Big tom first?

Jon B

Hi all! Lately ive seen a few youtube videos of people putting their toms "backwards" or the big tom where the little one usually goes. For example, usually the set up is 12" 13" 16", but its set up as 13" 12" 16". What is the though behind this? I was thinking about it and it could work if you used only one of the rack toms and the floor tom in a fill, never down all of them. It could work really nicely with more toms, say 4 or 5? Any ideas on this? Any ideas on having the toms "out of order?"

I made a thread about this a wile ago. I am finna look for it.

Doing so looks cool, it also promotes creativity.

Last edited:
This is not a new thing.
Drummers have been doing this for years.
Some drummers simply prefer their kit set up that way.

This is not a new thing.
Drummers have been doing this for years.
Some drummers simply prefer their kit set up that way.

True. A lot of videos of Bernard Purdie on Youtube show his set in this configuration. I've found that it helps with triplet based fills, and figures of three that you want to go down the toms. Sextuplets are much easier.

My toms are set up small tom first but I usually go to the largest rack tom first and work my way out to each side from there.
I play two to the left of the bass and two down on my six piece so my larger rack tom is right in front of me.

My 12" is in the #1 spot and my 8" is in the #2 spot.

The 12" is my main tom, filling the usual functions of mounted and floor toms. The 8" is for effect or specific rhythms or fills so I don't need it under my nose.

I don't tend to play 16th note runs down the toms. I first heard about different configs from a Bill B interview in MD back in the day

So im thinking about trying this just as a way to get my creative juices flowing, any clues how i would setup a 8 10 12 16 tom set up? im thinking 12 10 8 16 or 8 12 10 16, but im not sure what would be better

Mike Mangini has split is kit down the middle with his smallest tom right in front of him.

L->R: 16/12/8/6/10/14/18/20

Again, everything is centered around the 6" and that 16" on the left is where a traditional hi hat would go, so his hats are remote.

Really interesting concept and it totally makes sense since you can still play descending "rock" rolls down the toms, just with this arrangement, your hands get farther apart as you go. The upside is that once you get used to running down that way, it's just as easy to come back up, which then opens up a ton of melodic possibilities that are way too awkward with a traditional tom setup.

The rest of his kit gets even more complicated but the reasoning behind it is just as solid.

Kenny Aronoff plays like that, mixing up 12/10 and 13/12 toms.Set ups like that go back to the late 30,with guys like Sonny Grier,and Louis Bellson,mixing up tom sizes.It does sound unique,kind of like you were starting a decending roll,and changed your mind,and went back.")

Steve B

I have three up and have done 10, 12, 8 for a while. Just something to try.

I do that sometimes.
Ill put my 14 inch floor to the left of my hi hat. Im right handed. My rack toms will be in 10/12 combination.

I like putting floor toms to the left of second snare, to be more open. I usually switch back after a while though.

Works good in odd playing situations. I don't know if i could do it permanently though

I think I saw a vid of Dom Famularo on youtube explaining he did the same thing so his drum fills/solos are melodically more interesting. Besides, he said "why not?"

Back