Picking up your bass drum

I've got a big ass 26x14 bass drum, and I always get nervous whenever I have to move it around. I hate picking it up by the rims for fear that I will crack them due to the weight of the drum. Anyone ever experience this before? It's a 2015 Classic Maple kit so I'm sure the rims aren't crap, but nevertheless. I always try to grab by the rail mount at the top and the pedal at the bottom, both on opposing sides (front/back) to ensure even weight distribution. I just saw this video and almost had a heart attack at the thought of doing this to my drum!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJYbHgYmlWQ&t=19m45s

I swear if I did that my hoops would crack!

It's a drum mate. You pound the thing mercilessly with a beater. They're made to be hit and they're certainly made to be moved around......often from one side of the country to another.....night, after night, after night.

I have NEVER seen one fall apart through anything other than outright mistreatment, abuse or neglect.

Don't be precious.......pick it up......by the hoops.......and worry no more.

Seriously, when I carry a big bass drum I sometimes march with it like I'm in a marching band. But no straps here, just my hands on the rims!

One of my Ludwig Bass Drums is celebrating its 50th this year. Still going strong! There's guys n gals on here with older kits that that.

Just don't throw them down stairs, or let singers or guitarists jump on them.

If it wasn't meant to be picked up using the rims, it would have handles. Or a warning sticker, like some domestic appliances.

I imagine manufacturers are well aware of how we pick them up, and if the rims weren't suitable then they would have done something to avoid being flooded with returned, damaged bass drums, and complaints.

I've never even thought of the possibility of breaking a hoop when picking up a bass drum - and I've never heard of this happening to anyone.

Hoops will break for 3 reasons I can think of -

1. Bad handling (dropping the drum, repeatedly banging it against door frames etc - or some clown stacking a guitar amp on it).
2. Bad tuning practice (cranking down on a lug while others are loose).
3. Faulty product.

Has anyone ever broken a hoop just by holding them whilst carrying the drum?

Your hoops will not crack by lifting the drum. Mine is bigger than yours, and I've only ever lifted it by the hoops, nothing else really makes sense.

Picking it up by the hoops (like someone said earlier, carrying it like a marching bass drum) is just fine.. Once in a blue moon between handling it like that and actually playing it, you might have to check the tuning of the heads but that's about it.

For my 20" kick though it has the tom mount so I stick one or two fingers in the hole with the other hand cradling the bottom lightly and carry it like a bowling ball once in a while.. I have pretty strong hands/forearms so I can get away with it!

Mine is bigger than yours, and I've only ever lifted it by the hoops, nothing else really makes sense.

That's a fun quote out of context.

Sorry, just trying to get through Friday before a long weekend.

That's a fun quote out of context.

Sorry, just trying to get through Friday before a long weekend.

If there is ever a double-entendre in one of my posts, consider it intentional. It almost always is.

Good to have another east-bayer on here, btw. Post more!

Back