What did Monk mean? "Make the drummer sound good"

Good idea!

If the drummer sounds lame then the band sounds lame. Rushing musicians make us sound like we're lagging - feels bad and sounds bad.

I agree, I think Monk's comments meant that if the other musicains in the band have a poor time keeping, from an audience point of view, the drummer could be regarded as a poor time keeper, while the truth is laying with the other band mates, so Monk is saying that by having everybody playing on time, it would make the drummer sound good :)

I get the feeling it has to do with more than just time keeping. That skill seems like a bit of a prerequisite for professional musicianship.

Perhaps it's talking about an ensemble sound? A lot of directors nowadays use particular players for balance, like a principle player in the bass section. Then again, balance seems kind of obvious too.

Difficult question.

I take it as that usually we are the ones supporting everyone else, but if they are good enough they can support the drums right back and build up stronger themes.

he also said. just because you're not a drummer doesn't mean you don't have to keep time

and , pat your foot and and sing the melody in your head while you play

and , Don’t play everything (or every time); let some things go by. Some music just imagined. What you don’t play can be more important that what you do.

and, Don’t play the piano part, I’m playing that. Don’t listen to me. I’m supposed to be accompanying you!

which leads me to believe he just didn't want clutter, toe stepping, and wanted just all around good time, togetherness

ride the drummers time and flow as one

just my interpretation

which leads me to believe he just didn't want clutter, toe stepping, and wanted just all around good time, togetherness

ride the drummers time and flow as one

just my interpretation

That's pretty much my interpretation of it, given the context in which it was presented. Was just struggling to articulate my thoughts. No need to now, it's been done for me.

Cheers

Back