Any advice for the first gig?

hvymtlmike

My band's first gig is in 10 days (Hard Rock/Alternative). It's going to be a decent first show with 300+. I'm not worried about my ability to play. I practice constantly and have rehearsed our songs endlessly. I just wanted to know if you had any advice or warnings about anything to help out with nerves etc?

Use the bathroom before you go on stage.

Have a water bottle within reach.

Shine your shoes.

Wax your drum shells.

Clean the chrome and cymbals.

Make sure you have good sticks.

Definitely have plenty water during your set and try not to drink too much alcohol before/during, (although maybe one to calm the nerves if there are any)

You may also want to bring a towel/change of shirt. Tape for any blisters too!

And also a spare set of snare heads (batter and snare side) as this is the only drum you cant go without - its unlikely you would break a kick head, although it is possible.

The only piece of advice I have won't do you any good: relax!

If you were feeling relaxed about it, you wouldn't be posting, so accept the idea that you're nervous and will be on heightened alert. I've had a lot of "first gigs" in that I still get nervous at the smallest of gigs, and I've played some pretty big ones. It's a feature of performing for some of us, so learn to use it to your advantage. For example, with the nerves and adrenaline, you'll be less likely to make lazy mistakes and complacency won't be an issue.

Beyond that, tell yourself out loud that you're going to be fine and that you're going rock the place. If your force that message out from your conscious mind to your unconscious mind and body by repeatedly verbalizing it out loud, your mind and body will actually listen. Cool, eh?

Like the phenomenon of frowning when you're grumpy. It's not one-way that your frown is just in response to your foul mood - they're actually working together. To work this one the other way, next time your in a terrible mood, force yourself to smile. That actually works as a positive input to the brain and will improve your mood (YMMV) and other biometric stress. I was recently reading a study lately that showed a clear link that positive thought (as just one positive input to the brain) isn't just some hippy BS. Turns out the filthy hippies were on to something!

Good luck!

Try to eat a good meal a few hours before. Take care of yourself because when the babes hear you play, you'll need to have your strength.

Don't over think it.

Great advice in this thread.

Most has already been said

Bathroom before going on.
Extra good sticks within reach.
Have water (or something non alcoholic) near you to drink between songs.
RELAX. As it has been said, this is the hardest one to pull off. I still tell myself when I'm sitting on my throne 30 seconds before we start "Don't go nuts tonight. Stay calm and keep the tempos under light speed." But I have a hard time with that and can get awfully fatigued due to both adrenaline dumping and from playing too fast.

RELAX RELAX RELAX

I would prolly check all my gear caregully to make sure it was ready for the real deal. You should have the snare and kick heads and maybe a bass pedal too. Just in case I would think.

I would go crazy but if the shaft on your beater is just about to snap, you wold know and could fix it now not after the first kick in the first song...

#1 - make sure the bass drum will not slide! Ditto for the HH stand.

Focus on the music more than anything else and play good time. You may want to note down the tempos on your setlist.

Beyond that.... I think a big part of performing live is just learning how your instrument sounds (ie. performs differently) in different spaces. It's an acoustic instrument after all. It takes a lot of experience to know how to play different rooms.

Last thing: record the gig. Listening back will tell you even more than this forum!!

ENJOY.

Thank you all! Only 6 days away! I forgot to mention this will not only be my first gig with the band but period. The most I've ever played was small parties. I appreciate the input and will use every bit of it.

Drink some alcohol. It helps me loosen up.

Make sure you have extra sticks handy.

Have fun, or at least make it look like you're having fun. There's nothing worse than seeing people play music who look like bored statues.

People are going to a show to see people perform, not just listen to music. Put on a "show."

Practice getting on and off of the stage quickly. And also thank the sound guy/girl afterwards. That can pay off in the future...

Our playing varies from situation to situation....

Should you be disatisfied with your performance, keep that in mind and do not place to great a weight on that one situation.

I have seen new drummers get very discouraged, and even quit, following a first bad experience...or a first bad band situation.

Hope for the best...be ready for the worst...and expect somewhere inbetween...but dont let one single bad experience drive you away!...or even a few!

Lastly, always act professional and you will gain a valuable reputation.

Have a great time!

S L O W D O W N !!
You may feel inclined to play ahead of the beat and rush the song - being mindful of this may help you stay in time

Double-check the gear - then check it again

Get your kit set up as close to your regular set-up
As possible

Breathe !!

-Be able to play without monitors, just in case there's a problem, or in case someone's an idiot.
-Show up early.
-If you're on first, you can set your drums up on stage right away, otherwise get everything on their stands and such off the stage and be able to quickly put them up, then when you're done, get everything off the stage as quick as you can, everything still on the stands, then disassemble only when the stage is clear.
-Offer to help the other bands, and the sound guy, but if you don't know what you're doing, don't.
-have a hole in your kick's resonant head, makes it way easier to mic.
-Make sure the sound guy can handle your kit before the day of, My first gig, the sound guy had only one kick mic... I play a double bass kit...
-Make sure your bandmates know how to help you with your stuff, and you know how to help them.

Since you guys took the time to give me advice I wanted to let you know how it went. Well I had a drum rug marked where stands go and there were cables running all over underneath so had to wing it, had inner ear monitors that I had rehearsed with and the sound guy didn't have a place to hook them up and was nervous as hell before going on with a sold out 350 there....that being said.....I NAILED IT!!! Once I started it was like autopilot and the biggest adrenaline rush ever!!!! It was amazing I was wailing and rockin the crowd tossing drum sticks and interacting... thank you guys so much for preparing me. For all that didnt go as planned I sucked it up and killed it. It was a bttle of the bands and our band got a huge crowd reaction and were selected to go on to the final round!!!!!

Back