lessons for lefties

878maurice204

Hello,

I am wanting to know if anybody would know of any instructional books or DVDs for lefties. I am now retired and buying a drum kit was on my bucket list, I finally went out and bought a set of Pearl Masterworks and am very excited to start learning more than the bit I know. As I am older and don't expect to become a rockstar Ha Ha, I just want to have some fun with some of my buddies.

I am dominant left with both hands and feet therefore I have my kit set up with the hi hat on the right and kick for my left foot. I have tried setting up as a right handed kit and playing open but it doesn't feel right.

I have been looking at some great stuff that is all for righties but in my case I have to switch everything over like when they say right I need to think of using my left etc.. it's not that bad but it would be nice to just concentrate on the lesson instead of firstly having to get my little brain to recognize the switch.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Maurice

There aren't many lefty-specific lesson options or the like.

You might want to look into 'open-handed' playing. There are certain advantages to playing this way over the traditional 'crossed' approach.

Otherwise, it's a case of whatever feels more comfortable/convenient and sticking with one method that works for you for now.

As a career lefty, I can tell you that you don't have to change anything. Your set up is likely like mine as seen in my photos. Simply follow all right-hand specific instructions - backwards. Hat, snare, kick... technique is obviously the same only from the right instead of the left. Enjoy your new quest. I would also advise getting a good teacher and learn the basics and proper technique as you advance along your new path.

Rod Morganstein is a lefty and has plenty of instructional stuff online. I believe they are sponsored by Vic Firth and Evans. I like watching him, but as a right handed drummer, I do have to translate his lessons. Check him out.

Thanks for the info and suggestions, I will look into Rod Morgenstein's lesson videos.
I am going for my first lesson that I booked yesterday with a 25 year left handed teacher, can't wait.
Thanks again

Maurice

I play lefty and you just have to get used to translating everything, which does get frustrating from time to time. Glad you got a lefty teacher, good luck.

Back