Recording Basics

Pimento

Ok, well i HAVE recorded before, i have never done it myself.

Im looking to put some pieces together to be semi-portable (jam space-studio kind of deal) and i would like to be able to set up mics for the drums, and have some left for the guitar/vocals so we could set everything up and kind of leave it alone. My singer has experience with his little home setup, and has most of the mics (might need another set for my drums) but no experience with a more "high end" setup.

I have a good laptop (Toshiba Qosmio 300X) and an Imac to use. The Imac has garage band installed, i currently use it for toying with my V-drums. Ideally i would use the laptop. I would like to be able to record at our "studio" space, then bring my laptop home to edit everything either on one of my home computers or i may invest in some decent monitor speakers and create a little space for the laptop.

Essentially im thinking i would like some sort of mixer that i could plug into the laptop, with enough channels to supply a 5 piece band (6 piece drum kit) and software/other setup that would allow me to edit it at home.

Sorry for clarifying several times, just want to be as clear as possible.

As I mentioned on another similar thread, I use a TASCAM US-1641 for both studio and live recording. It's a very nice interface that'll give you 10 separate channels into your PC for under 300 bucks and comes with Cubase LE 5. At home, you won't use more than 10 for your drums, and live, you can definitely let go of a couple of mics for the drums and use them for the rest of the instruments.
Here's a sample of something I'm working on at the moment, see if you like the drum sound.

Fox.

Attachments

• TASCAM US-1641 Sample.wav
    8.3 MB · Views: 197
Yeah i dont mind the drum sound. Is there any way you could take a pic and show me how you have things set up?

Here you go. You can see how the interface connects directly to a desktop computer I have in that room, very simple; drums, mics, interface, PC, Cubase.

Fox.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 328
Thats what i was looking for. Looks like i have something to put my cash from my new job towards lol

I'm running a TASCAM US-1641 as well. You must have a real good computer to run this interface. I'm talking a dual or quad core with each core running at 2.8GHz or better, 4GB RAM or better, and a 7200rpm hard drive. Do not have anything else plugged into the USB ports on the computer when recording and do not run multiple programs when recording. Obviously, it's a resource intensive process.

You can actually run a total of 14 microphones into this interface, if you know what you're doing (and have a pre-amp to feed additional lines into the 1/4" balanced inputs on the US-1641). I'm running 8x mics into the US-1641 and up to 6x more mics into a Nady 8x pre-amp (yes, I have two pre-amps that are useless). The Nady has 1/4" balanced outs for each pre, and I run those into the 6x 1/4" balanced inputs on the TASCAM (2x on front, 4x on rear of interface). You can also press the button and run unbalance line into the 2x 1/4" inputs on front of the TASCAM (like for a guitar and/or bass cable direct input - no need for a direct box).

I'm running a close mic on each drum, two condensers overhead, and two large diaphragm condensers for room mics. I get a great sound by mixing all of this together.

The TASCAM comes with Cubase, but I use Cakewalk Sonar Producer 8.3. Mostly because I'm more familiar and comfortable with it (plus Roland has some nice how-to videos on YouTube when I need help doing something with it).

photo.php

photo.php

I'm running a TASCAM US-1641 as well. You must have a real good computer to run this interface. I'm talking a dual or quad core with each core running at 2.8GHz or better, 4GB RAM or better, and a 7200rpm hard drive. Do not have anything else plugged into the USB ports on the computer when recording and do not run multiple programs when recording. Obviously, it's a resource intensive process.

You can actually run a total of 14 microphones into this interface, if you know what you're doing (and have a pre-amp to feed additional lines into the 1/4" balanced inputs on the US-1641). I'm running 8x mics into the US-1641 and up to 6x more mics into a Nady 8x pre-amp (yes, I have two pre-amps that are useless). The Nady has 1/4" balanced outs for each pre, and I run those into the 6x 1/4" balanced inputs on the TASCAM (2x on front, 4x on rear of interface). You can also press the button and run unbalance line into the 2x 1/4" inputs on front of the TASCAM (like for a guitar and/or bass cable direct input - no need for a direct box).

I'm running a close mic on each drum, two condensers overhead, and two large diaphragm condensers for room mics. I get a great sound by mixing all of this together.

The TASCAM comes with Cubase, but I use Cakewalk Sonar Producer 8.3. Mostly because I'm more familiar and comfortable with it (plus Roland has some nice how-to videos on YouTube when I need help doing something with it).

photo.php

photo.php

Yeah, my laptop is dual core 2.8 and my desktop is quad 2.8, both are sufficiient for recording. Plus ill be given another desktop thats quad 2.8 but double the ram with an extra video card.

I may also use my imac for recording as well. The main issues im having is the "what gets the sound from the mics to the computer" and the TASCAM seems to be the best option thats affordable at the time.

Care to explain to me what is what and where it all goes? Im very curious to see the rest :)

For mics:

one mic on each drum (close). Slowly replacing everything with high end mics, but taking me some time (so wife doesn't kill me).

Two pencil condensers overhead, pencil condenser on hi-hats, and two large diaphragm condenser room mics.

All of that runs into either the Nady 8-channel Mic pre-amp or directly into the TASCAM US-1641 (which has 8x built in pre-amps that sound pretty good). Every XLR connection I have can output phantom power (I can run 14x pre-amp channels simo).

I run bass drum, snare, 4x toms, and overheads into the TASCAM directly. I run the hi-hats and room condensers into the Nady which in turn goes into the 1/4" line inputs on the rear of the TASCAM.

1x USB 2.0 from the TASCAM into my laptop (HP dv7, 2.9 GHz AMD Phenom, 4GB RAM, 640GB HDD). I'm using Sonic Producer 8.3.

Attached is a recording with this setup. Inludes me playing some guitar and bass as well (I used the unbalanced guitar input on the TASCAM (channels 9 and 10 on the front, which are switchable to balanced line inputs as well).

Attachments

• DNS - 04 -Demo 4.mp3
    6.1 MB · Views: 98
What was the rough cost of the setup and how portable is it? To me it looks like your rack case can just be picked up and moved, am i correct in this assumption? Is it possible to get a picture wit hthe whole front and back of that?

What was the rough cost of the setup and how portable is it? To me it looks like your rack case can just be picked up and moved, am i correct in this assumption? Is it possible to get a picture wit hthe whole front and back of that?

Pretty portable set-up. I end up with a laptop bag, rack case, and two Rubbermaid Action Packers with cables and mics. Plus whatever mic stands I need to carry also.

Costs:

$60 - SKB 4-space rack (used)
$50 - Furman power conditioner (used)
$50 - Behringer headphone amp (used)
$299 - TASCAM US-1641 (Amazon)
$100 - various cables (balanced cables, cables for monitors, etc)
$100 - M-Audio MV30 Monitors
$800 - HP dv7 Laptop

~$1400, counting the laptop. $600 if you don't. I was patient on the used pieces...The Furman I have is their top of the line which is about $150 new...got it in like new condition for $50.

Not including mics and mic cables in the cost here...that definately varies based on what you have to mic and what your preferences are.

One thing I did was replaced all of the power cables with 1' power cables (about $15 each), keeps everything tidy inside the rack case instead of having to tie up 10' of power cable. I'm using as short a cable as possible in the back to hook everything up...will add pictures later on tonight or tomorrow.

That was very helpful, thank you :)

I think i have a good idea to start things anyways. Thank you for all the help, any lil tips and tricks though hsould be put in this thread, might as well make it a "Dummies guide to recording" type thread

That was very helpful, thank you :)

I think i have a good idea to start things anyways. Thank you for all the help, any lil tips and tricks though hsould be put in this thread, might as well make it a "Dummies guide to recording" type thread

The caveat I'll throw on any USB recording interface is that you will have dropouts if you use a substandard computer. You have to have multiple cores running at least 2.8 GHz each, must have 4GB+ RAM, and a 7200rpm Hard Drive.

With those minimum specs, I've recorded 11 inputs/tracks simultaneously without a dropout. I know I could run 14 and not have an issue.

With a lesser computer (1.6GHz, 2GB ram, 5400rpm HDD), I was experiencing dropouts recording one track.

any lil tips and tricks though hsould be put in this thread, might as well make it a "Dummies guide to recording" type thread

The hardware is easy. Focus on what's after you've got your recording done with top of the line mics and it's sounding awful; you should thoroughly research/study on mixing and mastering if you want decent results when working with music production software.

Fox.

The hardware is easy. Focus on what's after you've got your recording done with top of the line mics and it's sounding awful; you should thoroughly research/study on mixing and mastering if you want decent results when working with music production software.

Fox.

Like how to use and apply compression, EQ, gates on the base tracks, then how to bump that into a bus, bounce those into a master...I've learned this the hard way.

http://princegeorge.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=257750798

Can anyone give me an opinion on this and if it will do some decent recordings? Im looking for something i can set up at the jam spot for now, and foro nly $125 i think its an ok deal.

You can get something better and more modern for about the same price. (that thing has a "JAZ" drive in it! Yikes!).

Look at something like a Fostex MR8 and a simple mixer for about the same price.

Back