Lars Ulrich

first off: NOOOOOOOOOOO! WHYYYYYYYY!!! lol

secondly, you don't have to like him as a drummer or as an individual. yeah there's better drummers than him, but no matter how good you are, there's always someone better!!! take what you can from any drummer, apply it where needed, and you'll be world-class every time! i'm not a fan of him any more, but hell, i remember listening to their stuff as a kid and just going rip shit! they gave me, a shy, nerdy kid (at the time, still nerdy not so shy lol) the feeling like i was ten feet tall... now that's powerful! i used those feelings their music gave me to confront the fears and anxieties in my life up to that point.... mainly the pricks who punked me for lunch money and "do my homework or else" threats.

I think he is a very influential drummer when it comes to the music that he created with Metallica. There is no doubt about that, but when it comes to his skill as a drummer he is average, specially live. But still he achieved great success with Metallica and he is well known with his style of drumming. He makes millions and platinum records, so who am I to judge.

He's a drummer in a rock band and he made it work. He's a band-drummer.

I think the reason why some guys get annoyed is that because of Metallica's fame lots of kids hail him as "the best drummer in the world." And this is common on other instruments, too. Clapton is still God to many. They just like his music and the way he plays. Nothing wrong with that. I guess Jordison is the new drum guy.

Obviously, if you're really into your instrument and you've studied and learned lots of styles you know how much there is to any kind of music and how wide the music world is and how much skills many session cats have and so on, but so what?

These ideas aren't Lars's fault. He just likes playing Metallica brand metal music and I think he's quite involved with the business side of things as well, just like Jordison after what I've heard. They're making a pretty good living doing what they love. Good for them.

Do personally listen to their music? No. Is the quality IMPO a bit like Glenn Madeiros og Milli Vanilli to me? Yes. It's simply uninteresting and I don't particularly like metal as a whole. However, that's my problem. To each his/her own. They represent what most of kids out there dig and can relate to. I just have to accept that there won't ever be that many young hot chicks at Herbie Hancock shows with Vinnie on drums. Just the way it is.

Do what you love and let others do what they like.

He's a novice when it comes to technique, and has never really improved. I think his best drumming was probably on Kill Em' All. As far as his popularity goes, I think it would make him one of the most overrated drummers of all time, given he plays for the best selling metal band ever. He gets the job done but nothing he does is innovative or unique. I can't imagine how he'd maintain his current level of playing if Metallica weren't obsessed with touring.

He's a novice when it comes to technique, and has never really improved. I think his best drumming was probably on Kill Em' All. As far as his popularity goes, I think it would make him one of the most overrated drummers of all time, given he plays for the best selling metal band ever. He gets the job done but nothing he does is innovative or unique. I can't imagine how he'd maintain his current level of playing if Metallica weren't obsessed with touring.

Metallica itself was innovative at one time which makes Lars at one point in time, Innovative

He fit in perfectly for the music Metallica was playing. And no one can ever say he doesn't get an A+ for effort. The guy throws everything and the kitchen sink into his playing, and he is visually very exciting - over the top is what metal drummers were by definition. It isn't my favorite genre of music, so I can't really comment on how is from a techncal perspective.

+1 on that. Lars did/does what obviously worked with the music. Metallica were the band that got me drumming and I learned to play by watching him (Enter Sandman was the first song I played). Don't get me wrong, I've watched and learned from a multitude of other drummer since, but he was pivotal in getting me playing the drums and enjoying it.

Best drummer? No

Does it matter? No!

Hell Yes on this!
I'm really tired of everyone bagging on Lars. I read an interview recently with him and in it he came clean and even stated he doesn't practice to get better. He jams along with his ipod and just tries to keep up what he already can do. Now, I don't agree with that approach at all, but at least he can be honest with himself about his level of drumming.

No he's no the best drummer, but Metallica has always been and always will be one of my favorite bands, so I don't care if he's the best or not.

His drumming was maybe not very technical, but musically excellent throughout the 80s. He definitely has an ear for James' rhythm parts. Then it shifted from the forefront of the riffs, but it was rock solid holding down the fort in the 90s.

I can't listen to the 2000s albums and make any sense out of his drumming though. I can hear Lars licks, sure, but not any of the qualities he displayed in the 80s or 90s, in terms of making his own musical statement or best complimenting that of the other guys. Maybe they're there in some way, but I can't hear it.

In my opinion
he is not that bad
he can surely play amazing stuff
but does not show them and plus
which other drum beats would fit
in metallica's songs?nothing but the beat lars gives
although many people hate the album st anger
i feel his drumming was the best in that album.

In my opinion he is not that bad

I think he's a lot better than "not bad". There are many better players but you can still be a damn good drummer and be worse than the many amazing players out there.

He's a pro and he's been churning it out on the world stage in front of huge crowds for decades. For perspective, how many of us will do much more than draw crowds at local bars? Maybe some interstate tours?

Local ... state ... national ... regional ... world ... it's a long way to the top ...

i agree that he lot better then that
but you have to agree because
of metallica he is what he is today
without metallica he would be shit

Why, just why are some people cracking their brain as to "but withouth Metallica"... This is theory/philosophy/imagination/whatever. REALITY has it that Lars ACTUALLY IS in Metallica so why can't you accept that fact? But do theoretical judgements instead? Does it make you a happier person to say that "but without... he would be shit"? What benefit does it bring YOU PERSONALLY to play the philosopher on Lars? Let him be what he is, he owes you absolutely nothing.

Imagine that without Metallica, Lars would do the music he likes or can pull out on the drums. Again, does he owe anybody anything? Do YOU owe anybody anything (when doing music)? We all pursuit our musical interests, don't we? Lars had way more success doing that than most of us have/ever will, and hey, that's great for him. Who cares for his technical skills? He himself doesn't care!! So why do you.

Last edited:

You should read more into Metallica before you make your proclaimation.

Lars pretty much is Metallica. He was/is (from the start and still today) the driving force behind the band - he provided all the momentum that drove them as a band and as a business. Sure he's full of himself and has a loud mouth - both of those things helped him become the HUGE success he is today.

Lars was a pivotal player in the tape swapping scene, which was a huge influence in Metallica's sound as they formed. He brought music to the rest of the band that they might not have heard, including stuff from over seas (New Wave etc).

So before you start saying that he'd be nothing without Metallica - remember that there wouldn't actually be a Metallica without HIM.

that's like saying Ringo Starr would be nothing if it weren't for the Beatles

actually yeah
thanks for making me realise i was wrong
and i know he started the band
but i was just saying
anyway i was wrong so it does not matter

when i was really into metallica lars ulrich was like a drumming god to me i learnt so mch from listening and playing along to metallica songs but now that i have ray luzier, joey jordison and all the great players out there ive become to like his drumming allot less but full respect to him for influencing so many people to drum to thrash metal like me

Lars Ulrich and my valuable lesson in life

Since picking up the sticks a few years back I've been reading anything I can get my hands on about drummers and drumming, especially rock drummers coz that's where my heart is. I had noticed quite a lot of negative opinions on Lars Ulrich so when I saw the S&M Concert DVD for sale in a second hand shop for $4 I thought what the hell have I got to loose, I'll check him out myself. Listened to it for the first time yesterday and holy shit man, what an awesome dynamic drummer, I was blown away, I'm into rock not metal but this concert with the orchestra is epic and Lars Ulrich is a rock druming powerhouse, I was really impressed. Sure he may not have the trickiest chops or play the most complex patterns but wow man his energy and musicality for what he's playing is second to none, very impressive. I still aint a huge fan of metal but this Metallica dvd really is a musical master piece and brilliantly produced, these guys are effin good! It reminded me of just how important it is to reach our own thoughts and conclusions especially with such a subjective topic as music, I will never again judge another drummer purely by their image or the opinions of others.

Re: Lars Ulrich and my valuable lesson in life

I will never again judge another drummer purely by their image or the opinions of others.
Pretty good wisdom, there. And it can be applied in a lot of circumstances besides just "drummers".​

Back