Other than drums ....

i'm curious here since it's being brought up. how exactly do you define a piano as a percussion instrument?

My intuition would say that a piano is not a typical percussion instrument. In my view percussion instruments are not only defined by how they are played, but by the fact that they usually don't produce a definite tone, but a complex sound. Now I'm thinking about marimbas etc though, and there went my wisdom..........

The piano is not usually thought of as a percussion instrument because it never seems to be in the back in the percussion section. But it is indeed percussion since as I stated before it has hammers that hit the strings, not pluck them. Think of the hammers as drum sticks hitting strings. A series of fulcrums and levers connect the keys to the hammers. Just as you have fulcrum in your joints moving the body parts and the sticks.

Saxophone, vibraphone, bagpipes, piano(technically also a percussion instrument), concertina, pan flutes, the vocal chords as used by patton, keenan, or Bjork. An exceptional harpist is also amazing

I agree. To me, the cello is one of the most beautiful and expressive instruments. Along with that, I would have to also add the duduk. Is anyone familiar with the duduk?

I have heard it but wouldn't really consider myself familiar.

As someone that loves Cello you'd obviously be familiar with Apocalyptica.

Well i started out on piano when i was a kid. But my heart will always be with the bass. I played it in bands for years and just love the sound of it.

I don't really have one but only because everything I like the sound of sounds wrong without some form of drum backing it lol

Hard question cause there is so much wonderful sounding musical instruments out there. I`m going with the piano cause a great piano piece played in a church or a big hall etc is breathtaking.

Back