks this guy is trying to pass of as Legacy's.

No Ludwig snare is a crime with all the special order custom-ness that is that kit. Would be like ordering a Ferrari without the engine.

And how tall does one have to be to play that thing? 26" double bass with huge toms, I'm almost 6'-1" and would need some phone books for the throne and blocks on the pedals for sure.

No Ludwig snare is a crime with all the special order custom-ness that is that kit. Would be like ordering a Ferrari without the engine.

And how tall does one have to be to play that thing? 26" double bass with huge toms, I'm almost 6'-1" and would need some phone books for the throne and blocks on the pedals for sure.

I'm 5'7", and I had some 26"s before..., it all depends on tom size, mounting, and placement.

I agree about the snare. Nobody paid $15k for that kit with no snare, from Ludwig (based on what little I know). I want to see what gem that turns out to be...

So what do you think they are? I would hope that anybody looking to actually buy those things would do some homework, but I am curious what somebody who knows as much about Ludwigs as you thinks this guy is trying to pass of as Legacy's.

It's possible they could be Legacy drums (except for the 2 concert toms), but there are way too many custom sizes for Ludwig to have made that kit for a customer off the street, and most Ludwig artists don't have enough pull to make that happen, either. Seriously, those are favors reserved for the top few guys, and still a hassle to pull-off. If you knew what it takes for the factory to produce a drum, you'd understand why a kit like this is quite incredible.

I also wonder why there are such apparently cheap/used/old cymbals pictured on the kit. Wouldn't a drummer who wanted a kit like this also want newer cymbals?

I'll ask someone about this... :)

Bermuda

DOH! I completely missed this - those aren't Legacy badge options, the kit has to be a Classic Maple.

I'll have to check and see if Ludwig actually offered floor toms in those sizes, concert toms may or may not be standard.

But it wasn't an artist's kit, some dealer was apparently able to order those.

Bermuda

I think the lister is saying it's a 2009 "Legacy" as in 100th anniversary kit. It does say 9 ply Maple.
BUT, didn't all the 2009 drums have the 100th badge on them?
Everyone I know that got Ludwig drums that year had the 100th badge on them. Even my 6.5 Blackrolite had a 100th badge.

I think he's just playing up the 100th anniversary logo on the drum head. Which really means nothing.

15K for all that? Maybe LIST.

People are insane with their pricing. I've seen other kits for sale, and they'll say "5K invested", but for what the kit is, they either got raked over the coals, and paid list for everything, or are just inflating things on purpose to make it look better.

The bass drums are most likely done by Precision drums, or some place like that. 8 and 10 ply Keller shells are almost exactly the thickness of CM shells. If you get the edges done right, and the interior seal the same, it will make the same sound as a Ludwig made drum would. My 20x26" RS bass drum was done by Precision, and it sounds like a Ludwig, next to my other Ludwig drums. Precision also lists Ludwig as a company they have done work for.

I don't get the two sets of spurs. If I had a bass drum like that made, one set of spurs would be what I would have done. This person was copying what they did in the 70's and 80's with the old curved spurs.
I don't even think Eric Carrs (KISS) super long bass drums had 2 sets of those type of spurs (would have been Rocker style spurs then).

So, the non-standard drums on this kit are the 22x26" bass drums, and the 15x16 & 18x18 floor toms (I couldn't verify the concert tom depths.)

Here's why something like this seems unlikely: each drum has a SKU that pertains to the shell material, diameter, depth, finish, number/type of lugs, type of hoop, badge, throwoff, etc. Making a drum outside of the specs in a given SKU isn't possible, unless a new SKU with those specs is created in the system. For example, the boss can't just walk over and tell the worker to cut a shell an inch shorter; there has to be a sheet generated with that specification on it. And creating new SKUs is no easy trick. I don't know how much volume a dealer has to do in order to get someone at Ludwig to create at least 4 new SKUs for them, but it's a real stretch.

Bermuda

So, the non-standard drums on this kit are the 22x26" bass drums, and the 15x16 & 18x18 floor toms (I couldn't verify the concert tom depths.)

Here's why something like this seems unlikely: each drum has a SKU that pertains to the shell material, diameter, depth, finish, number/type of lugs, type of hoop, badge, throwoff, etc. Making a drum outside of the specs in a given SKU isn't possible, unless a new SKU with those specs is created in the system. For example, the boss can't just walk over and tell the worker to cut a shell an inch shorter; there has to be a sheet generated with that specification on it. And creating new SKUs is no easy trick. I don't know how much volume a dealer has to do in order to get someone at Ludwig to create at least 4 new SKUs for them, but it's a real stretch.

Bermuda
But a better question could be, - why would they ask for those sizes?

I'm thinking somebody bought replacement hardware, covered up a crappy shell, and is raking it in. I can't think of any other logical explanation.

Why does Ludwig put that black trim piece on all of their concert toms? Is it protective in some way, such as when you set the toms down during transit? Does it protect the bottom seam of the wrap from lifting from the shell? Or, is it purely cosmetic?

The trim is to protect the bottom edge, although I doubt they still cut bearing edges on both ends the way they used to back in the day. It's really just to keep the bottom from looking ragged after the drum is invariably set on assorted surfaces during its lifetime.

When they started putting trim on the concert toms in the late-'70s, it was a sleek piece of aluminum:

ludpfshell.jpg

:)

Bermuda

Looks like the epitome of all those 'I spent this much on this kewl drumset and I'm not getting one penny less than I demand'-type ads you see day in and day out all over the place. Almost like the kid seeing his garbage beginner set listed in a catalog for $699 and so demands $699 when he sells because he's also including all the 'cymbols' and the 'drum seat'.

Bottom line is no matter how special or 'cool' the kit was when you bought it, you will probably not make your money back. =)

Bottom line is no matter how special or 'cool' the kit was when you bought it, you will probably not make your money back. =)

Yep. When all those kewl SJC and Truth kits start coming up for sale, they'll fetch maybe 20% of what they cost new.

I always advise people to consider the resale value when purchasing anything that has longevity and might possibly get sold down the line. I mean, potentially everything we own is likely to be sold by our survivors, assuming we don't sell it first.

Even big name musical instruments aren't guaranteed to hold their value in the short term, and who knows what will be considered vintage or desirable to the next generation or two?

Bermuda

Back