Improving your bass drum coordination

Brodown

I have spent a lot of time over the past few months improving my hand and finger speed. Rather than playing along to songs all practice I would spend an hour doing doubles, paradiddles, single stroke rolls accenting with my left hand. But just as I feel my hand speed is at a much better level than it was, now I feel its my footwork that needs improving but I am not sure how to go about improving my footwork. What exercises should I do?

I have spent a lot of time over the past few months improving my hand and finger speed. Rather than playing along to songs all practice I would spend an hour doing doubles, paradiddles, single stroke rolls accenting with my left hand. But just as I feel my hand speed is at a much better level than it was, now I feel its my footwork that needs improving but I am not sure how to go about improving my footwork. What exercises should I do?

Do the same exercises you did with your hands, but so them with your feet. I used to do Paradiddles for 10 mins, the next day, I'd do singles, the next day doubles, the next do four stroke rolls, etc. Start them at about 80 bpm, and increase the tempo slightly each time you practise them.

Back