Question on Great Hands For a Life Time DVD, and JoJo Mayer'd Secret Weapons's DVD and Moeller

haroldo_psf

I currently own Tommy Igoe's DVD, which is awesome, by the way. I have JoJo Mayer's Secret weapons for the Modern Drummer coming in the mail.

I have been learning the drums for two months now (from this weekend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuA419hlem4 ), and I ear a lot about Moeller method.

My question is, are the techniques covered in these two DVDs related to Moeller method?

I was just wondering maybe they don't explicitely call it "Moeller" in the DVDs, but in essence it has the same fundamentals?

Jojo covers the moeller technique in some detail. You've probably got other things to think about before detailed study of moeller though, if you're only two months into this!

Jojo covers the moeller technique in some detail. You've probably got other things to think about before detailed study of moeller though, if you're only two months into this!

Thanks. Ok, so it's not a "proper hand technique" thing, it's more of an advanced tool for seasoned drummers, or so it sounds. Got it.

The concept may still be quite useful, as it's to do with efficient transfer of energy, but you have other things to work on first. Judging from your video I would work on using your wrists more, your right arm is very stiff and that'll limit your speed significantly.

...but you have other things to work on first. Judging from your video I would work on using your wrists more, your right arm is very stiff and that'll limit your speed significantly.

I noticed that too. You looked like your hand got tired before the 1:30 mark.

Go check out the Igoe DVD again. I think it was towards the beginning where he used a basketball analogy talking about how loosely you should grip; letting the stick do the work. "Dribbling" the stick, so to speak. Maybe try another one handed sixteenth groove at a slightly slower tempo until you can do it relaxed, then bump up the tempo.

Overall, your feel was pretty good, no real timing issues, etc. Get your hands in shape and you'll be set. It's something I'm working on too.

I just recently switched to traditional grip after about 6 years of matched. It's almost like starting all over again. I'm revisiting a lot of hand exercises, rudiments, etc. Tommy Igoe's DVD is one of the best I've seen for hand technique. I don't have Jojo's.

Let us know how it goes for you.

I noticed that too. You looked like your hand got tired before the 1:30 mark.

Go check out the Igoe DVD again. I think it was towards the beginning where he used a basketball analogy talking about how loosely you should grip; letting the stick do the work. "Dribbling" the stick, so to speak. Maybe try another one handed sixteenth groove at a slightly slower tempo until you can do it relaxed, then bump up the tempo.

Overall, your feel was pretty good, no real timing issues, etc. Get your hands in shape and you'll be set. It's something I'm working on too.

I just recently switched to traditional grip after about 6 years of matched. It's almost like starting all over again. I'm revisiting a lot of hand exercises, rudiments, etc. Tommy Igoe's DVD is one of the best I've seen for hand technique. I don't have Jojo's.

Let us know how it goes for you.

Thanks for the great feedback. I will keep working on my hands. I remember that "bouncing the ball" section of Igoe's DVD clearly. I just have to practice more.

Back