British Band Viola Killed

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
I didn't know them but figured our British members may have.

The four members of British indie band Viola Beach and their manager have died in a car crash in Sweden.
Kris Leonard, River Reeves, Tomas Lowe and Jack Dakin and manager Craig Tarry were killed when their car plunged more than 25m (82ft) from a highway bridge into a canal.

The accident happened in the early hours of Saturday near Stockholm.

BBC Radio 1's Huw Stephens said the Warrington band had toured with bigger bands and were "incredibly promising".

"We can confirm that five British nationals died in a car accident in Sweden on February 13," the Foreign Office said.

"We are in contact with local authorities and supporting the families at this very difficult time."

Terrible news. So sad young lives cut short-my empathy and sympathy to the families and my sincere regards.

Awfully sad news

I used to live in Warrington so I've seen a lot of old friends in that area today comment on this who knew the band/their manager personally.

Tragic loss, just a young set of lads playing music away from home.

Rest in peace, thoughts are with their loved ones.

Very sad, too many musicians this year.

I read on dailymail they were hit or run off the road by a drunk driver. Sad.

I heard, on the BBC that the car crashed through a barrier on a bridge that was opening. Plunged into a canal. The accident investigation should sort out the details.

Things like this can happen very easily on the road. Lots of late nights in a row, partying, not sleeping well, driving long distances everyday.

Our bass player ran us off the road one time and nearly flipped the van when he fell asleep at the wheel. A friend of mine lost his band on the spot when they had an accident on their way to a gig and two of the members called it quits. They were doing very well and had a shot at a major label record deal too. Another Vancouver band we used to tour with lost 3 of their friends whose tour van collided head-on with a semi. I was driving 90 mph on I5, late for a gig in Portland, when the van's rear universal joint flew apart and nearly shook us off the road before I could get her back under control. We were on an overpass when it happened, so we were very lucky that no one was hurt. Driving through ice storms and blizzards because we had to make it to the next gig. Thinking back, I was very lucky a bunch of times.

Back