A good night of drumming

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Before I head out to work for the day, I just want to express what a joy it was playing drums last night. Here's why...

I put a Craigslist ad in Sunday. Within 12 hours somebody calls. Talked with him the next day about some original project. These music discussions sometimes grate my soul when they try doing the 20 questions thing about my methods and stuff, then they never call back. Then about 3:00 PM yesterday I get another call from a different guy. So I call him back. We talk a bit, no 20 questions, just the basics. He asked me if I wanted to jam tonight (last night). I said sure (my only plan was to watch a couple movies). It was close by. I get there and it was just the coolest little warehouse studio. They were all into the Grateful Dead and they were playing videos and exposing me to all these amazing drummers playing that style of music. I didn't know any of the songs, but we jammed for 4 hours and they asked me back. I got to play a Starclassic kit with some nice Paiste cymbals and my AAX crash added to the mix. Man, it blended so nice with the Paistes. I fell in love with that Tama kit and it was all set up on a rack. I've never played a rack set before and it was nice and easy. I got home and I didn't have the usual sore aching right shoulder with arthritis. I'm wondering if the way I set up my drums needs to change because I didn't get any aches and pains whatsoever from 4 hours of drumming. I didn't get any blisters either. It has really got me wondering....

Sounds like a great experience and one from which you actually walked away with some valuable information. A good nite all around...congrats!

I love days like that, where it all seems to fall together. I had one yesterday as well, similar to your experience - a cold call for what turns out to be an audition. Makes you feel good, dunnit?

I am firm believer in mind over matter when it comes to the arm pains etc.. When your mind is elsewhere, you dont feel those things. It is so nice to have the good without the bad.

Sounds like a great experience and one from which you actually walked away with some valuable information. A good nite all around...congrats!

--Yes, it's so much better when it's not a pay to play rehearsal. What else is cool is that I get to try a lot of different kits. I've always liked and played Tama. They never disappoint me.

I love days like that, where it all seems to fall together. I had one yesterday as well, similar to your experience - a cold call for what turns out to be an audition. Makes you feel good, dunnit?

Yeah, and these guys were really cool and they played freakin' incredible. If I closed my eyes it was like jamming to J. Garcia. He is one of my favorite guitarists. Cold calls are good. It seems like the best musicians don't waste a lot of time BS'ing on the phone.

I am firm believer in mind over matter when it comes to the arm pains etc.. When your mind is elsewhere, you dont feel those things. It is so nice to have the good without the bad.

I always get a deep ache in my right shoulder from playing that long. I had an accident in the snow a long time ago and drumming bother it a little, but not last night. I don't feel it when I'm playing because , you know, the adrenaline is rushing and the endorphins are working their magic. It's when I stop playing about an hour, the it's time for an aspirin or a few shots of whiskey. I'm just thinking it might be the way I set my drums up. I need to re-think my approach to set-up if I can go without that arthritic pain.

Love my 1 up 2 down for the low ride cymbal. I sit high too which just seems more ergonomic- some guys are practically sitting on the floor. Maybe a little slope down from my hips to knees.

Love my 1 up 2 down for the low ride cymbal. I sit high too which just seems more ergonomic- some guys are practically sitting on the floor. Maybe a little slope down from my hips to knees.

The seat could have something to do with it. His seat was a good one that was a bit higher than what I'm used to. The "floor" was a 14" rack tom that was quite a bit higher and at a good slant, but really easy to reach. The ride was about where I put it, but it was a little higher and at a good slant. Maybe 30 degrees or more...hard to say, but it was noticeably different than my usual set-up. I like the idea of having a little slope down from hips to knees too. Yep. It may be time for a few changes here and there.

I have been listending to people rave about the roc-n-soc thrones and just finally got one with a used kit and it is night and day different from any other I have used. So much better and more comfortable too. I think it is one of the most overlooked parts of the kit. Try one if you can. I would have bought one sooner had I known.

This is what makes drumming all worth it!

I have been listending to people rave about the roc-n-soc thrones and just finally got one with a used kit and it is night and day different from any other I have used. So much better and more comfortable too. I think it is one of the most overlooked parts of the kit. Try one if you can. I would have bought one sooner had I known.

You know, the chair did have a back, so it may have been a Roc n soc. I'll check it out tomorrow. A good seat is so important, especially for a big guy.

This is what makes drumming all worth it!

Amen and hallelujah!

Post update:

Nope.It was a Gibralter seat with a back. There was a Roc n soc in the studio though. Felt just fine after the second night too. It was good to jam with such talented musicians. There is another drummer that plays with them. I think he will be going at it next time. I hope we can get 2 drum sets in there and try a jam with 2 drummers. That would be far out man.

Last edited:
Back